Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2019, 09:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Surge protector thoughts...

I ALWAYS used a basic surge protector in the past with inexpensive TTs. In our Class C I never could determine if the transfer switch offered surge protection as well. The class A we just got has transfer switch and an inverter. I understand there is surge protection built in, but the Surge Guard with PMS also provides over/under voltage and other things. It's sacrificial, so I assume it is still best to use this and stop the problem before it gets to any coach component. Better to replace that than work on the rig is my thought. Plus a double layer of protection. Shoot me your thoughts.

2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:32 PM   #2

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
I never used surge protectors with TT in the past, but bought one for our new class c after reading a lot of posts. Used it on our first trip and the information it gave me was reassuring.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:50 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Our new rig supposedly has one built-in...
But we're buying one of Progressive's smart ones, and will be hooking it up at the power pedestal.
Better safe: than sorry!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:55 PM   #4

THOR #11266
I currently use one for my 30 amp Class C. It's the Surge Guard model with EMS (smart technology). What I am wondering is with this new class A the transfer switch is also a surge protector. BUT...do I still need the surge/EMS on the pole to protect against low voltage and such that a basic surge protector does NOT do?
Old 04-17-2019, 01:04 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Surge Protector

I never used a surge protector on my Class B when I had it. When I bought my 2018 Thor Siesta Class C I decided to buy the Surge Guard to use at the pole everytime I hooked up. I read all of the posts and thought this was cheap insurance to protect my coach. We are leaving next week for a 6 week road trip from Calif to Florida stopping many places along the way. The Surge Guard with EMS was expensive but I would rather have it go then my only transportation while on the road away from home. I just make sure to secure it to the pole eveytime I use it with a cable and lock. There were many posts out there about incidents with high/low voltage at various camp sites.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:18 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
In installed the Surge Guard (30 amp version) on my Axis in January.

I was also concerned about HI and LOW voltage as well as any surges.

I think its worth while ..... plus now I dont have to mess with one at the power pole. I had the cheap $99 at the pole orginally so I was not too worryed about theft but in order to get full protection you spending over $200 so I rather have that one installed "inside" the RV.

Plus it will protect the RV when on the generator.

Easy to install but make sure (if your under your bed like mine) you put down some sound absorbing materal first then bolt to the top of that (I didnt take a picture of that).

These surge protectors hum a little (even with nothing on). Not noticable during the daytime but at night when all is quiet I could hear it and it dove me crazy. So I put down some leftover dynomat plus a self stick 1/4 thick rubber mat under the surge guard and that absorbed about half the noise so its not so bad now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5222.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	16719   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5228.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	16720  

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:35 PM   #7

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
I use the progressive ems and plug it in to the shore line pole first thing. It tells me if the if there is anything wrong with the shore power before I would connect to the rv. Yes, they are not cheap, but it's better than ruining your appliances or electrical system. It was reading about them on this website that I learned about them.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:41 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Florida
THOR #14384
I can not recommend progressive more. The customer service is spectacular, the warranty is forever, and its made in the USA.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:44 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If you think that they are expensive: try figuring out the cost of replacing all the electrical components, that you can burn out...
Old 04-17-2019, 06:02 PM   #10

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
If you think that they are expensive: try figuring out the cost of replacing all the electrical components, that you can burn out...
$200 + $150 + $65 + Labor + loss of use (16 weeks)… LOL

Another thing I think I should look into!
Old 04-18-2019, 09:39 PM   #11

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Alaska
THOR #6077
I've had two Progressive built in surges fail leaving me without shore power! Took them out and no use a dongle so if it fails I still have power available.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:46 PM   #12

THOR #11266
That was my thought. If my outside protector blows I have AGS, so all should be good.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:07 PM   #13

THOR #14384
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturescott49 View Post
I've had two Progressive built in surges fail leaving me without shore power! Took them out and no use a dongle so if it fails I still have power available.
Progressives have a non-electronic manual by-pass that should work even if the surge suppressor is blown.. However at the point my EMS is blown I am thinking I don't want to plug into your crappy pole any more.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:12 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by apr67 View Post
However at the point my EMS is blown I am thinking I don't want to plug into your crappy pole any more.
They say that the definition of sanity, is when you keep doing the same thing over and over: hoping for a different outcome.

