Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2018, 01:38 AM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Jersey
THOR #9948
Rig is at a commercial truck spring, suspension and repair shop. A leaf is being added to the springs. This should raise the rear to where it should be and transfer some weight to the front. Should help with the wander. Wheel alignment too
My Thor 23H is new. I have 2400 mi on it. When I test drove it and hit bumps everything rattled. I thought I needed to remove and secure the grills in the oven and the microwave. I thought the rear may be bottoming out. After reading the Thor forum comments about Thor purchasing standard cab chassis then putting a heavy box on it without suspension upgrades,
I realized the rear was already bottomed out. A visual check confirmed it. Truck shop said it was common and adding a leaf would make a hugh difference Let you know

Old 03-26-2018, 08:24 PM   #62
Max

State: Florida
THOR #6984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Williams View Post
My ACE 30 drives better with the sway bar adjustment and with the extra stabilizer added.
We drive at 55 mph on the interstate when in heavy traffic, and when the wind is blowing, and when we see a semi approaching from behind us. The ACE is controllable at 55 mph when there is no wind or semi passing us.

Even at 55 mph the semis push us over to the right and we have to prepare to counter act the push or we are pushed out of our lane. If there is little traffic and no wind we can get to 60-65 mph but we must stay alert for any approaching semis.

This requires such concentration and keeping control of the RV is so demanding that we can only drive for about an hour and a half and then we have to switch to the other driver. When we tow our small car we cannot tell any difference in this situation. Trips that take a day now take two days. Trips that take two days now take four days. This creates extra expense for the additional RV charges.

When driving the Thor ACE we both hate it. When parked we like it very much. It fits our needs and our wish is that Thor and Camping World, or Thor or Ford would recall it.

On our last trip from Niceville Fl to Mariana Fl and back we decided to return home on highway 90 rather than I-10 and avoid the problems of wind and semis passing us.

I cannot believe that anyone working for Camping World, Thor, or Ford would accept a new vehicle with this kind of problem.

An unhappy owner of an ACE
I wish my husband and I had done our research. We bought an Ace Thor and when driving it, my husband experienced the same. We put a stabilizer on it. Helped some. But just like everyone is saying.... wind and semis are wicked. We've had it a little over a year. I haven't tried to drive it. I'm upset we'r made such a large purchase and had little knowledge. What were we thinking? And it's retired people like us that are probably good targets for them. If anyone hears of a recall, or class action suite, we will be right there with you. Now I'm scared to take it on a long trip. We've not been out of Florida yet! I am going to continue to read for updates. Thanks, Max
Old 03-26-2018, 08:50 PM   #63

Model: Four Winds 22B
THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
I wish my husband and I had done our research. We bought an Ace Thor and when driving it, my husband experienced the same. We put a stabilizer on it. Helped some. But just like everyone is saying.... wind and semis are wicked. We've had it a little over a year. I haven't tried to drive it. I'm upset we'r made such a large purchase and had little knowledge. What were we thinking? And it's retired people like us that are probably good targets for them. If anyone hears of a recall, or class action suite, we will be right there with you. Now I'm scared to take it on a long trip. We've not been out of Florida yet! I am going to continue to read for updates. Thanks, Max
Have you had a wheel alignment done on it yet the #1 reason for bad handling had the same issue once I had the wheel alignment done I can drive 70 MPH with one hand and only slight push from semi on highway

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:16 PM   #64

THOR #9948
It is common knowledge that RV manufacturers buy Ford and Chevy medium duty chassis cabs and build the coach without upgrading the suspension. I purchased a new Thor 23 H on a Ford E350 chassis. Suspension upgrades were not discussed. I experienced all the handling and stability problems others discussed in this forum.
After 3K in suspension upgrades the coach handles and rides like a Suburban. No handling problems at any speed. Stable in wind gusts. No vibrations. One hand on the wheel.
I took the rig to a commercial truck suspension shop. Wheel alignment was first on the list. Toe and camber were out. A leaf was added to the rear leaf springs. This raised the rear 2-1/2”, leveled the rig and transferred some weight yo the front wheels getting rid of the float. Aligned the driveshaft a little as well. No more vibration .Rpsdmaster steariing stabilizer, Roadmaster HD rear sway bar, and 4 Bilstein shocks.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:53 PM   #65
Max

THOR #6984
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbenny View Post
Have you had a wheel alignment done on it yet the #1 reason for bad handling had the same issue once I had the wheel alignment done I can drive 70 MPH with one hand and only slight push from semi on highway
No, but it is the next thing we do!! Calling tomorrow.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:53 PM   #66
Max

THOR #6984
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbenny View Post
Thanks for the help. I love this forum!! Gives so much info.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:42 AM   #67

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Not being sarcastic but thank you are reminding me why an F53 would not be good for us. We had the same problems in the DP to a lesser extent. Looking at F53 at campgrounds and little extra room would be nice but we have heard this story a few times from F53 people looking at our coach.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:27 AM   #68

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #10300
Unfortunately, any F53 chassis-based MH will have to be tweaked by a new owner, but it can be done. We have a 2014 ACE 29.2 purchased 3rd hand in 2016, and it handled terribly -- 1st trip was 600 mile round trip with all the issues you and others mentioned. Previous 2 owners made no modifications to the suspension.

