Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2018, 08:43 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29M Windsport
State: Georgia
THOR #12172
Safe T Plus installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofwoof View Post
I went with the Safe T Plus, very happy with it, but I’m sure the roadmaster is just fine too. I only went with the Safe T Plus because when I was researching the CHF, it seemed like most people that commented also bought the Safe T Plus. Word of warning if you’re doing it yourself the shackle bolts to mount the bracket were a bear to remove.
Have most done the installation yourself or did Ford do the work? If you did it, did you have to remove the wheels or jack up each side?

Old 07-07-2018, 09:22 PM   #42

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: South Dakota
THOR #9611
I went with the Roadmaster. I chose it because of the design. I like the idea that it consists of both a spring and a shock absorber. My feeling is that shocks wear out or get weak and with the spring there will always be some stabilizing even if the shock fails. It's just me but I like having a built in backup. We just returned from a 7200 mile trip to Alaska and back and I am very happy with the way our 32 ft Hurricane handled. I've done the CHF both front and rear and installed a rear track bar in addition to the stabilizer.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:17 PM   #43

Model: Vegas 25.4
State: Wisconsin
THOR #10220
Roadmaster Reflex Steerint Stabilizer

Like it was said in an earlier post, It's six of one and half a dozen of another. I went with the Roadmaster on my 2017 Vegas 25.4 and it has made a world of difference. No more "Squirrily" steering and battling the draft of passing Semis. I liked the idea of the actual spring on the outside of the unit. Not sure how they get the steering back to center with the Safety Plus unit. Ray
Old 07-07-2018, 11:40 PM   #44

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
It is my understanding that the CHF doesn't apply to the E450 chassis. I have the safe-T-Plus. It is great. I'm only about 4 hours from their factory (near Atlanta) so I just arranged to have them install it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:15 AM   #45

State: South Carolina
THOR #6691
Steering more stable

We added the Safety Plus to our Thor 26HE and it made a major difference in improving the steering.

JP
Old 07-08-2018, 11:02 PM   #46

Model: 2015 Axis 24.1. (E-350)
State: Ohio
THOR #11485
Steering stabalizers

I installed the Safe T Plus and it works great !
Old 07-09-2018, 12:06 AM   #47

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
I use the Roadmaster reflex on our Vegas. Cannot say if it really changed a lot but you do notice "Return to center" spring in action. I did it mainly to help in event of wife (little person) having to deal with front blowout.

Important note: prior to adding Roadmaster, RV would wander on initial trip out to racetrack. On return trip there was always less wander. None of it would be considered white knuckle. When I replaced factory damper, it required a few strokes in and out to dampen. I am thinking difference seen on return trip was from use. Outbound trip was usually after 5 to 14 days of inactivity. Maybe factory damper was defective.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:06 AM   #48

Model: Ace 30.2
THOR #11238
I just had the safety plus installed it is great
Old 07-09-2018, 12:36 AM   #49

Model: Chateau 31E
State: Missouri
THOR #10591
We have the Safe-T-Plus. It works great on our 2018 Chateau 31E. Was a major improvement in handling.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:17 AM   #50

Model: ace 29.3
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5403
I put Roadmaster and sumo springs on on my ACE 29.3. Drives a lot better now.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:56 AM   #51

Model: Quantum 31WS
State: Arizona
THOR #7419
We put Safe T Plus on our 35 Winnebago, and later a 40 Entegra, Now have a Roadmaster installed on our Quantum WS31. I loved the installation on all of the rigs, but would not hesitate to put the Roadmaster on a smaller unit like you have. That and getting a good algnment is likely all you'll ever need.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:37 PM   #52

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #11309
I installed Sumo Spring front and rear and Safe-T-Plus on my Axis. World of difference.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:19 AM   #53

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #4986
Thanks to all the replies. Appreciate you all taking the time. I went with the Roadmaster and it did the job for my needs. Next up Sumos!! [emoji12]
Jerry B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:12 PM   #54

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #10574
I was going to be driving through Atlanta on a trip next week and reached out to safe-t-plus about factory install. Confirmed that they will install for free in 30-60 minutes! They called me back within the hour to try and schedule (although the timing didnt work out as they are off to a convention and not at the factory).

