Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2016, 08:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: hurricane
State: Texas
THOR #5244
Spare Tire

Just got a Thor Hurricane ... upgraded from a jayco class C .. the class c had tires that were smaller and the spare fit in the rear bin .. the new Thor has larger tires and a spare seems not to fit anywhere ... if you want to carry a spare what do you do ????

Old 10-24-2016, 10:34 PM   #2

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
I don't have a spare as well..... I will just call road service, as I couldn't change it anyway!!
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:10 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
The spare would be VERY heavy, hard to store, and you would need heavy duty impact to remove a wheel, plus a big jack. Best to call road service like Jet said.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:20 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
I bought a carrier that fits in the hitch receiver. Problem solved!

You will need a jack (make sure it fits the axle BEFORE you might need it). Also will possibly need a "cheater" handle for the lug nut wrench.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:31 AM   #5

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: California
THOR #5361
I have a 31W Four Winds and manage to install in a bay of the undercarriage with a crank down hoist. But yes they are heavy about 93lbs. I would also call road side service to change because of the need of impact gun and the rim breaker required to separate the duals. Having the tire will just cut down on your down time and expense.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:32 AM   #6

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
i also have spare tire carrier that goes in the hitch. easy to use.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:43 AM   #7

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie 2437 View Post
Just got a Thor Hurricane ... upgraded from a jayco class C .. the class c had tires that were smaller and the spare fit in the rear bin .. the new Thor has larger tires and a spare seems not to fit anywhere ... if you want to carry a spare what do you do ????
Thanks to all for the input about carrying a spare. I decided to go ahead with stowing an unmounted spare tire between the rear frame rails. I also used a length of 2x6 wood just behind the fuel tank, securing it in place with some 5/16 carriage bolts utilizing holes already in the frame. For now, I wrapped the tire in saran wrap used for wrapping furniture and also used two heavy duty rubber bungies around the tire and the 2x6. It isn't going anywhere and gives me a little more piece of mind.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:31 PM   #8

THOR #5112
good idea. but what if you have a flat and destroy a wheel? i thought i had it made because my spare fit in the back of my jeep patriot with room to spare and i could put luggage or what ever on top of it.then one day we wanted to go on a road trip for a day without jeep and i was back where i started from , no spare. peace of mind out the window. all because the factory is to cheap to put a spare on a new MH,
Old 10-26-2016, 02:13 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
Interesting to see that new Hurricanes don't have a spare tire and a provision to store it. My unit came from the factory with a spare tire, and it is carried under the rear frame and operated with a modified Ford spare tire lift. I have a crank receptacle for that lift just behind the rear license plate that folds forward (like it was with the older cars to fill gas) and the crank can be inserted.
I still would call roadside assistance, but this way I have not to buy ther way overpriced tire, but can use my own!
Old 10-26-2016, 02:26 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #5337
wondering where you purchased the tire rack that uses the trailer receiver, I also have a Vegas
Old 10-26-2016, 02:32 PM   #11
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Remember its much more than the tire they would need to provide... the jack.. proper tools... and many RV owners just wouldn't be capable of changing. I think I could with the right tools - but would be a challenge in the best of conditions - not usually what I would find on side of road... I expect there would be a significant product liability risk - leading to why my 2000 Infinity had a spare and jack... and my 2014 Hurricane doe not... (cost cutting is certainly part as well...)

My TPMS will hopefully alert me to an issue (short of road hazard of course) before it happens... road service covers the service call and change... My extended service covers the tire replacement if needed.

I can think of worse things than being stuck on the side of the road with a genny, a/c, heater, refrigerator, stove and bathroom...
Not what I would want to do on my trip - but my peace of mind comes from knowing it will be prevented or taken care of.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:34 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Leadbottom,

You get the tire mount that uses the receiver from CURT (check online). Below are pictures of what I used. They also sell a small clamp that tightens the receiver/mount connections so it does not rattle around.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20151226_13_27_53_Pro.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	3247

Name:	WP_20151226_13_28_32_Pro.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	3248

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:14 PM   #13

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Remember its much more than the tire they would need to provide... the jack.. proper tools... and many RV owners just wouldn't be capable of changing. I think I could with the right tools - but would be a challenge in the best of conditions - not usually what I would find on side of road... I expect there would be a significant product liability risk - leading to why my 2000 Infinity had a spare and jack... and my 2014 Hurricane doe not... (cost cutting is certainly part as well...)

