Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2018, 01:15 PM   #81

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Jersey
THOR #9948
����

Old 07-04-2018, 05:09 PM   #82

Brand: Still Looking
State: Michigan
THOR #3954
Adding better sway control will minimize those white knuckle semi encounters.

Aside from the inherent slop in the steering (it is after all, a truck chassis), the RV leans away, then towards a semi as it passes.

This is caused by the positive and negative air pressure waves between the two very un-aerodynamic vehicles.

The RV is pushed out and then sucked back towards the passing truck. This leaning changes the steering geometry and steers the RV back and forth. The semi also feels the tugging, but due to its much higher mass, is largely unaffected.

Recommend heavy aftermarket sway bars, both front and rear, and track bar to limit lateral movement .

These are not cheap handling fixes, but if you are serious about safety and handling improvements, these will put a smile on your face.

http://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/rss/rv_sway.html

https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/UltraTrac-Trac-Bars
Old 07-09-2018, 06:51 PM   #83

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #10574
My local Ford dealer has a special running for $310.50 for Class A (Heavy Duty) alignments. Does that price seem right? Feels a little high to me, but I have never had it done before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2018-07-09 13.49.07.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	11309  

Hauling the family around the country in our 2018 Thor ACE 30.2. Running, cycling or running my agency the rest of the time.
Ferf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:16 PM   #84

State: Florida
THOR #6491
We just put Bilstein comforter shocks and front end alignment not much under 1,000. We have a safety T. The ride is wonderful and worth it the money. The alignment was about what you were quoted. We have 26 ft C Class
Old 07-10-2018, 06:24 PM   #85

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’ve had two coaches aligned at a local truck suspension place. Both times it was about $140. It would be more is a camber adjustment kit was needed but wasn’t. But mine is a different market and it was not a Ford dealer.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:02 PM   #86

Model: 2015 Axis 24.1. (E-350)
State: Ohio
THOR #11485
I have a 25' Axis, alignment cost me $109
Old 07-11-2018, 12:41 AM   #87

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichoga2 View Post
I have a 25' Axis, alignment cost me $109
Got a 25.2 VEGAS and also was 109.00 at COMMERCIAL GOODYEAR SHOP. They said the wheels were actually pointed at each other from the factory. Before allignment highest comfortable speed being 60 mph, to driving comfortably at 70-75 mph.

Didn't even notice my speed, my spouse behind me in the JEEP said " it must be driving better..."
Old 07-11-2018, 01:24 AM   #88

Model: 2015 Axis 24.1. (E-350)
State: Ohio
THOR #11485
Same here. They said my Axis was "toed in an inch on each side an it was going to go where it wanted to go". That was the truth because I was fighting it constantly and after alignment and Safe T Plus stabilizer she's just fine. Passing semi's don't even move me at 70 and I'm usually passing them. Still feels the cross winds though but I'm sure they all do !
Old 07-11-2018, 05:28 AM   #89

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferf View Post
My local Ford dealer has a special running for $310.50 for Class A (Heavy Duty) alignments. Does that price seem right? Feels a little high to me, but I have never had it done before.
I recently had our 17 Challenger 37TB Aligned, it's a 38' Class A cost me $168 worth every cent !
Old 08-11-2020, 01:47 AM   #90

Model: Freedom Elite 23H
State: Colorado
THOR #15079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking View Post
Yes, I agree
My Thor 23H is on. Ford E350. Bought it new and experienced all the white knuckle driving problems I read about on this forum.
I can’t enjoy the rig if I have to fight it all the time . A commercial truck repair shop is the way to go.
First step upgrade rear sway bar and steering stabilizer with Roadmaster products. Upgrade shocks with Bilsteins
Second, I have an appointment with commercial truck shop to have drive axle and steering wheel alignment, reposition steering stabilizer and take some play out of the steering wheel. Lastly balance all tires if needed. Not cheap but worth it to me
Let you know

If anyone else went this route please let me know
Do you know the part number you used on your 23H for the bilstein rear shocks and did you install them yourself?
Old 08-11-2020, 02:06 AM   #91

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: California
THOR #791
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrays View Post
I hear ya! We have a 2014 Hurricane 32A. It's tough to keep on the road... I have to micromanage the steering wheel to keep it in the lane. I complained about the wondering and got the alignment re-done. No change.
After we get to where we are going I am tuckered out and need a nap. I enjoy driving but c'mon.....
Update: since this post I've installed a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, track bar, bigger front sway bar, added a rear sway bar and changed out the shocks to Koni's.
I'm not in favor of the CHF as it throws off the geometry for the function of the sway bar and probably limits the amount of suspension travel, IMO.
Some folks are adding SumoSprings but I feel it makes for a rougher ride unless you are really loaded down and need them. Sure, it does help the lean somewhat, but if you do the sway bar upgrade you won't effect the ride as much.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:52 AM   #92

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I got the biggest bang for the buck with the CHF and front sumos. The sumos are life savers. The ride is so much better after their installation.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:31 PM   #93

State: New Jersey
THOR #9948
Will find paperwork and post model #’s
Old 08-11-2020, 04:29 PM   #94

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
Before you spend a $ on aftermarket parts, have the Frontend Alignment checked !
The Tech that corrected the Alignment on our 17 Challenger 37 TB said that Heavy Truck, and RV chassis Manufacturers "Ball Park" align the chassis, and the end user set the Correct Final Alignment after the final configuration is established.
Our Challenger was White Knuckle, and Constant Steering Inputs until I had it Aligned in preparation for adding a Steering Stabiliser !
It made such an improvement in the handling I have yet to install a Stabiliser, although I should for it's intended purpose, Steer Tire Blowout Steering Control !