Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2016, 05:14 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Arizona
THOR #5868
Stalking an ACE 29.3

Greetings. First time poster. We haven't done any RV-ing since the tent camper days in the mid '90's when our kids were wee. I have been keeping my eye on an ACE 29.3 that has been sitting at a local dealer for about 6 months now. They have taken it from RV show to RV show around the valley and we always see it and always scope it out and end up just sitting in it. I think the salesmen think we are lunatics. We really love the floor plan since it provides ample open floor area for our old Lab to walk around on.
I have read scads of posts on these forums discussing the pros and the cons and I figure if I get one, it will either be excellent or it will have issues. that part is a crap shoot.
What I am interested in are the more concrete aspects of the unit. Like, what type of MPG do those of you who have one routinely see? How costly is a scheduled chassis service from a Ford dealer? What can you expect to pay when it's time to replace tires? Stuff like that.

Being 3 years out from retirement I reckon it's time to get something and commence working the kinks out because our intention is to spend the first year after retirement driving all over the place. Thanks for your input.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:35 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ace 29.3
State: Virginia
THOR #3418
We have had ours for almost two years now. Really enjoy it. Haven't really tracked the MPG yet. We only been local, no more than about 2hr trips. Really like the floor plan. We have two dachshunds and they like it also
Old 11-26-2016, 10:35 PM   #3

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
We bought our 29.3 (2016 model) In April and after getting the initial bugs out through the warranty have had zero problems since. If you are worried about gas mileage, maybe you would be better off with a Class B... although they are more expensive. The diesel models get better mileage but cost a lot more, and you could likely buy gas the rest of your life to make up the difference between the Ace and a diesel costing $70,000(or much more) than the Ace. You likely will get around 8 mpg in your Ace, maybe a 1/2 to 1 gallon less per mile if you tow a car. The Ford V8 does a good job but is noisy unless you know how to drive it. For example, don't use the cruise control in areas where you will be doing hill climbing as it will shift down at least two gears ard run around 4,000 rpm when it isn't really necessary. Without the cruise control you have some control over the gear selection and with a little practice we usually only downshift one gear instead of two and it is a lot quieter.

Proper tire pressure is a must, also wheel alignment. If you have it right we don't feel you need any extras to drive down the interstate at 60-65 mph. It seems to track right and even in the wind I have not had any big issues. Others have added Safe-T-Plus but so far I have not needed it.

We too like the floor plan, but looking back we wish it was three feet longer. Also, the drivers seat does not move up and down...a poor decision by Thor.

We also wish the black water holding tank was at least 10 gallons larger as it seems to filll in about three days and there are only two of us.

All in all we are happy with our Ace, and likely could not have got anything else new at the price point we paid.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:44 PM   #4
mrw

Model: A.C.E. 29.3
State: West Virginia
THOR #4502
Hello Bob.....wife & I are owners of a 29.3 which we love. We also have a Lab. We have put app. 5000miles with no problems that I couldnt fix. We avg. Between 8.5 / 9.0 mpg. On interstate I usually set cruise on about 62mph.. Im not planning on Ford doing my service. It easy to change oil & filters. We are perfectly happy with our ACE.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:50 PM   #5

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrw View Post
Hello Bob.....wife & I are owners of a 29.3 which we love. We also have a Lab. We have put app. 5000miles with no problems that I couldnt fix. We avg. Between 8.5 / 9.0 mpg. On interstate I usually set cruise on about 62mph.. Im not planning on Ford doing my service. It easy to change oil & filters. We are perfectly happy with our ACE.
I wish we got 9+ mpg but we live in a mountainous area which likely explains the difference in our mileage as I don't have a heavy foot. I use the local Ford dealer to change oil etc. and it isn't expensive. We had a "surging" problem for a while but I put a couple bottles of gas additive in the tank and what ever was causing the surging went away. It runs like a top now! Thanks for your input.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:16 PM   #6
mrw

Model: A.C.E. 29.3
State: West Virginia
THOR #4502
We live in mountainous area also but nothing like yous. I agree with your post on learning to drive and proper air pressure. We are planning a trip West next year. I will have a toad so im sure my mpg will notbe great. If I have to worry abouf gas mileage.... I better tent ca.p

Tags
ace, ace 29.3, chassis service, mpg