Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2016, 08:59 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29D
State: Florida
THOR #5756
I carry a small compressor with me, and it is almost identical to this one. I got mine for way less money during an end of year sale at Tractor Supply company. I am pretty happy with this little compressor and use it a lot around the house and yard. It is light weight enough to be hauled around.

https://www.amazon.com/General-Intl-...air+compressor

Old 10-26-2016, 10:30 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
As I've stated earlier on this Forum more than once, "I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy", I like to have a Plan B.
I have a small inflator and tire plugs to go with the Spare...now looking for a length of 1" pipe to add to the collection (I have some somewhere). But it does no good to have it sitting in the basement when we are out on the road.

Thanks for all the ideas - may be asking Santa for a Viair Compressor.

Doc
Doc, I use a section of bicycle top tube cut to just fit inside my tool box. It only weighs a few ounces and is very strong. I did have to ovalize (flatten with hammer) the end a little so it would go over my lug wrench.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:21 AM   #23

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #5494
Hey everyone, I posted on here a fabricated tire carrier for the Vegas 25.2 I repost the pics. I like to have a spare. So this is what I came up with after contacting Thor without any luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire carrier.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	3250   Click image for larger version

Name:	mounted tire carrier.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	3251  

Name:	mounted tire Cary 2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	3252   Click image for larger version

Name:	mounted tire.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	3253  

Old 10-27-2016, 12:35 PM   #24

THOR #1249
Nice fab job. Looks like a factory installation. You must have metal fab shop available or be fortunate enough to have one at your house.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:02 PM   #25

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Chucke,

Ditto mcr1010 comments! Nice looking fab! I have been looking at that space trying to figure out how to use it, maybe for the stinky slinky. I think I see how to do it now.

If you did the fabrication would you share the specs?

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:00 PM   #26

THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucke View Post
Hey everyone, I posted on here a fabricated tire carrier for the Vegas 25.2 I repost the pics. I like to have a spare. So this is what I came up with after contacting Thor without any luck.
This looks very similar to the factory installed carrier I have. The winch handle tube is extended in my version and comes out through the rear bumper, and is hidden by the license plate that can be flipped down.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:14 PM   #27

THOR #2121
Ford specs show frame rails on F-53 chassis being much closer together than on the smaller E-Series chassis. On the F-53 there is not enough clearance to mount a spare tire between frame rails.

Unless motorhome has a storage compartment large enough for a spare, the only practical option is to mount it off the back of the motorhome. Hitch is probably easiest, although I've seen some larger tires supported off rear wall. That's rare though because a 19.5- or 22.5-inch mounted spare is quite heavy.

It's unfortunate manufacturers don't provide at least one compartment under a bed, or anywhere else on RV, with door to outside, large enough to haul a spare in case owner decides it's needed.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:35 PM   #28

THOR #5756
Chance, according to your statement, Ford or Thor must not have known that they could mount a spare tire underneath the frame. They must have just done that with mine, because my motorhome came from the factory with a spare tire underneath it's belly.
It is currently raining pretty bad, otherwise I would take a picture to show you how nice the spare fits underneath the rig. And the crank for it is behind the license plate!
Old 10-27-2016, 09:02 PM   #29

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
Chance, according to your statement, Ford or Thor must not have known that they could mount a spare tire underneath the frame. They must have just done that with mine, because my motorhome came from the factory with a spare tire underneath it's belly.
It is currently raining pretty bad, otherwise I would take a picture to show you how nice the spare fits underneath the rig. And the crank for it is behind the license plate!
What type or model of motorhome do you have?
Old 10-27-2016, 09:27 PM   #30

THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
What type or model of motorhome do you have?
I have a 2002 Hurricane on a F53 chassis
Old 10-28-2016, 12:19 AM   #31

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
I have a 2002 Hurricane on a F53 chassis
Does your spare hang under frame level? If so, isn't it close to ground?

I'm not familiar with 2002 model year Hurricanes, but at least the newer Ford F-53 motorhome chassis have the "E" dimension listed as 34 inches. That would make inside of frame rails about 28 inches; making it too narrow for a spare tire to fit between rails. I only went back to 2011 model year F-53, but expect that hasn't changed much.

That's not to say that Thor (or whoever made Hurricanes back then) couldn't have extended the chassis in such a way that the extension wasn't wider -- thereby accommodating the spare.

There is a lot these manufacturers could do while extending the frame that they don't. As an example, Europeans often drop the frame extension so the motorhome's garage is much taller inside. American companies don't seem to pay as much attention to details -- or opportunities.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	3258  
Old 10-28-2016, 12:47 AM   #32

THOR #5494
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Chucke,

Ditto mcr1010 comments! Nice looking fab! I have been looking at that space trying to figure out how to use it, maybe for the stinky slinky. I think I see how to do it now.

If you did the fabrication would you share the specs?

Doc
Originally Posted by Chucke
Hey everyone, I finished the home made tire carrier for our 2016 Vegas 25.2. I want you all to know I am not a professional welder/fabricator, engineer, or painter. I feel blessed to be able to dream stuff like this up and then make it reality. Well here are a few pictures and then I will add the list of what I used.
I went to Pick n pull (Junk Yard) and took the winch off of a E250. You could get one off of any F or E series late model. 35.00

I had some 4" channel left over from another job. 3/16" thickness x 43" long.

Two 4"x4" pieces of channel

A 1' piece of 1 1/2" angle iron 3/16" thick

Eight feet 1 1/2" x 3/16 square stock

I used 14 6011 welding rods and 11 grade 8 bolts with washers and lock nuts.

I also moved the tire over toward the passenger side as far as I could go with it to have more space between the generator and the tire. I also had to drill 4 holes in the frame. Only 2 of them were actually drilled into Fords frame. The other 2 were drilled into the frame add on. Non of the welding or painting was performed under the coach. I also use a 8" wobble extension and ratchet to let the tire down. Hope I never need it. Hope you all enjoy!
Old 10-28-2016, 12:54 AM   #33

THOR #5494
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Nice fab job. Looks like a factory installation. You must have metal fab shop available or be fortunate enough to have one at your house.

Thank you, I wish I had a fab shop (like the guys on TV). Just a home hobbyist. I have always been blessed to be able to work with my hands and think of stuff to do and then try it!
Old 10-30-2016, 05:56 PM   #34

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
With a generator on board, it can be used with a 120v electric impact. They're almost as strong as air impacts and would work well on the smaller chassis. the only things to add would be a heavy extension cord (12gauge wire and a portable GFCI for safety.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:31 PM   #35

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Chucke,

thanks for the specs.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:56 AM   #36

THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Does your spare hang under frame level? If so, isn't it close to ground?

I'm not familiar with 2002 model year Hurricanes, but at least the newer Ford F-53 motorhome chassis have the "E" dimension listed as 34 inches. That would make inside of frame rails about 28 inches; making it too narrow for a spare tire to fit between rails. I only went back to 2011 model year F-53, but expect that hasn't changed much.

That's not to say that Thor (or whoever made Hurricanes back then) couldn't have extended the chassis in such a way that the extension wasn't wider -- thereby accommodating the spare.

There is a lot these manufacturers could do while extending the frame that they don't. As an example, Europeans often drop the frame extension so the motorhome's garage is much taller inside. American companies don't seem to pay as much attention to details -- or opportunities.
Hurricanes were made by Four Winds, which seemed to be a Subsidiary of Thor back than already.
I looked under mine, and the Spare tire is sitting between the frame extensions, almost snug against the belly of the motorhome, nicely protected by the trailer hitch.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:39 PM   #37

THOR #4847
Road master from Amazon is one option