Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2017, 07:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Storage Cover

Hi, me again! A bunch of you said don't hesitate to ask questions... I hope I'm not abusing the favor! I searched for this and couldn't find any previous discussions.

My wife saw a storage cover at Camping World while we were browsing between looking at RV's. It seems to be big enough for our new Challenger 37LX, costs around $400. She wants to use the cover while it's at the RV storage lot, in between trips.

Any thoughts? I'm not concerned about the cost, so much as ease of use, practicality, etc. Here in Phoenix the sun shines brutally hot a good portion of the year, and she wants to protect our new baby.

The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:23 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I think a cover is a good idea. I cover our Axis in the winter--probably should start covering it more in the summer.

I can put ours on and off by myself but it does take some doing (the biggest reason I don't just cover it year round). When properly put on and strapped down you shouldn't have any issues (if its to loose the wind whipping around can wear on the edges of the RV).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:25 PM   #3

THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I think a cover is a good idea. I cover our Axis in the winter--probably should start covering it more in the summer.

I can put ours on and off by myself but it does take some doing (the biggest reason I don't just cover it year round). When properly put on and strapped down you shouldn't have any issues (if its to loose the wind whipping around can wear on the edges of the RV).
Thanks Jamie, appreciate your experience!
Old 06-13-2017, 11:10 PM   #4

Model: ACE 27.1
State: New Hampshire
THOR #7347
we keep our unit covered most of the time when not in use, especially in winter here inNH. Keeps it looking good. we bought our cover via amazon, same brand as at CW for a lot less and with amazon prime free shipping.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:19 PM   #5

THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Fosters RV View Post
we keep our unit covered most of the time when not in use, especially in winter here inNH. Keeps it looking good. we bought our cover via amazon, same brand as at CW for a lot less and with amazon prime free shipping.
Thanks! I'll check Amazon, Prime is the best!
Old 06-25-2017, 12:59 AM   #6

THOR #7863
I found several RV covers that are long and wide enough, but they all say they're for units that are 122" or shorter. The specs say the '17 Challenger 37LX height is 153".

I know I don't want the cover on the ground, but can't tell if this will work. Any Challenger owners with experience?

I'm also kinda worried now, after researching a bit. Seems most MH's are 10 or 11 feet tall, mine is 12.75 (153"). Will I run into clearance problems on the roads and highways?

Thanks, Mike
Old 06-27-2017, 01:29 PM   #7

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
THOR #8050
Hey Mike in AZ! I live in Surprise and do not have a covered storage either. I am buying the best cover from Amazon's site as well. My RV is only 31' so the labor involved is a lot less. I watched several videos on YouTube that shows the easiest way to accomplish a one-man application and/or removal.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:47 PM   #8

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Anything you can do to protect it from the outside weather will certainly help. Covers are, however, IMO a real PITA to deal with. Most folks do it for awhile, then don't.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:57 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Also it's difficult to keep them from flapping in the wind and I've seen some considerable finish damage from that. In addition, they will eventually wear through some holes and then water will get in and be trapped possibly leading to mildew and such. After research I've decided to do what I can by just keeping my new MH clean and well waxed and not always parking it facing the same direction at my storage place to keep the fading "balance".
Old 06-27-2017, 02:20 PM   #10

THOR #8050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Also it's difficult to keep them from flapping in the wind and I've seen some considerable finish damage from that. In addition, they will eventually wear through some holes and then water will get in and be trapped possibly leading to mildew and such. After research I've decided to do what I can by just keeping my new MH clean and well waxed and not always parking it facing the same direction at my storage place to keep the fading "balance".
Did you apply the dealer exterior/interior protection to your vehicle?
Old 06-27-2017, 02:29 PM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
We saw some finish damage on our 5th wheel when we covered it one year right before a wind storm ripped the cover right off and the rig next to ours. Found both covers all entangled up in a far corner of the lot.

So far been lucky with the Axis: Not much, if any, wear and the cover has stayed on (most likely because I only cover it in winter and it gets a good helping of snow on top to keep it on). I do keep the end straps pretty tight in an effort to reduce the cover whipping around.

For us it appears that the cover is only going to last at most 5 years before I have to replace it due to rips & tears and wear.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:53 PM   #12

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
I think you'll find that to put it on/off after each trip will get to be a royal PITA. I'm about to start storing mine in Arizona (near Eloy) winters & NOT covering it, seen TOO many covers ripped to shreds by winds & beating the crap out of the rv under the pieces of cover that were left. If I lived where the were lots of snow, trees, leaves & not much wind then I might cover it in the winter, but not after each trip
Also DO NOT use the height of your particular coach from any brochure or from someone here, climb up & measure to the tallest fixture on the roof for yourself, that's the ONLY way you know for sure.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:24 PM   #13

THOR #7863
Thank you all for the great info! It's given me a lot to think about and follow up research to do.

XKansan, We live in Waddell so we're practically neighbors!
Old 06-28-2017, 12:20 AM   #14

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKANSAN View Post
Did you apply the dealer exterior/interior protection to your vehicle?

Somewhat against my better judgement we did. I have used a product called Voom on it and so far I'm happy with the results. Of course, it's only 6 months old so not really enough time to tell.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:05 AM   #15

THOR #8050
Quote:
Somewhat against my better judgement we did. I have used a product called Voom on it and so far I'm happy with the results. Of course, it's only 6 months old so not really enough time to tell.
I passed on our dealership's offer. They wanted $2,400 to protect the exterior and interior.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:55 AM   #16

THOR #7863
Quote:
I passed on our dealership's offer. They wanted $2,400 to protect the exterior and interior.
We made the same decision. We bought from Camping World in Avondale, how about you?
Old 06-28-2017, 03:29 AM   #17

THOR #8050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
We made the same decision. We bought from Camping World in Avondale, how about you?
We got ours from La Mesa when they had a show at Cardinal's Stadium a few weeks ago.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:38 AM   #18

THOR #7863
Quote:
We got ours from La Mesa when they had a show at Cardinal's Stadium a few weeks ago.
Cool, we were at the same show! Be nice to run into you some time.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:55 AM   #19

THOR #8050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
Cool, we were at the same show! Be nice to run into you some time.
I agree. We store ours at the Riverboat storage on Bell just west of Citrus.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:47 AM   #20

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
I tried using a cover years ago on one of our other coaches, did not like the results. No matter how tightly you strap it down the wind will find a way. Had a hole where the ladder meets the roof even though I had padded it and made sure the cover was tight. Paint on the coach was scuffed at all four corners.

After my bad experience I started using covers on the roof ACs only, keeps leafs and crud out, I also cover the wheels. Before storage I used good quality wash and wax and that's it. Quick wash in the spring and ready to go. Did this when we lived in Indiana and got fair amounts of winter snow.