Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2017, 07:18 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky220 View Post
In general the surge protector is a must portable or perminante. Also it was the thor dealer that advised to place the unit after the transfer switch
That explains it!

Old 07-17-2017, 08:26 PM   #22

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
If you don't have one, GET ONE, either hard wired or portable. Mine is portable & been using it, unlocked, for 9 years (actually the second one, 1st fried) & never had a problem with it walking off & have stayed in some pretty seedy parks.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:24 PM   #23

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #3609
Surge Guard

So...stayed at a buddy's this weekend and said he had 30 amp hook up... turns out it was a 220 for a dryer! Used the SURGE GUARD model 10176. Well, Microwave oven got fried and I guess am lucky nothing else was damaged.
Just wondering why the surge protector did not shut the current down to the Axis.
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:34 PM   #24

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I would can the manufacturer and ask them why it didn't stop the 220, might be something everyone needs to know for future reference.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:51 PM   #25

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
So...stayed at a buddy's this weekend and said he had 30 amp hook up... turns out it was a 220 for a dryer! Used the SURGE GUARD model 10176. Well, Microwave oven got fried and I guess am lucky nothing else was damaged.
Just wondering why the surge protector did not shut the current down to the Axis.
A surge protector looks for "surges" in the line. Meaning a sudden jump. If you managed to plug it into a 220V line there is no surge.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:56 PM   #26

Model: 31e Four Winds
State: Delaware
THOR #7159
I was reading about that model. Doesn't it guard against low voltage only? Believe another product is needed to guard against high voltage. The term " Surge Guard" is miss leading.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:00 AM   #27

THOR #1765
That's a good question. The surge guard 10176 is just rated for 120v, 30 amp and I don't think it's designed to protect from plugging into 220v. I don't know how you could do that without changing the plug. The 220 dryer plug is three blades.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:09 AM   #28

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Won't the result of plugging a 120VAC surge protector into a 220VAC line end in the same result as plugging a 110 V appliance in a 220 V line? Isn't the amount of current directly proportional to the voltage (l=E/R)? Double the voltage your going to double the current with the same resistance.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:10 AM   #29

THOR #1765
The Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C Portable EMS RV Surge Protector - 30 Amp, that I have does have protection for accidently hooking into 240v. It has a two minute diagnosis that it goes thru to check the voltage and amperage before it goes green and allow you to hook up your RV.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:45 AM   #30

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
There are a couple of different "classes" of products here....
The progressive industries unit is much more than a surge suppressor.
It monitors and protects against lots of things
a surge - which is a spike in voltage
a drop in voltage
reverse polarity
bad grounds
open neutrals
etc....

Some of these devices are only surge suppressors. Maybe that's what the Surge Guard is.

And just for point of discussion.... there is a third class of product. The buck/boost transformer, such as the Hughes Autoformer. This thing increases the voltage when it dips...something that the Progressive Industries product only detects and shuts off.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:52 AM   #31

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
A surge protector looks for "surges" in the line. Meaning a sudden jump. If you managed to plug it into a 220V line there is no surge.
Surge protectors like the Progressive also look at voltage and open ground, that's why there is a delay before it connects and allows current through.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:18 AM   #32

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
I hard wired mine after the transfer switch. I would think hardwiring before the switch on the shore power side would not protect you when on the generator. My display shows amp, volts, hz and errors on both generator and shore power.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:55 PM   #33

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
a drop in voltage
reverse polarity
bad grounds
open neutrals
etc....

Some of these devices are only surge suppressors. Maybe that's what the Surge Guard is.

And just for point of discussion.... there is a third class of product. The buck/boost transformer, such as the Hughes Autoformer. This thing increases the voltage when it dips...something that the Progressive Industries product only detects and shuts off.
The progressive protects against higher voltage as well as voltage drop. They are not cheap in the short run... but in the long run ...
Old 07-18-2017, 01:39 PM   #34

State: Ontario
THOR #971
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewadsworth View Post
I have a 2017 Thor Windsport 29m. Looking for a suggestion on what I should purchase for a surge protector. It's a 30 amp.
Here are the installation instructions for surge guard as you can see they can be installed after the transfer switch as per the manufacture

http://www.campingworld.com/includes...al%2069522.pdf
Old 07-18-2017, 04:07 PM   #35
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
a drop in voltage
reverse polarity
bad grounds
open neutrals
etc....

SurgeGuard seems to do all the above... It is more than just a surge suppressor... They've also added heat detection for an overheating outlet in newest models.
I've used it for years on both rigs with no issues (aside from it saving me from issues in campgrounds!!)
Surge Guard 50A Portable with LCD Display | Technology Research, LLC

(no connection to the product other than a happy user...)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:29 PM   #36
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I also like the portable surge guard. It gives me the ability to check the pedestal before plugging in the coach. I have found 2 bad pedestals in the last 2 years. One had a neutral ground and the other had reversed polarity. In one case we changed sites and in the other the campground fixed the problem in about 30 minutes.

I like to know if there is a problem before plugging in the coach rather than after plugging in.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:49 PM   #37

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntherooad View Post
I hard wired mine after the transfer switch. I would think hardwiring before the switch on the shore power side would not protect you when on the generator. My display shows amp, volts, hz and errors on both generator and shore power.
The reasoning behind wiring before the transfer switch is that generators rarely cause problems. Also wiring before the transfer switch protects the transfer switch. I have mine wired after.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:01 PM   #38

Model: Miramar
State: Arkansas
THOR #5754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
The progressive protects against higher voltage as well as voltage drop. They are not cheap in the short run... but in the long run ...

Agreed...https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...e+guard+50+amp
Old 07-19-2017, 12:42 PM   #39
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
The reasoning behind wiring before the transfer switch is that generators rarely cause problems. Also wiring before the transfer switch protects the transfer switch. I have mine wired after.
Wired before the transfer switch also gives a way to have 110 power if the surge protector fails... Can start the genny.
I went with portable over hard wired in part so I could choose to not use it if the unit had an issue - without tearing apart the rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
The Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C Portable EMS RV Surge Protector - 30 Amp, that I have does have protection for accidently hooking into 240v. It has a two minute diagnosis that it goes thru to check the voltage and amperage before it goes green and allow you to hook up your RV.
Any with a delay will save the rig... that includes Progressive and Surge Guard... but I bet you will be replacing the surge protector...
Granted a difficult/unlikely thing to do - the only likely scenario is someone incorrectly wired an RV 110 30A outlet with 220... Anything else wouldn't physically plug in..
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:22 PM   #40

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Understand. I also like being able to monitor amps with the generator on and if there is a problem it will give you a code.