Congratulations on being sane!
Old 04-18-2019, 10:18 PM   #15

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
In installed the Surge Guard (30 amp version) on my Axis in January.

I was also concerned about HI and LOW voltage as well as any surges.

I think its worth while ..... plus now I dont have to mess with one at the power pole. I had the cheap $99 at the pole orginally so I was not too worryed about theft but in order to get full protection you spending over $200 so I rather have that one installed "inside" the RV.

Plus it will protect the RV when on the generator.

Easy to install but make sure (if your under your bed like mine) you put down some sound absorbing materal first then bolt to the top of that (I didnt take a picture of that).

These surge protectors hum a little (even with nothing on). Not noticable during the daytime but at night when all is quiet I could hear it and it dove me crazy. So I put down some leftover dynomat plus a self stick 1/4 thick rubber mat under the surge guard and that absorbed about half the noise so its not so bad now.
So, did you install the SURGE PROTECTOR between the TRANSFER SWITCH and the BREAKER PANEL?
Old 04-18-2019, 10:56 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #14807
Surge-Guard (30 amp model)

I installed Surge-Guard's 30 amp model along with their remote monitor.
I cut the 120v main feed between the transfer switch and the main circuit breaker box figuring I'd have protection from shore power & generator.
The install was fairly straight forward but there is a couple of annoying quirks that I still have not gotten used to.

First, the unit has a 20 second delay from the time you apply power until the time it turns on. Then, it has another 127 second delay while it goes through some kind of analysis before actually turning on power to the coach.
If you purchase the remote display you can watch the seconds count down.
To make matters a bit more annoying, any time you lose power to the coach, you have to go through the same wait.
That initially doesn't seem like that much of a bother BUT I was using the coach last week & a storm came through & everything got a thorough soaking. This caused a "ground fault" somewhere, probably at the pedestal, and my power cut off. I had to reset the power numerous times before clearing the fault and I spent better than a half hour, total time, waiting on this unit to do its 2-1/2 minute count down. Let me remind you that each time I had to reset the power, I had to walk outside, at night, in the rain, to reset the pedestal circuit breaker.
The unit does claim to have an automatic built-in reset but apparently it doesn't try resetting with ground faults because it never did try to come back on until I removed power.
To those of you that have installed this same unit, Does this sound like proper operation?
Old 04-18-2019, 11:07 PM   #17

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor-Machine View Post
I installed Surge-Guard's 30 amp model along with their remote monitor.
I cut the 120v main feed between the transfer switch and the main circuit breaker box figuring I'd have protection from shore power & generator.
The install was fairly straight forward but there is a couple of annoying quirks that I still have not gotten used to.

First, the unit has a 20 second delay from the time you apply power until the time it turns on. Then, it has another 127 second delay while it goes through some kind of analysis before actually turning on power to the coach.
If you purchase the remote display you can watch the seconds count down.
To make matters a bit more annoying, any time you lose power to the coach, you have to go through the same wait.
That initially doesn't seem like that much of a bother BUT I was using the coach last week & a storm came through & everything got a thorough soaking. This caused a "ground fault" somewhere, probably at the pedestal, and my power cut off. I had to reset the power numerous times before clearing the fault and I spent better than a half hour, total time, waiting on this unit to do its 2-1/2 minute count down. Let me remind you that each time I had to reset the power, I had to walk outside, at night, in the rain, to reset the pedestal circuit breaker.
The unit does claim to have an automatic built-in reset but apparently it doesn't try resetting with ground faults because it never did try to come back on until I removed power.
To those of you that have installed this same unit, Does this sound like proper operation?
The purpose of the countdown is to protect your AC and give proper diagnostic time.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:04 AM   #18

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’ve been using the same Progression 30A pole mounted model for years without a problem. I did devise a chain lock that I can wrap around the post. I don’t usually bother locking it unless we will be away from camp a lot.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:30 AM   #19

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
I had mine before I had the coach. Been on the end of the shore power cord since April 2011. Cheap insurance either as a fuse for a lighting strike or other such powerlem but also to sense power problems and protect the coach. High/low volts, open ground or neutral, incorrectly wired and such.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #20

State: Michigan
THOR #6009
Here is an interesting article on Surge Protectors. https://www.rvtravel.com/surges-and-...nd-movs-oh-my/