Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2018, 06:52 AM   #21

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I've seen some pretty scary prices for installing these...
(2018 E-450, with a 209" wheelbase.)
Is this pretty much a "do NOT do it yourself" project?

I was thinking that I could use the leveling jacks to get the tires off the ground...

It was easy on my Quantum GR22.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:47 PM   #22
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Is your rig on the 350 Chassis?
I wonder how much difference there is (if any!); in installing them on a 450?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:35 PM   #23

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
In one of the videos I think you said this was a Winnebago 26HE. Regardless, the solid white looks very different. Was it painted, or just tape removed and nice wax job? Looks very shiny to not be paint.

Sorry to drift off topic for a second.
peeled the stickers and machine buffed..
Old 07-22-2018, 06:49 PM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1532285320
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gunny 01.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	11644  
Old 07-22-2018, 06:52 PM   #25

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I'm drifting with you. Very nice looking coach!! I love the solid white with no "Tribal Stripes". And that trailer...with windows...you gotta tell us about that and what's in it!! How do you use it? I hate to come peeking in your windows.
we haul 2 rzr1000"s , and go to the dunes a lot... we set up the trailer to be able to get out of the wind at the dunes, you'd be surprised at how many people we end up with in there..

https://youtu.be/v3WG-AOsSNs
Old 07-22-2018, 06:59 PM   #26

THOR #12329
ooops, that was the new black one... here's the old white one..

https://youtu.be/vGzvXtTuikU
Old 07-29-2018, 12:14 AM   #27

Model: Outlaw
State: Colorado
THOR #11101
I installed them on my Thor Outlaw and have had great luck with them. I installed myself, but I have the equipment and experience to do it. To do a quality job, you will need to remove front tires and definitely the rear tires. Do not trust the leveling Jack's to support the rig. To many things can go wrong. You will also need quality drill bits as the frame rails are hardened and cheap drill bits go south long before you get the job done
The job is not really difficult, just lots of big stuff to deal with. Best pricing seems to come from Amazon
Good luck and be safe
Old 07-29-2018, 01:14 AM   #28

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: British Columbia
THOR #10751
I installed a set, (rear) myself. Very easy. Used my leveling jacks to lift, then blocked it. All but one hole was easy to drill. Needed to template the last and drilled from behind. 1000miles so far and very pleased. I added for a stiffer rear suspension as I have a motorcycle lift on the back.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:50 AM   #29

State: Florida
THOR #6491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry B. View Post
Contemplating getting some Sumo springs for my Vegas. Wondering whether I should go just front, rear, or both ? Anyone have a ball park cost on them? Appreciate it and thanks.
We put Bilstein comfort shocks on and we did not need Sumo Springs.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:49 PM   #30

Model: chateau 23U
State: Florida
THOR #1241
Super Springs (Sumos) helped front end

Chateau 23U (Class C) has chevy 3500 chassis and is lightly sprung (rides much better than previous 4500). On a washboard road the front end bottomed out misaligning the front end. I put Sumo bump stops on the front end and solved the problem at less than $100. Easy to install. Problem solved!
Old 06-08-2020, 01:22 AM   #31

THOR #18887
Sumo springs on a Outlaw29h.
Old 06-08-2020, 02:58 AM   #32

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #5494
[QUOTE=Jerry B.;132750]Contemplating getting some Sumo springs for my Vegas. Wondering whether I should go just front, rear, or both ? Anyone have a ball park cost on them? Appreciate it and thanks.[/QUOTE

Hello Jerry B, I have a 2016 25.2 Vegas and I put the sumo springs on the front. I measured the front top of wheel well to floor before and after. They actually raised the front end up right at 3/4 inch. I have only driven around 15 miles a month to exercise it We have not been on a trip with them. I replaced the anti sway bars front and back with Hellwig and I added a Safe t Plus steering stabilizer. Now there was a huge positive different in handling with those 2 additions. 4 Koni shocks have been ordered tonight. Last year I took the factory steering stabilizer off and it was worn out at 20k miles. I made the suspension up grades little at a time. Well good Luck and your certainly on the right path.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8136[6332].jpg
Views:	71
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	24126   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6912[6336].jpg
Views:	71
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	24127  

Name:	IMG_6915[6338].jpg
Views:	68
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	24128   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6917[6334].jpg
Views:	62
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	24129  

Old 06-08-2020, 04:24 AM   #33

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post
It was easy on my Quantum GR22.

I installed on a GR22. So much better worth every penny
Old 06-08-2020, 11:29 AM   #34
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyjimmy View Post
Sumo springs on a Outlaw29h.
If this is a question...

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1591615757
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HELL-YEAH 2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	24130  
Old 07-13-2020, 02:26 AM   #35

State: Colorado
THOR #12345
I just installed the black front Sumo Springs on my 32 foot 2017 Thor Chateau 31W.

Primarily bought these to reduce the buffeting and loss of control caused by semi's and other large vehicles as well as crosswinds. I just white knuckled my coach across South Dakota, Wyoming, and part of Colorado for over 10 hours during high winds...I finally decided enough was enough.

My goal was to make suspension upgrades that give me the most bang for the buck that are relatively quick and easy to install.

So far I am impressed. I drove briefly on the highway during some high winds and I felt a lot more control.

In particular I was impressed with the low speed handling, much of the excessive roll when making left or right turns is gone and the porpoising and side to side sway is greatly reduced.

I was so impressed that I wanted to add the rears...but they cost around $600.00 for the pair...ouch!!!

Instead, I ordered some rear Bilstein shocks (just over $200.00 for the pair) and a $120.00 Bilstein steering dampener. When it is all said and done I will have made some fairly significant suspension upgrades for a relatively low total $500.00 in parts (Front Sumo Springs, rear Bilstein shocks, and Bilstein steering dampener!!! I am going to do all of the work myself.

The cost for the Sumo Springs is in the same ballpark as two front Bilstein shocks (I paid $185.00 for them from Amazon) ...but seriously...if you install them I really do not believe you need to get a front sway bar or upgrade the front shocks. Plus, they are soooo easy to install if you have front jacks...it took me around 30 minutes.

Looking forward to seeing how adding the rear Bilstein shocks as well as the Bilstein steering dampener continues to help how the coach handles.

I may eventually add a Heilwig rear sway bar...but I am already so impressed with how well my coach drives after only adding the front Sumo Springs I really do not think I will want to do anything else.

I will post an update after I add the other parts and take my coach on our next 4 day trip to Glenwood Springs and back.