Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2023, 05:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Windsport 29M
State: New York
THOR #29840
Newbie: why does rubber seal on slide have a slit?

Just bought a 2019 Windsport 29M. While fixing a kitchen plumbing issue where PVC pipe sheared just above gray tank, I found the OEM Velcro bag (that I guess you can try to use to seal that area from outside) an annoyance, so cut it out and discarded. That leaves just a rubber seal that is attached to underside of slide. Was wondering why it has to have the slit down the middle? Maybe as slide retracts it would catch on plumbing or electrical? I will remove panels below sink and operate slide to watch more closely…

If replacing the rubber piece with a single piece of rubber (no slit) isn’t advisable, I think I’ll just make a cover that attaches magnetically to the 2 closest metal plates on underside of slide. Yes, the plates are aluminum, so will likely add self-adhesive magnetic tape along each aluminum plate. Then make a simple fabric cover with thin steel strips sewn into the edges/hem…. Would attach once slide extended, remove before retracting. Probably attach a red strap that hangs down to make it easy to notice when about to leave campsite…

Pic shows underside of slide in kitchen area. Not sure why uploaded pic’s orientation is different than when viewing on my iPhone…

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7E1E3AE8-9044-4628-A101-4EC4D6F8629D.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	42492  

Old 06-22-2023, 07:40 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Looks like the slit is for a fixed pipe or semi-rigid tube is suppose to move through. I would leave it alone. What, on the inside floor, back against the wall, is in that area/proximity? Might be your propane line for stove, furnace, water heater, etc.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 08:27 PM   #3

THOR #29840
I’ll likely just leave the rubber with slit alone. Instead, I’ll add a cover that attaches magnetically under the slide - for a much more critter-resistant design (more air tight too).
Old 06-26-2023, 11:20 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Michigan
THOR #17235
The Velcro bag will work adequately to seal the hole IF it was originally installed carefully. Mine was not, and I suspect very few, if any, are. Before you change anything pull out the back panel and cabinet floor under the sink and watch how everything moves as the slide extends and retracts. I adjusted the bag on mine and it works ok. It’s not very well designed. I also moved some plumbing and wiring around to make them move more smoothly and not interfere with things. If you put a magnetic cover outside make sure you have a failsafe method to remind you to remove it before retracting the slide.
Old 06-26-2023, 11:50 AM   #5

THOR #29840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibeman View Post
If you put a magnetic cover outside make sure you have a failsafe method to remind you to remove it before retracting the slide.
Indeed - I will have a red cord attached that hangs down to the ground as a visual reminder. Cord will also be used to pull magnetic plate off…
Old 06-26-2023, 02:13 PM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I had my wife make fabric covers a few years ago for Thor's failed "bag" system that is supposed to self-seal when opening the slide.

I had her sew Velcro into the border of the covers and then I used adhesive Velcro on the bottom of the slide around the openings. I install them after extending the slide and remove them before retracting. This approach has worked well for us.
Old 06-26-2023, 02:49 PM   #7

THOR #29840
Thanks Judge - glad to hear my idea of sealing from below the slide area works well...