Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2015, 09:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #2883
Slide topper

Has anyone had their slide topper break while traveling. Brand new ACE. Broke on highway first time on highway

Old 10-01-2015, 09:26 PM   #2

State: Alaska
THOR #2272
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambasatrvl View Post
Has anyone had their slide topper break while traveling. Brand new ACE. Broke on highway first time on highway
No, but mine is twisting on itself and also seems a bit slack.
Larry
2016 ACE 30.2
Old 10-01-2015, 10:08 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
On my prior coach the bedroom slide topper was so tight it kept my slide from fully extending on the top. Dealer adjusted it under warranty and everything worked fine after that.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:08 AM   #4

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Texas
THOR #2656
Yes, had my ACE parked lakeside in OK when a microburst came during a storm and ripped the back end of the topper. I tried repairing it with half a roll of awning tape, and made it as far as eastern Oregon, again at a lakeside park. When I tried to retract the slide in the morning prior to traveling on to the next stop, the topper completely bound up and ripped the rear mount clean off the side of the coach. I had no way to reattach the broken mounting parts and was miles from any RV technician, so I decided to remove the front mount and bring the whole topper down to the ground. Now, since there was no way to tote a 16 foot topper detached from the coach but still mounted on its slide pole, and still make it to my next stop, I had to just leave the whole thing behind with the park staff. I guess they junked it, and I haven't found a need to replace it in more than 6,000 miles of travel since.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:41 PM   #5
Fid

State: North Carolina
THOR #3851
I have destroyed my slide topper on the passenger slide of my Mirarmar 34.3 TWICE. The first was a missed turn that put me in downtown St. Augustine, FL. The slide topper caught tree branch which ripped the metal bracket from one of the sides. I had to remove the entire slide topper after we found a place to park.

The second time was another wrong turn that put us in downtown Indianapolis on a very narrow 4 lane road with lots of traffic. This time a telephone pole took off my passenger side mirror and the slide topper.

The first time I thought it could be fixed but it was cheaper to just replace the entire topper for $500 installed. The second time I just completely removed it and have not replaced it as of yet. I think I probably could replace it myself for about $300 to $400.