We added a Steering stabilizer (more of a safety matter [e.g., tire blow out,etc.] than for improving handling); replaced the front anti-sway bar with an upgraded Roadmaster version; added a Roadmaster rear anti-sway bar; and had a comprehensive alignment by a truck shop. Took a 4400 mile trip (TN to CA) last March towing a Jeep GC. Handling was good with very little issues with passing semis even at high (70ish MPH) speeds. Return portion of trip was accomplished with major storm coming up from the Gulf chasing us the whole way (mostly sid loads). Only time I had an issue was when I became somewhat complacent and was surprised by a huge gust while passing a valley, which funneled the wind between two large hills causing us to cross half way into the adjacent lane. Had I been paying more attention, I probably could have anticipated this situation and slowed down a bit.

Since then, we have added SuperSpring to the rear and SumoSprings to the front - probably overkill, but the handling is about a good as one can expect for a 12' high 30' long box traveling 65 -70 MPH on poorly maintained Interstate highways.

Net: it will cost you some $ to get the rig dialed in, but it can be eminently usable once you do. Good luck!!
Old 04-11-2018, 12:12 PM   #69

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcorry View Post
Unfortunately, any F53 chassis-based MH will have to be tweaked by a new owner, but it can be done. We have a 2014 ACE 29.2 purchased 3rd hand in 2016, and it handled terribly -- 1st trip was 600 mile round trip with all the issues you and others mentioned. Previous 2 owners made no modifications to the suspension.

We added a Steering stabilizer (more of a safety matter [e.g., tire blow out,etc.] than for improving handling); replaced the front anti-sway bar with an upgraded Roadmaster version; added a Roadmaster rear anti-sway bar; and had a comprehensive alignment by a truck shop. Took a 4400 mile trip (TN to CA) last March towing a Jeep GC. Handling was good with very little issues with passing semis even at high (70ish MPH) speeds. Return portion of trip was accomplished with major storm coming up from the Gulf chasing us the whole way (mostly sid loads). Only time I had an issue was when I became somewhat complacent and was surprised by a huge gust while passing a valley, which funneled the wind between two large hills causing us to cross half way into the adjacent lane. Had I been paying more attention, I probably could have anticipated this situation and slowed down a bit.

Since then, we have added SuperSpring to the rear and SumoSprings to the front - probably overkill, but the handling is about a good as one can expect for a 12' high 30' long box traveling 65 -70 MPH on poorly maintained Interstate highways.

Net: it will cost you some $ to get the rig dialed in, but it can be eminently usable once you do. Good luck!!
My wife and I replaced the front and rear stabilizer bars, front and rear in our driveway on our 2017 Thor Axis 25.2. Made a huge difference in handling and much more steady on the road and passing trucks and curves. Roadmaster rep was VERY helpful. No wobble or constant back and forth with the steering wheel.... Bob Trice
Old 04-13-2018, 12:31 AM   #70

Model: Ace 30.4
State: Louisiana
THOR #9620
I have the 2018 Thor Ace 30.4 and my first few interstate trips involved a lot of White knuckles when being passed by semi trucks. I haven’t made any modifications, but after a few thousand miles of interstate driving I stopped worrying about it as much and haven’t hit anyone yet. I do run off on the shoulder from time to time. It helped using the state inspection sticker location on my windshield to help me “aim” for the lane center, but learning to feel more comfortable just looking straight ahead. I have found that 60-65 is my max speed that I feel comfortable driving. Staying in the center seems better than trying to ride the outer edge. The tendency is for the motorhome to first pull toward the right, then back toward the left as the semi passes. I think your issue relates to all the Aces, if I had it to do over again, not sure I would have made the same choice of RV, but my bed is made now, got to sleep on it.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:07 AM   #71
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeagle63 View Post
I have the 2018 Thor Ace 30.4 and my first few interstate trips involved a lot of White knuckles when being passed by semi trucks. I haven’t made any modifications, but after a few thousand miles of interstate driving I stopped worrying about it as much and haven’t hit anyone yet. I do run off on the shoulder from time to time. It helped using the state inspection sticker location on my windshield to help me “aim” for the lane center, but learning to feel more comfortable just looking straight ahead. I have found that 60-65 is my max speed that I feel comfortable driving. Staying in the center seems better than trying to ride the outer edge. The tendency is for the motorhome to first pull toward the right, then back toward the left as the semi passes. I think your issue relates to all the Aces, if I had it to do over again, not sure I would have made the same choice of RV, but my bed is made now, got to sleep on it.
Zeagle63: Did you ever get your coach aligned? If not you should asap.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:56 AM   #72

Model: Challenger LX
State: Nebraska
THOR #6543
Sumo Springs!
Old 04-14-2018, 12:15 AM   #73

State: California
THOR #9612
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler412 View Post
Has anyone had any luck with Thor regarding the steering issues? I just purchased a 2014 A.C.E. 27.1 and have had no luck keeping it on the road when a semi goes by. I have added a safety plus steering stabilizer which helped with the initial wandering and need for consistent correction to keep it on the road.

