Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2018, 12:42 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #6245
Slide awning going nuts in wind

Hello I own a 2017 34.3 Thor Miramar. I've been having trouble with the large slide topper flapping violently in windy conditions. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Mike

Old 04-10-2018, 12:03 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Have you climbed up top, and checked to make sure that it's still firmly fastened in place?
(I never thought about the wind affecting these... )
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:41 PM   #3

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Depending on the wind direction, and especially if its a large slide topper, they can flap annoyingly in strong winds. In our former DP, very large slides, when on the Oregon coast, the winds flapped it so much, it kept us up at night. If the winds get too strong, its best to pull the slide in until the winds subside. Had. to do that too, in some really strong winds.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:51 PM   #4

Model: Hurticane 34J
State: Massachusetts
THOR #1987
I would assume there’s some way to adjust the tension, though I’m not sure how. I can hear mine flap in strong wind sometimes, but not enough to bother me. I know some people who camp in snowy weather sometimes put like a beach ball or something similar under the slide topper to give it more of “pitch” so snow doesn’t collect on top of the slide. This might work for you to make more tension.

I’m not sure what you have for a coach. I have a full wall slide. Thing has to be 28’-30’ long, I couldn’t imagine what would happen if the ball blew down to the middle. I’d have to send one of my kids to climb on top of the slide under the topper to get it lol.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:56 PM   #5

Model: 22FE
THOR #5330
You don't need a child to climb on top to retrieve the ball, attach a light line to the ball with silicone or an adhesive, push the ball under the topper to the middle and you can retrieve it by pulling on the line. Balls are not used just for snow but for wind and rain also.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:27 PM   #6

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Depending on your brand of topper there is ways to add tension, but you'll have to look up your brand to find the procedure. I added tension to mine when I replaced the fabric due to winds having it's way with them. I also found that all the beach ball technique did was stretch the fabric & flopped worse from then on, as they say "results may vary".
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:34 PM   #7

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I have had mine make so much noise I decide to pull in the bedroom slide so I could sleep. The tension is automatic so if wind gets under them they will billow and then retract. In my case it was the squeaking sound of it retracting that kept me awake. You don't notice it in the daytime but when it is quiet at night...then it can be quite annoying. I haven't found a solution and it doesn't happen often. I also know it won't hurt anything so I just relax and "let it go".
Old 04-10-2018, 05:12 PM   #8

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
stick a thick blanket in both ends
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:16 PM   #9

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
State: Florida
THOR #9721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
I have had mine make so much noise I decide to pull in the bedroom slide so I could sleep. The tension is automatic so if wind gets under them they will billow and then retract. In my case it was the squeaking sound of it retracting that kept me awake. You don't notice it in the daytime but when it is quiet at night...then it can be quite annoying. I haven't found a solution and it doesn't happen often. I also know it won't hurt anything so I just relax and "let it go".
Same experience here. Sometimes we just bear through it or if we expect super heavy winds, we pull the slides in.

I'm really more concerned about the slide toppers tearing or ripping. I've read on other forums where some have put in some inflatable balls (such as beach balls) between the slide and the topper itself to keep some tension on it.

I have also seen it suggested and witnessed using cords to strap the topper down. I'm a bit apprehensive to do that as I think that would be a sure way to rip your slide topper awning along the line of the cord.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:49 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
You don't notice it in the daytime but when it is quiet at night...then it can be quite annoying.
It almost makes you wish that your "Best-Half" snored louder...
Old 04-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #11

Model: Thor Tuscany 40DX
State: Colorado
THOR #5043
Just like Turnerfam says. We winter in Quartzsite that has a lot of wind. I rolled up a length of old stiff carpet and put in both ends of the three slide on our 40' Tuscany. The wind tunnel effect cause the slide cover to flap. Doubt
any tension adjustment will help much? Wind noise gone! But with rain it does puddle in the middle so have to drain it. Cheap fix but does require a ladder!
Old 04-11-2018, 02:19 PM   #12

THOR #6245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Have you climbed up top, and checked to make sure that it's still firmly fastened in place?
Yes and thanks for the reply
Old 04-11-2018, 02:27 PM   #13

THOR #6245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofwoof View Post
I would assume there’s some way to adjust the tension, though I’m not sure how. I can hear mine flap in strong wind sometimes, but not enough to bother me. I know some people who camp in snowy weather sometimes put like a beach ball or something similar under the slide topper to give it more of “pitch” so snow doesn’t collect on top of the slide. This might work for you to make more tension.

I’m not sure what you have for a coach. I have a full wall slide. Thing has to be 28’-30’ long, I couldn’t imagine what would happen if the ball blew down to the middle. I’d have to send one of my kids to climb on top of the slide under the topper to get it lol.
Haha yeah I have a huge full wall slide, picturing the kids trying to get beach balls out is hilarious. It's more than annoying it is starting to rip. I've had to pull it in the last two trips.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:40 PM   #14

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
From the comments on this thread it appears this is more of a problem with the full body slides. I guess it is one more reason I am glad I elected to not get the full body and chose instead the 2 individual smaller slides.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:50 PM   #15

THOR #10354
Flapper reduction

They sell long inflatable tubes for swimming pool cover weight that you normally fill with water for pools but maybe you can just fill these with air and block both sides of your cover. Keep the wind from flowing through. Just a thought as I have not tried this.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:39 PM   #16

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
full wall slides have much of a longer ‘runway’ for the wind to have fun with, and a longer awning is more difficult to be ‘tight’ all the way ...

I’ve used several sleeping bags, or even a thick duvet cover, and use a pole to push them in the ends, especially the end where the wind is coming from - works perfect
Old 04-11-2018, 06:43 PM   #17

THOR #6245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Yes, it has to be a spring tension problem. I guess I just need to figure out how to tighten it .
Old 04-11-2018, 07:27 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I don't think that you can get the tension high enough to prevent it...

But tune it for a "Middle-C", and you'll be able to play in most local bands with it!
(How about just tossing a rope up and over, and then securing it on both sides?)