Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2018, 12:48 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #1060
Slide outs

Hi my name is John we have 2014 Tuscany XTE 40 what is the best method to but slides out and in, do most folks leave the engine running or off.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:02 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Slides won't extend with the engine running or the ignition on--its a safety feature.

You can extend them while plugged in or with the generator running if you want the converter providing some extra 12V.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:17 AM   #3

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Slides won't extend with the engine running or the ignition on--its a safety feature.

You can extend them while plugged in or with the generator running if you want the converter providing some extra 12V.
Sorry Jamie, you are usually right on, but on this one, not quite. On our Aria, and I expect the OP's Tuscany, the key must be on (with the parking brake set) to extend or retract the slides. I usually do it when camping with the engine running, at home while plugged in, just turn the key to on.
Mike
Old 08-07-2018, 01:33 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
Sorry Jamie, you are usually right on, but on this one, not quite. On our Aria, and I expect the OP's Tuscany, the key must be on (with the parking brake set) to extend or retract the slides. I usually do it when camping with the engine running, at home while plugged in, just turn the key to on.
Mike
That is interesting as our Axis is the opposite: Can't extend/retract the slide (or the upper bunk for that matter) when the key is on.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:17 AM   #5

THOR #9660
Both of our gassers were the same way, no slides with key on. Seems a little weird to me, but they told me to do the leveling, then the slides with the engine running in this one. And, since you have to have the parking brake on anytime the coach is not in gear (no "Park" feature on the transmission), my wife accidentally put the slide out at a gas station attempting to lower the stair cover.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:36 AM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Seems they all operate a bit different by make/model. My slides will not operate with engine running...jacks will not operate without engine running. I always operate slides with power hooked up or generator running. Seems that extra boost into the batteries may help prevent a low power, slow operating slide issue. Of everything in the coach, the slides are the "eggs on the way home from the grocery store" item to me.

Railroadman...if yours will operate with engine running, always do that or plug it in before activating them. If you have the option, never work slides on batteries alone.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:39 PM   #7

THOR #1060
Thanks all for the feed back I do operate mine with key on engine not running and plugged in to shore power.
The campground I am at now a lot of folks are having slide troubles.
Someone mentioned to me I need engine running and I said no, just wanted some feedback.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:54 PM   #8

THOR #11130
Seems 2013 was the pinnacle of full wall slide issues...tons of improvements followed that era. An RV mechanic sat with me for a couple hours in Port Everglades a couple years ago and talked his head off. He said most slide problems come from overloading, failure to fully extend or retract in one motion and design/fit & finish problems...in that order.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:22 PM   #9

Model: compass 23tw
State: California
THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroadman View Post
Hi my name is John we have 2014 Tuscany XTE 40 what is the best method to but slides out and in, do most folks leave the engine running or off.

I have a window or door open too
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:43 PM   #10

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
the simple answer is this: even within the same manufacturer, the slide operations may differ, and there is no 'one' answer to your question, but just do what makes sense to YOU, not everyone else.

Technically, with the engine 'running', the alternator can be providing some additional battery 'juice' while you are operating the HYDRAULIC slides, but it is certainly not REQUIRED.
When you are plugged into Shore power, or have the generator running, basically the same happens, though again, not REQUIRED.
Since slides of all types run from the HOUSE batteries, they are really the ONLY source of power to the system.

Now, those of us with Electric slide systems CANNOT have the ignition on, and therefore the engine running, to operate the slides, but some will crank the generator, as they have often heard that they should. This, too, is not necessary. Our Palazzo slides have always functioned perfectly with nothing on but the switch itself, even if the battery levels are not full... I certainly don't crank the generator just to operate the slides.

'''''''''

The real question of 'ignition ON' or 'engine Running' to operate your slides is because these are two different operational systems - Hydraulic slides require the ignition 'ON', and Electric slide systems require it to be 'OFF'. Simple.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:45 PM   #11

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
just thinking out loud here... I wonder if the difference is gasser vs diesel
where diesel supposedly needs warm-up and cool down time...so slides could be put out while the engine is cooling and the slides can be put in as the last thing before departure.

I think the interlock makes sense in a way, so maybe they were all like that once, then diesel owners complained...which also makes sense
just a theory
Old 08-07-2018, 02:08 PM   #12

THOR #4735
Exclamation

no

we've owned both a gasser Georgetown, with hydraulic slides, that required the engine to be 'on'...

and now our diesel pusher Palazzo, with electric slides, that will not operate without the engine 'off'...

nice thought, tho : /
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:16 PM   #13

THOR #11130
blw2...that's how I found out they don't work with engine running...while last minute warming up engine and breaking down camp. I don't think there's a difference based on engine models...it's a safety thing.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:33 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
The key to the question (how to operate the slides) is what type of suspension does your coach have. If it has air suspension, then the bags need to be inflated (engine running, parking brake on) to put the slides out. When you turn the engine off and lower the jacks the coach will dump the air automatically and the slides should be out,

If you have leaf spring suspension the jacks should be deployed BEFORE and the coach level BEFORE you deploy the slides. The engine running and parking brake set to deploy the jacks.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:49 PM   #15

THOR #4735
no, even different manufacturers differ themselves on whether to 'extend' first, then level, or the opposite.... it has nothing to do with the suspension of the coach, as ours is a diesel pusher, with air bags, and I can extend either before I drop the bags, or with the bags inflated, and either before I level, or afterwards....it makes no difference....it's just personal preference. Many different situations can also alter how you approach extending slides and/or leveling.
We've stayed overnights where I don't even level, since the land is flat...and I may not even extend the slides.
We've stayed at places for weeks, where even if the lot is perfectly level, I still put the levelers down in order to minimize movement in the coach, and extend the slides afterwards. The bags are deflated, of course.
We've stayed overnights where I extended the slides, with no levelers down at all, and the air bags stay inflated.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:30 PM   #16

THOR #9660
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
the simple answer is this: even within the same manufacturer, the slide operations may differ, and there is no 'one' answer to your question, but just do what makes sense to YOU, not everyone else.

Technically, with the engine 'running', the alternator can be providing some additional battery 'juice' while you are operating the HYDRAULIC slides, but it is certainly not REQUIRED.
When you are plugged into Shore power, or have the generator running, basically the same happens, though again, not REQUIRED.
Since slides of all types run from the HOUSE batteries, they are really the ONLY source of power to the system.

Now, those of us with Electric slide systems CANNOT have the ignition on, and therefore the engine running, to operate the slides, but some will crank the generator, as they have often heard that they should. This, too, is not necessary. Our Palazzo slides have always functioned perfectly with nothing on but the switch itself, even if the battery levels are not full... I certainly don't crank the generator just to operate the slides.

'''''''''

The real question of 'ignition ON' or 'engine Running' to operate your slides is because these are two different operational systems - Hydraulic slides require the ignition 'ON', and Electric slide systems require it to be 'OFF'. Simple.
1st paragraph is absolutely correct. But, our Aria does have ELECTRIC slides and will not operate them without the key "on".