Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2019, 03:28 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Illinois
THOR #11772
Tiremaster spare tire carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylfair View Post
Good morning! We purchased a 2019 Thor Vegas 25.6 last November. We are now looking for a spare tire carrier. Had one on order, under chassis mount. The dealer for that type indicated that it would not work. For those of you that own a Thor Vegas what do you use for a spare tire carrier?
Check out the roadmaster tire carrier it will allow a spare tire on your thor and when you use your rear slide out it lowers down to the ground with a simple lever, it also has a pass through hitch for hauling a vehicle to

Old 02-10-2019, 04:58 PM   #22

State: Alaska
THOR #5332
Spare Tire Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylfair View Post
Good morning! We purchased a 2019 Thor Vegas 25.6 last November. We are now looking for a spare tire carrier. Had one on order, under chassis mount. The dealer for that type indicated that it would not work. For those of you that own a Thor Vegas what do you use for a spare tire carrier?
Cherylfair:

I too live in the great state of AK...
So I contemplated installing a spare tire carrier but then after I topped off all the Fuel, Propane, Potable Water and drove to the weight scales.. the RV weighed in at 12320 LBS! the GVRW on my 2015 Axis is 12500 LBS.. I decided on not adding the additional weight.
I wont get into all the suspension modifications I have done once I realized I didn't have much additional weight I could add.
Also I read down in the blog post.. and yes we do have Road Side Assistance in Alaska..
Old 02-10-2019, 10:19 PM   #23

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason61 View Post
Good looks. I got one of those for my RV, and then I thought about the tire and rim and I'm still thinking about the total cost.

Rim on my Vegas 24.1 which uses a 16 inch tire was quite cheap. $83 from Amazon.

Ford E350 Van 16 Inch 8 Lug Dually Steel Rim/16x6 8-165.1 Steel Wheel

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That along with an inexpensive tire from Walmart my total investment was around $200. Much less expensive than Camping Worlds $600 for replacement tire & rim coverage.

Also I found out that many of the emergency tire services will only change the tire providing you have a spare. I also have an inexpensive 10 ton jack from Walmart ~$30 and a 25 inch breaker bar from Harbor Freight for $14. I just cant stand to be unprepared just in case

So $250 isn't bad for peace of mind .

Indecently, my spare tire fits easily inside my rear storage compartment. How lucky is that!!
Old 02-10-2019, 10:27 PM   #24

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I haven’t checked lately but last time I did Wheels and Caps sold refurbished ford wheels for $55. I spent more on my Roadmaster carrier than I did on my spare. Cheap peace of mind for sure
Old 02-15-2019, 09:42 PM   #25

Model: Gemini 23TB
State: Georgia
THOR #10886
Sometimes a tire isn’t enough

Hi folks, here’s a recent experience I had with a flat tire: it’s Sunday afternoon in our Thor Gemini. I end up calling six tire shops in all. Several were semi truck shops that didn’t want to/ couldn’t work on my small wheeled RV. Several other regular tire shops were also unwilling to help. Either they didn’t have a lift or a ceiling high enough. My favorite was they couldn’t jack the RV up on their fresh asphalt. I finally found a mobile tire repair guy that could help. Fortunately he was able to plug the tire (front) so I had him swap with a good rear tire. He didn’t have a way to change the tire on the rim. By the way, the plug he used is much more heavy duty than what you find in your local auto parts store. I’m not sure they would do the job.
I will definitely find a way to carry a spare tire mounted to a rim in the future!
Old 02-15-2019, 11:41 PM   #26

