Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2018, 04:44 PM   #41

State: Alaska
THOR #7410
Update: at factory in Indiana. Thor finally admitted after two days with their service shop and a month of pictures, telephone calls and emails of denying it, that coach had been hit. It took the paint guy to discover it. They of course deny liability and want to give us a repair estimate (15-30k) and we can pay them to fix it. According to Brandon at Thor the dealership we bought it from signed an agreement with camping world that they would not take responsibility for any prior issues as part of the buy out agreement. I guess he’s an attorney now too. He further stated “we don’t know what happened after you purchased it” and wants to know why our insurance company won’t cover it. I’ll let him figure that one out for himself. So the battle begins. Word to the wise - do not buy a Thor. There are 15 other people at the factory for service now with nightmares like ours and more roll in everyday.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:55 PM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
THOR #6310
I would think if the RV was damaged and repaired BEFORE it went to the dealer, it is Thors fault. If it was damaged en-route to the dealer from Thor, it is the transporters fault. If it was damaged and repaired at the dealer, it is the dealers fault. Thor may agree that the RV was damaged and repaired, but that doesn't mean they are responsible, or on the hook to repair it under warranty. What needs to be determined is when it was damaged and by who. That's where you place the blame and demand recourse. If the dealer knew about it then it should have been disclosed. JMHO.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:10 PM   #43
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree...
There are three different possibilities: Thor isn't going to take the blame unless you can rule out the other two...
I hate to say it: this is an entirely reasonable approach.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:13 PM   #44

Model: Four Winds 28z
THOR #5725
This actually where insurance is helpful b/c it doesn't matter who is at fault... It is part of comprehensive. I also never feel bad taking money from them. Let them figure out who is at fault if they are inclined.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:19 PM   #45

State: Alabama
THOR #9516
I would think the "blame" is actually with the transport company, with the dealer being a secondary "defendant" due to probable knowledge of the damage. I'm just thankful I've been blessed to not have this problem. (Nothing in this message should be intended to be legal advise.)
#not-a-lawyer
Old 05-17-2018, 05:38 PM   #46

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Seems reasonable that 'the damage' occurred during transport, either by the transport company, or the dealer after they accepted it. There is documentation, somewhere, regarding the accident, if it happened on a public highway, or and records of repair, someone was paid for it. Those records just need to be ferreted out, and I hate to suggest this, but it might be time for an attorney.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:43 PM   #47

THOR #5725
I still put my money on the dealership, thrown in the repair yard with no records on repair. They are smarter than that. I would just get it fixed, try to get insurance to pay and get on with life....
Old 05-17-2018, 05:57 PM   #48
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawpaw's House View Post
I would think the "blame" is actually with the transport company, with the dealer being a secondary "defendant" due to probable knowledge of the damage. I'm just thankful I've been blessed to not have this problem. (Nothing in this message should be intended to be legal advise.)
#not-a-lawyer
I agree... The transport Company may be the culprit...
The Dealership would have known about it either because they got it damaged, or they got it much later than they anticipated.
...Or it happened at the Dealership, and they would have definitely known about it.

Either way: full disclosure should have been the Order of the Day.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:08 PM   #49

THOR #5821
Bob, I agree with you. In this case we are frankly talking about fraud, and because of the dollar amount, probably a felony, at one or possibly more levels. I would not be inclined to turn a blind eye to this, if it was me.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:10 PM   #50

THOR #5725
While I agree it may be fraud, it also means that you are living without your RV until it is figured out, or at the very least you are floating the loan and hoping you get repaid.... How much are you getting paid to ferret out the crime?
Old 05-17-2018, 06:20 PM   #51

THOR #7410
I’m not going to be dishonest with my insurance company because Thor and it’s representatives were dishonest with me.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:27 PM   #52

THOR #7410
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
I feel for the original poster, as it seems all of us have experienced warranty issues, even soon after we drove off the lot.
The reality about a 'new' vehicle, though, is that it is simply one that has never been sold to anyone else, not somehow 'used' or 'an illegal sale' because it has what the owner is assuming as 'hidden damage from an accident'. That's a big leap and assumption.