From their site "Yes, you sure can. We would be delighted to meet you and your family at our factory location in Austell, Georgia, just west of Downtown Atlanta. As a token of our appreciation for your business and visiting our factory, you only pay for the Safe T Plus Steering Control unit and mounting hardware kit. Installation, Road Test, and Centering service charges are provided at no charge to you. To schedule your Safe T Plus installation, simply contact our Customer Help team either by phone (800) 872-7233 or by email at support@safe-t-plus.com. Come spend the night at the plant prior to your scheduled appointment. We’ll have fresh coffee and some pastry breakfast delights waiting for you."

That is my kind of business

Hauling the family around the country in our 2018 Thor ACE 30.2. Running, cycling or running my agency the rest of the time.
Ferf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:54 AM   #55

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Missouri
THOR #5711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferf View Post
I was going to be driving through Atlanta on a trip next week and reached out to safe-t-plus about factory install. Confirmed that they will install for free in 30-60 minutes! They called me back within the hour to try and schedule (although the timing didnt work out as they are off to a convention and not at the factory).

From their site "Yes, you sure can. We would be delighted to meet you and your family at our factory location in Austell, Georgia, just west of Downtown Atlanta. As a token of our appreciation for your business and visiting our factory, you only pay for the Safe T Plus Steering Control unit and mounting hardware kit. Installation, Road Test, and Centering service charges are provided at no charge to you. To schedule your Safe T Plus installation, simply contact our Customer Help team either by phone (800) 872-7233 or by email at support@safe-t-plus.com. Come spend the night at the plant prior to your scheduled appointment. We’ll have fresh coffee and some pastry breakfast delights waiting for you."

That is my kind of business

I’m a fan of safe-t-plus but they do sell through other channels and for example you can by the product on line for less and install it yourself or have someone install it and net out at about the same total cost. Agree with you that it’s a good company and product. In our experience in made a nice difference in our MH driving experience.
Lagrandd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:29 AM   #56

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
It does seem like a fine company. I called with a question and was given exemplary treatment. They can install it for free because it’s so easy. Mine took about an hour but most of that time was a trip to the store for a bigger socket wrench. Also, since it was my first one it took longer. I think I could do it again in about 15 minutes! Adjustment is a pain (mostly because you have to get on the ground) but it’s simple and quick.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:56 PM   #57

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
I installed Sumo Springs front and rear to replace the bump stops on our Axis 24.1 .

Ron
Can you tell me which bump stops you installed on the rear? SSR-130-47 or SSR-130-54? TIA
Old 11-29-2018, 04:15 PM   #58

THOR #10788
Steering Stabilizers

vcb, would you be able to take a few detailed pics of rear sumos please, especially where the spring meets the frame, thanks!
Old 11-29-2018, 07:12 PM   #59

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcorry View Post
FYI -- the Safe-T-Plus and its Roadmaster counterpart are primarily for safety should you encounter a blow out, etc. as these steering stabilizers assist steering/directional control when a front tire/wheel fails/goes off the road/hits significantly deteriorated road surface, etc.. It usually adds some stability to the coach, but not much. Proper tire pressure and alignment are a must for drivability and handling. If further improvements are desired, heavy duty front and rear sway bars would probably be next followed by SumoSprings or similar products. Make any improvements incrementally before going the next step as it may be unnecessary. Further, most all suspension related enhancements add weight, which should be taken into account as well. Note: the cheap handling fix (CHF) noted in these forums only apply to the Ford F53 chassis I believe.
I concur ! Our 17 Challenger 37 TB was a handful, especially in Windy conditions, it was two hands, white knuckle, constant steering inputs. I was going to add a steering see, but decided to have an alignment done first, to hopefully help with tire wear.
Had the alignment done at a local truck alignment shop, and was amazed by the improved handling !
Our coach is now a joy to drive, and will track straight down the lane HANDS OFF ! Passing vehicles of any size are barely noticeable now ( oddly I get the most movement from the Transit type cargo vans ) tractor trailers are no problem.
Still plan on adding a Steering Stabiliser for Safety Sake !
If your going to be going near Atlanta, Ga. Safe-T-Plus will install their stabilizer, and road test/ adjust, for FREE.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:29 AM   #60

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckro05 View Post
He went with RoadMaster suspension (front and rear) and steering. On our Thor Hurricane 29M. It handles like a new machine!! We also added Sumosprings in the rear as we carry a Harley-Davidson on the back and needed the suspension boost. We are extremely pleased with the overall upgrade. The RV handles turns, winds and higher speeds with ease and stuff onboard stay put! Attachment 11267

That is way too much weight for the hitch? 500 lb rating. That combo has got to be over that.