Now when on an interstate I am faced with semi's blowing me out of my lane and onto the shoulder. I had to get off of the interstate on my last trip and travel back roads to get home.

I took the unit to a local Ford Dealer and was advised that the F53 chassis is not designed for the motor home that Thor puts on the chassis and this is a constant problem they are seeing with Thor and other manufactures.

I contacted Thor and was advised there was no problem with the unit. The problem was that I didn't know how to drive a motor home?

I am now trying the Cheap Fix and an anti-sway bar. So now not only have I purchased a $100,000 dollar motor home that I can't take on an interstate hwy. I now have to spend another $1,000 plus to HOPEFULLY FIX this defect in Thor's design.

Anyone had any luck getting reimbursed?
I replace my sway bars in the rear, my Thor 29.3 handles much better, the RV,s are top heavy and the stiffer bars helps out a lot, cost about $1600.00 was worth it
Old 06-07-2018, 12:51 AM   #74

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeagle63 View Post
I had the same problem initially. My front end alignment was fine & tire pressure was at recommended ranges. The slower I was going and the faster the big trucks were going pushed me even worse.

My initial response was to speed up as they passed to cut down on the difference, but that is dangerous and silly...I got this thing to enjoy life, not go speeding around.

I did the CHF on front & rear and added a rear trac bar (+/- $500) and my unit is handling a thousand times better.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:32 AM   #75

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
A rear tracbar will probably be your biggest difference on sway from Semi's. The CHF is the next best change in my opinion. I also added sumos to the front.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:53 PM   #76

Model: 2015 Axis 24.1. (E-350)
State: Ohio
THOR #11485
Steering issues resolved ( for the most part)

I bought a little smaller unit , Axis 24.1, and when I picked it up in Michigan to drive it home to Ohio it was March with high winds and rain driving through the lake areas. That thing was all over the road with every gust of wind or truck that passed me and if you let go of the wheel it would take a hard turn to the right. After 4 hours of white knuckled I stopped for the night. I got on this forum and read a few posts when I eventually got home and someone wrote that they had to have an alignment from a reputable trucking company and added the Safe-T-Plus stabilizer. I also read the sticker in the cab that stated the unit should be alinged with the typical weight you are going to drive it with. I took it too a big truck company and had it aligned ( they said it was toed in 1" on each side) and then brought it home and added the stabilizer. For the most part the problem went away, certainly 90% better. I just drove I thought to NC through the mountains to see my son, 10 hour each way , and drove without stopping. Can't really feel semi trucks passing very much anymore but a gust of wind still requires a correction, not to bad though unless it's real high. Now if I let go of the wheel on a flat road she will run true but depending on which side of the road I'm on I still have to adjust for curvature which is normal.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:06 PM   #77

THOR #9948
I am happy for you!! Glad you can now enjoy it as I do mine
Old 07-02-2018, 11:39 PM   #78

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
I have a friend who bought one used, a year old. I drove it from where he bought it to the storage I use. It did not handle right, I told him to take it to an alignment shop, I gave him the number of it. They aligned it, and fixed the tow and also the camber. It seems like almost all of the motor homes need an alignment once they are delivered....you would think the dealer would have it done before it is sold... The load you add is not really noticeable for alignment purposes. Your toe in of 1" is unacceptable for a new delivery. I hope you get your money back from Ford, the dealer or Thor. If you call you ca get reimbursed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichoga2 View Post
I bought a little smaller unit , Axis 24.1, and when I picked it up in Michigan to drive it home to Ohio it was March with high winds and rain driving through the lake areas. That thing was all over the road with every gust of wind or truck that passed me and if you let go of the wheel it would take a hard turn to the right. After 4 hours of white knuckled I stopped for the night. I got on this forum and read a few posts when I eventually got home and someone wrote that they had to have an alignment from a reputable trucking company and added the Safe-T-Plus stabilizer. I also read the sticker in the cab that stated the unit should be alinged with the typical weight you are going to drive it with. I took it too a big truck company and had it aligned ( they said it was toed in 1" on each side) and then brought it home and added the stabilizer. For the most part the problem went away, certainly 90% better. I just drove I thought to NC through the mountains to see my son, 10 hour each way , and drove without stopping. Can't really feel semi trucks passing very much anymore but a gust of wind still requires a correction, not to bad though unless it's real high. Now if I let go of the wheel on a flat road she will run true but depending on which side of the road I'm on I still have to adjust for curvature which is normal.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:47 PM   #79

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
they work

I met a guy who had a 38' and had them on the sides and on the top. He tows a Jeep. He told me his mileage went from 7 to 8 by putting the air tabs on. No mention of handling, I did not ask.
Ford V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
OMG ROTF...

An old thread but damn that was priceless!
Old 07-04-2018, 10:32 AM   #80

Model: Ace 30.4
State: Louisiana
THOR #9620
Mine was pretty miserable my first few trips and I am not new to rv driving. The CHF/sway bar adjustment front and back was a game changer. Now we’re good.