Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2019, 03:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chanteau
State: Arizona
THOR #12515
Sink leak

We’re in San Antonio at a campground and opened up two cans of tuna, went to pour liquid down the kitchen sink drain, followed by running water, and noticed water coming from under the counter. Opened the under cupboard door to find a cracked nut that holds the drain line on to the sink strainer. After investing further, I noticed that the whole long line was not supported in any way with straps all the strain was on that nut that cracked. Piss poor construction in my school of thoughts. Luckily Ace hardware had an exact match and I was able the repair it but........ my wife has a highly sensitive nose and could smell the tuna water that did slightly absorb into the raw wood under the sink. So now she’s majorly pissed and wants to trade in the RV. Or have them tear out the cupboards and replace the wood that soaked up the smelly tuna water. Hey, she can’t even stand to have me cook inside even coffee has to be brewed outdoors. What can I say, I still love her and married for better or for worse. [emoji28]. But now we’re going to look for a more “top of the line” brand with a kitchen outside. What will be interesting is that we paid cash for the RV and if we move to a fifth wheel or pull behind, I think they will owe us money, cause they may be less expensive that our C Class RV. Oh my what fun......

Old 01-31-2019, 04:37 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Hmmm...tuna juice down the drain....not good. We try hard to keep anything food related out of the tanks as things will rot and you'll never get the smell out. Pour some baking soda down the drains now...add a good bit of dish detergent and dump tank. Sorry you are having so much trouble. We bought an Open Range 323RLS TT in 2015 but realized it was too much work for what we do with it...traded for the C. We also looked at Grand Design. Both are high end and built very well. The usable space while camping in trailers is so much better than motorhomes but the trade off is usability when traveling and the amount of set up time it takes...plus you're at least 20 feel longer. Whatever you do..."Happy Wife-Happy Life". She's all that matters!!! (no tuna down the drain)

PS: Pour some baking soda on the area the juice dripped onto the cabinetry and let it sit for a while. It will pull the smell out and maybe salvage the deal.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:47 PM   #3

Model: compass 23tw
State: California
THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeroe66 View Post
We’re in San Antonio at a campground and opened up two cans of tuna, went to pour liquid down the kitchen sink drain, followed by running water, and noticed water coming from under the counter. Opened the under cupboard door to find a cracked nut that holds the drain line on to the sink strainer. After investing further, I noticed that the whole long line was not supported in any way with straps all the strain was on that nut that cracked. Piss poor construction in my school of thoughts. Luckily Ace hardware had an exact match and I was able the repair it but........ my wife has a highly sensitive nose and could smell the tuna water that did slightly absorb into the raw wood under the sink. So now she’s majorly pissed and wants to trade in the RV. Or have them tear out the cupboards and replace the wood that soaked up the smelly tuna water. Hey, she can’t even stand to have me cook inside even coffee has to be brewed outdoors. What can I say, I still love her and married for better or for worse. [emoji28]. But now we’re going to look for a more “top of the line” brand with a kitchen outside. What will be interesting is that we paid cash for the RV and if we move to a fifth wheel or pull behind, I think they will owe us money, cause they may be less expensive that our C Class RV. Oh my what fun......

Maybe you can replace the raw wood that was soiled,
Just a thought.
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote