Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2019, 02:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Travel Discount Programs

I have a question for the group. We are KOA, and Good Sam Members and get small discounts on sites and other things. Today in email I received another opportunity for travel discounts and all sorts of information including dump sites, service centers, etc. The program is called Great RV escapes National Discount Savings System. Seems pretty interesting but wanted to know if anyone on the forum had experience with this program before we made a decision.

Thanks for any input.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:48 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
wow, they have a LOT of books to take with you on your 'travels'... I think a smartphone would work way better...

it looks on the surface like another great way to spend money on a 'membership' for things you didn't know you needed! (or may never need!)
Old 01-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #3

THOR #13712
Thanks for the reply, Yes indeed. I was looking to see if there was an electronic data base to search for details, but it looks like it's all paper. Like I need more paper to search!!

Old 01-21-2019, 01:24 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I have very few CG's ask to actually see my membership cards...they ask you over the phone if you're a member then just give you the discount. The one you post about is probably just a printed version of everything you can find on the internet anyway. Not sure of others but finding a dumpsite has never been an issue for me yet. Things change to fast for anything in printed form to hold any accuracy for too long.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:17 AM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Other RV forums have listed them as a scam and worthless.

You might carefully check out Passport America. They have been great for us on some trips and worthless on others. They tend to blackout the most popular days and limit discount stays.Seems RVers love PA or hate PA.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:41 AM   #6

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post

You might carefully check out Passport America. They have been great for us on some trips and worthless on others. They tend to blackout the most popular days and limit discount stays.Seems RVers love PA or hate PA.
I agree, Passport America is a MUST membership and pays for itself in just 2-3 night stays. I had to join Escapees to have them as my mailing service and I am glad I did. As it has many benefits. Good Sams will also pay off as you get 10% off. I guess you will need to figure out how much you travel, what areas you want to travel in and find out what memberships will benefit your circumstances.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #7

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post

Correct on PA...most of them join just to get their name in the book. I've yet to find one that worked for me, even when on the fly and just looking for a quick spot. It's as if they want the advertising but look at members as cheap scum looking for something free. They will put you in the worst spots in the CG and charge you more for using the power and water.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:05 PM   #8

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Cant say enough good things about Harvest Host. Pay for the membership with the first visit. Stayed last light in Boynton Beach all by ourselfs. Great program and now with Gold Courses. Have stayed at three in the last month. PA doesn't work during season - ie: florida October to May - NG. I hear West Coast and Texas works great.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:39 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Please throw another vote on the "Passport America" pile...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:02 PM   #10

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
We also have Passport America and it did pay for itself first time we used it. We've definitely saved money using it and we'll probably renew it when due. That said, we've found a few things RV'ers should keep in mind regarding PA. First, most require a 2 night stay for the half price discount, so, if you're only passing thru and don't want or need 2 nights, you'll pay full price. Many block out holiday weekends or times when special events are happening in their areas. And, many of the participating campgrounds are not what I'd call "top tier". Many we've checked out are older, somewhat 'shop-worn' and have lots of permanently set up trailers and park models with full time residents. We've never yet had a problem at any we've stayed it but just know, you get what you pay for. Again, in our opinion, PA is OK and we'll continue to use them when what they offer works for us.
Old 01-26-2019, 01:18 PM   #11

THOR #1249
I'll give PPA another . Been a member since about 2001. About 8 or 10 years ago they ran a special for life membership for under $200 so I jumped on that deal. No doubt about it, we have saved a bunch since joining. The only downside is that some campgrounds do blackout days like holidays and weekends and some blackout months during busy seasons.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:07 PM   #12

Model: compass 23tw
State: California
THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchief View Post
We also have Passport America and it did pay for itself first time we used it. We've definitely saved money using it and we'll probably renew it when due. That said, we've found a few things RV'ers should keep in mind regarding PA. First, most require a 2 night stay for the half price discount, so, if you're only passing thru and don't want or need 2 nights, you'll pay full price. Many block out holiday weekends or times when special events are happening in their areas. And, many of the participating campgrounds are not what I'd call "top tier". Many we've checked out are older, somewhat 'shop-worn' and have lots of permanently set up trailers and park models with full time residents. We've never yet had a problem at any we've stayed it but just know, you get what you pay for. Again, in our opinion, PA is OK and we'll continue to use them when what they offer works for us.

Hello Oldchief,
Have you found PA different options on stay in different states?
Thnks
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:23 PM   #13

THOR #4735
PA campground and RV parks each set their own rules and restrictions or limitations for accepting PA discounted sites ...

for example:
- it may only apply to a 'few' select sites, which may also be only 30amp or without sewer, etc
- some limit you to only 'weekdays', where weekend nights are at regular price - which 'may' include Fri Sat and even SUN nights
- some limit the discount to only 'off-season' months
- some are limited to only a single night for the discount, where we've see some that have NO limitation on the number of nights
- some require you to RESERVE ahead of arrival, while others will NOT allow an advanced reservation

each campground owner or rv park manager decides how PA is accepted for their business - you must look at their website or call them for the details, or use the PA app which may disclose these...

PA is unique in that the business decides the requirements or limitations ahead of time, and must give you a 1/2 price discount over their 'regular' price... though they can also limit this to only their 'pull thru' sites, or only for 'unimproved' sites... it's up to them.

The great advantage to PA is that you are truly getting a much better price, especially for a simple overnight stay, than you'll probably ever receiver under any other campground or rv park, even with other 'discount' programs. You generally don't have to provide advanced notice, though some may require it, and PA parks aren't typically the 'top tier' parks that may be regularly full when you arrive. They also may not typically be 'right off the highway', and may require a little more driving to find them.

But, even having said all that, we've seen 'mom and pop' campgrounds with as little as 6 or 8 sites take PA, well off the beaten path, and 'top tier' rv parks and campgrounds with hundreds of sites and amenities as part of the PA family. It's all over the place, and it's worth the small price if you travel a lot and don't necessarily go from 'destination to destination', but want easy overnights without advance reservations. The app is the best tool in the market for RV travelers...
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:32 PM   #14

THOR #4735
...and, having said all that, I no longer am a member.. what(?) ! wow.

well, it's because I don't travel as much anymore, and therefore keeping the 'annual' fee in mind, it's not necessarily something that applies to us as much as before. When we traveled the country several years, yes, but with the coach in storage, and only using it once per month, and with the ability to simply overnight off-grid in a parking lot during our travels, it's not necessarily a pay-off to have it in hand anymore.

I would caution any new RVrs, that typically only go out on weekends, infrequently, that these types of 'discount' probably don't serve you financially... some of it is because we are human, and if we purchase a discount program, we then have this 'feeling' that we must use it to get our money's worth. Which means then that I am going to strive to find a PA park, or GS park, versus just going where I want to. A simple overnight or weekend probably is not a good enough reason to justify a discount program of any sort.
GS wants you to 'join' them to not only receive a supposed 10% of their accepting parks and campgrounds, but also at their retail stores. It might be 'worth' it, but it also may not, since now you must justify finding a GS park, which might wind up costing you MORE than another park nearby that already has rates lower than the GS park, even with the discount.

But, some of us just like to have 'um cause it makes us feel good. oh well.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:40 PM   #15

Model: compass 23tw
THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
PA campground and RV parks each set their own rules and restrictions or limitations for accepting PA discounted sites ...

for example:
- it may only apply to a 'few' select sites, which may also be only 30amp or without sewer, etc
- some limit you to only 'weekdays', where weekend nights are at regular price - which 'may' include Fri Sat and even SUN nights
- some limit the discount to only 'off-season' months
- some are limited to only a single night for the discount, where we've see some that have NO limitation on the number of nights
- some require you to RESERVE ahead of arrival, while others will NOT allow an advanced reservation

each campground owner or rv park manager decides how PA is accepted for their business - you must look at their website or call them for the details, or use the PA app which may disclose these...

PA is unique in that the business decides the requirements or limitations ahead of time, and must give you a 1/2 price discount over their 'regular' price... though they can also limit this to only their 'pull thru' sites, or only for 'unimproved' sites... it's up to them.

The great advantage to PA is that you are truly getting a much better price, especially for a simple overnight stay, than you'll probably ever receiver under any other campground or rv park, even with other 'discount' programs. You generally don't have to provide advanced notice, though some may require it, and PA parks aren't typically the 'top tier' parks that may be regularly full when you arrive. They also may not typically be 'right off the highway', and may require a little more driving to find them.

But, even having said all that, we've seen 'mom and pop' campgrounds with as little as 6 or 8 sites take PA, well off the beaten path, and 'top tier' rv parks and campgrounds with hundreds of sites and amenities as part of the PA family. It's all over the place, and it's worth the small price if you travel a lot and don't necessarily go from 'destination to destination', but want easy overnights without advance reservations. The app is the best tool in the market for RV travelers...

Thank You TurnerFam,
For the info,& my little rig I can pop in most any Place.
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:55 AM   #16

Model: 2016 class c 31w
THOR #9093
discount programs

traveled from cali to mich ohio outer banks n.c used coast to coast and had alot of good times at different parks and states
Old 02-05-2019, 04:08 PM   #17

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
We bought in to passport America the day before leaving on our trip. We, I should say my DW has been searching out PA camp sites on the fly. Yes, most limit the nights stayed. But, for our 1 nighters as we drive, it has saved us close to 100 bucks so far! So, well worth the 44 buck by-in.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:37 AM   #18

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmills1334 View Post
traveled from cali to mich ohio outer banks n.c used coast to coast and had alot of good times at different parks and states

Coast to Coast is a whole different animal. It requires membership at a participating resort (with it's own annual fee) and a substantial annual fee. I've been a member for a long time. Some of the resorts are average, some are outstanding. Most are off the well traveled routes.
My results with PA have been mixed. It depended on where and when we traveled. Mostly, it didn't work too well for us. That said, have talked with many who saved a ton.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:21 AM   #19

THOR #13712
We have added PA to our cadre of discount programs, I'm looking forward to getting some good discounts as we plan our travels for this coming year. Thanks to everyone for their input and perspectives.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:24 PM   #20

THOR #11130
Lots of owners start reaching out for discount programs the minute the purchase a "camper". PA has priced themselves very affordable in light of the dream and hype of traveling the country at 50% off. I did this exact thing as well as instantly joining Good Sam. At least GS has paid for itself quickly, as the discounts are full time and you also save on merchandise in the CW stores (as long as you run from the salespeople). I've used PA twice in 2 years but keep it renewed...as it's a small price to pay for the dream...that will come true once we start traveling more and staying at CG's during the week. If PA cost more, there would be less members. If the PA campgrounds were more active for 7 day traveling, membership would cost more. It's a cheap program we back with a gamble it will pay off.

Tags
travel, travel discounts