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macsplorer View Post
Hi folks, here’s a recent experience I had with a flat tire: it’s Sunday afternoon in our Thor Gemini. I end up calling six tire shops in all. Several were semi truck shops that didn’t want to/ couldn’t work on my small wheeled RV. Several other regular tire shops were also unwilling to help. Either they didn’t have a lift or a ceiling high enough. My favorite was they couldn’t jack the RV up on their fresh asphalt. I finally found a mobile tire repair guy that could help. Fortunately he was able to plug the tire (front) so I had him swap with a good rear tire. He didn’t have a way to change the tire on the rim. By the way, the plug he used is much more heavy duty than what you find in your local auto parts store. I’m not sure they would do the job.
I will definitely find a way to carry a spare tire mounted to a rim in the future!
Amen brother. There's always a way. Search the forum for spare tire, there are many threads. You should find something to get you going.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:48 PM   #27

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
Amen brother. There's always a way. Search the forum for spare tire, there are many threads. You should find something to get you going.
Yeah, I'll prolly get mine and lock it down somehow so folks don't steal it.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:09 AM   #28

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason61 View Post
Yeah, I'll prolly get mine and lock it down somehow so folks don't steal it.
At least slow them down.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 02:03 AM   #29

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
I too have a Siesta 24 SS on a Mercedes Benz Sprinter Chassis that did not come with a spare or even a place to mount one underneath.I bought a take off rim from a company in Oklahoma ($47.00 including shipping out to California) which will fit either the front or rear wheel. I just need to buy the tire. I also bought a hitch spare tire mount to carry it with me just in case I need it. I need to buy grade 5 or better bolts to mount the tire/rim on the hitch spare tire mount. Should be problem solved.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:30 PM   #30

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoeb View Post
I have a Vegas 2018 and the spare tire mounted will fit between the last crossmember and the hitch it goes clear up to the floor . i use a piece of angle iron that sets on the frames and holds the tire in place . I have a hole in each end of the angle iron that a bolt drops through so it cannot come out or move . It is completely up out of the way it is about the trailer hitch so there’s. it is completely up out of the way it is about the trailer hitch so there’s no way that it can drag . It is not the easiest thing to get out but it is completely possible and how many times do you take it out . At 80 years old I can manage it so I’m sure most of you can . About the only time you take it out is when you trade your RV . I opt for a new wheel and bought a used tire on eBay cost was very minimal and it gives me peace of mind. I have a Thor Vegas 24.12018
Kudos to you for being willing to crawl under your RV and change a flat at 80 years old. I'm almost 20 years younger and far too lazy to do it. :-) I just call a truck tire roadside repair outfit and pay em. :-)
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:47 PM   #31

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #6975
Sometimes it can be a little hard to get them to come out and they may not have the right equipment . I find that having a spare gives me the option of doing it myself or calling roadside assistance . Time can also be a factor
Old 02-16-2019, 06:10 PM   #32

State: Alaska
THOR #5332
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoeb View Post
Sometimes it can be a little hard to get them to come out and they may not have the right equipment . I find that having a spare gives me the option of doing it myself or calling roadside assistance . Time can also be a factor

Could be. But if you pay for road side why wouldn’t you use them? I have never been disappointed when calling them be it my car or RV.. back to my original concern.. this blog gets off in the ditch at times.. the weight.. let’s say a spare with everything it takes to mount it.. 100 LBS.. when I weighed my 2015 Axis it was 12320 LBS the F-53 chase is 12500 LBS.. minus 100 LBS for the tire.. well I hope you folks get my drift. So get that tire.. hit that pot hole..
Old 02-16-2019, 08:40 PM   #33

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Alabama
THOR #3721
I have a Vegas 25.2. Because of the rear slide I had to get something that would not block the slide. I went with the Michelin tire ( LTX M/S2 LT225/75R16 SPEED R load 115/112) and (Ford E350 Van 16 Inch 8 Lug Dually Steel Rim/16x6 8-165.1 Steel Wheel)
I also got the Roadmaster and a tire cover. The total was just shy of $1,000. The tire and rim are very heavy. When the FEDX guy delivered the rim he dropped it and then rolled it up to the door. He said he had no idea it was that heavy. Most road service will not air a tire or put a tire on a rim.