My TPMS will hopefully alert me to an issue (short of road hazard of course) before it happens... road service covers the service call and change... My extended service covers the tire replacement if needed.

I can think of worse things than being stuck on the side of the road with a genny, a/c, heater, refrigerator, stove and bathroom...
Not what I would want to do on my trip - but my peace of mind comes from knowing it will be prevented or taken care of.

Greg took the words right off my keyboard! It's not just cost cutting but storage space and weight too, of the spare, jack and extra tools.

I had blowouts twice on my last Class A, both times it was 4 hours to have road service put on a new tire. Those lug nuts are put on TIGHT, and not easy to break loose without a breaker bar or air tools. A four hour siesta was not the agenda, but with the genny and the A/C humming along, it was bearable. Just an unplanned travel delay. Another reason to keep the miles per day at a comfortable limit.

I have carried a small compressor for years, and wonder if the tanks waste space. It has come in handy a few times, more for my towed car. Here's a pic of a unit like mine:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Air Compressor.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	3249  
Old 10-26-2016, 06:25 PM   #14

THOR #5112
i can't use the curt because the tip out is in the back .i got the roadmaster brand. pull a pin and lower it down out of the way.i can lower it and put it back up with 1 hand. not that i am strong but its the leverage bar.see a lot of them popping up .
Old 10-26-2016, 06:38 PM   #15

THOR #2142
Over the years I have acquired a bottle jack, some blocks, assorted lug wrenches and a breaker bar...has anyone looked at getting a 12V Impact Wrench for removing the lugnuts when on the road? From the postings above it appears they really torque em on.

Doc

Old 10-26-2016, 06:52 PM   #16

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Over the years I have acquired a bottle jack, some blocks, assorted lug wrenches and a breaker bar...has anyone looked at getting a 12V Impact Wrench for removing the lugnuts when on the road? From the postings above it appears they really torque em on.

Doc
Specified torque depends largely on motorhome size. On an Axis/Vegas or Class C the torque is the same as on a E-350 van like mine. It's not bad at all. I carry a section of 1-inch tube to use as leverage just to be safe. When added to end of Ford lug wrench I hardly have to strain to get them off -- even after some knucklehead went nuts with an impact wrench.

If really tight I position lug wrench so I'm pushing down which makes it easier to bounce a little extra weight on wrench without hurting the back. And if needed one could use a longer tube. There is no practical limit to getting the lugs off with a little pre-planning.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:25 PM   #17
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
The other way to look at it is at least if you have a spare road service can change it and you won't have to deal with torqued lug nuts and carrying tools. You will be back on the road a lot quicker since you have the spare. I don't have a spare yet because I use the hitch for a scooter carrier. But I do carry the Viair compressor and tire plugs.

Kev
Old 10-26-2016, 07:38 PM   #18

THOR #2142
As I've stated earlier on this Forum more than once, "I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy", I like to have a Plan B.
I have a small inflator and tire plugs to go with the Spare...now looking for a length of 1" pipe to add to the collection (I have some somewhere). But it does no good to have it sitting in the basement when we are out on the road.

Thanks for all the ideas - may be asking Santa for a Viair Compressor.

Doc

Old 10-26-2016, 07:43 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post

Doc
I have one of those 12V impact whrenches. They are not strong enough to get the lug nuts loose. You need a breaker bar for the initial loosening (I also have one of those on board), and after that you can use the 12 V impact thingy.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:02 PM   #20

THOR #2142
Hudsoner,

Thnks for the info, good to find out the 12v impact wrench needs help. One of the main reasons I have not moved on a better air supply is I'm thinking of a regular compressor and and air impact wrench to work the lugnuts off instead of the Viair. Too many toys out there.

Doc