I think that everyone is jumping to conclusions and crucifying a business and/or a dealer for a situation that even the owner themselves is not sure about, but is just using 'hear say' from another 'rv guy'... let's not jump the gun and act as though this is somehow 'normal' for any of the parties supposedly involved.

It's the owner's job, just like the dealer, just like the transport company, and just like the factory's quality control department, to check out the unit fully before signing any documents.

It's easy for some of us to 'blame' someone else when we don't know all the real facts.

This is exactly the situation that proves the need for a full and complete PDI(post delivery inspection) by the new owner, BEFORE they leave the dealership. After the owner leaves, it's just as easy to assume that they were responsible for the so-called 'accident', as anyone else would be.

If the unit is under warranty then the factory should certainly take care of 'factory related' warranty issues. End of story. No blame needed.

enjoy : )

It’s official Thor acknowledged the rev had been hit but of course they deny any knowledge, etc.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:32 PM   #53
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcjaw2 View Post
It’s official Thor acknowledged the rev had been hit but of course they deny any knowledge, etc.
Even if you want to assume that it was damaged at the Factory: do you think that the transporter would accept it (and the liability for it?), and transport it in such condition?

That's why I think that this is all "downstream" from Thor...
Old 05-17-2018, 06:36 PM   #54

THOR #5725
And you have no way of proving that the rig was damaged at the factory. As for insurance fraud, as long as you have comprehensive it should be covered; no different as if someone hit your car in a lot and took off.... Flat out tell them you don't know....
Old 05-17-2018, 06:37 PM   #55

THOR #6310
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what makes you think Thor had knowledge of any accident prior to your purchase? Acknowledgment of the hit and damage doesn't make them responsible. Not saying they aren't, but it's much more likely that it happened once the RV was out of their hands, meaning the blame lies elsewhere.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:39 PM   #56

THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazinskm View Post
And you have no way of proving that the rig was damaged at the factory. As for insurance fraud, as long as you have comprehensive it should be covered; no different as if someone hit your car in a lot and took off.... Flat out tell them you don't know....
Unfortunately he knows the damage happened and was repaired before he took ownership. If he states that to the insurance company they aren't going to pay, as the RV wasn't owned by their insured at the time of the damage.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:42 PM   #57

THOR #6310
Quote:
I’m not going to be dishonest with my insurance company because Thor and it’s representatives were dishonest with me.
Thor was dishonest or the dealer was dishonest? Separate entities.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:54 PM   #58

THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazinskm View Post
While I agree it may be fraud, it also means that you are living without your RV until it is figured out, or at the very least you are floating the loan and hoping you get repaid.... How much are you getting paid to ferret out the crime?
Seems clear to me the owners insurance will deny any claim, since damage occurred prior to the insureds ownership of the vehicle. This leaves the owner with IMO only one choice, which is to obtain legal representation and go after the facts. Per attorney's advice owner should be able to have the RV repaired, at his own expense for now, but I would expect full restitution at some point, possible with some punitive damage awards. The whole situation sucks, but why should the innocent RV buyer absorb the costs, when he clearly, as I understand at this point, is guilty of no wrong doing?
Old 05-17-2018, 07:17 PM   #59

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Illinois
THOR #10965
I would think you should get Thor to state in writing that it was damaged and repaired, then lawyer up and get the lawyer to start getting real answers and prepare to sue someone.

I normally don't like how litigious society has become, but this is the stuff that shady businesses should be held liable for. Someone, at some point, knew they were passing off damaged goods.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:24 PM   #60

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
I am sorry to say it looks like you have one question you need to ask yourself, "how much money are you willing to spend to get restitution and possibly still have a broken RV when it is all said and done?"