Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2018, 08:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #10300
Suspension -- GVWR issue

We have a 2014 Thor ACE 29.2 on a Ford F53 190" wheel base chassis with a 16K GVWR. When fully loaded the vehicle exceeds 16K by about 100 - 200 pounds.

I am considering adding SumoSprings https://www.supersprings.com/products/sumosprings/ to address this issue as well as enhance ride quality. The problem is everywhere I research contains a statement to the effect that no such product can increase the original GVWR as determined by the manufacturer.

Ford's spec sheets for the 2014 F53 chassis's https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...9_SB_specs.pdf indicates the 16K and 18K are identical in every aspect except for the rear spring capacity (both of which are the same dimensions) and the frame height at the rear axle (31.6 for 16K and 30.8 for the 18K).

Additionally, I noted the only difference between a GMC 2500 and 3500 is that the 3500 has an additional helper spring pack (and possibly a different rear axle). I assume the same holds true for Fords.

Soooo, if the addition of helper springs increases the GVWR for heavy duty pickups, and the only difference in F53 16K and 18K is the rear spring pack; why wouldn't the same hold true for adding 2,600# helper springs (SumoSprings)???

Old 01-17-2018, 12:20 AM   #2

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Certainly a good thought path to make the weight handle better! Have you considered air bags? In cab 4 corner control is quite handy
Old 01-17-2018, 12:29 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
If you are trying to make the vehicle more capable of carrying the weight placed on it then upgrading the suspension with SumoSprings, air bags, helper leafs, etc will do that and make it handle better, but only the manufacturer can change or certify the GVWR.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:08 AM   #4

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
wieght

there are a lot more differences in 2500 and 3500 chevy chassis , it is just not made pubic info.

i would like to say see if you can reduce your load but it is pretty hard to do in a motor home, adding extra leaves to the spring pack are the best way to go, air bags hold the vehicle level, don't really increase load cap,

but then you have to look at tire load!!!! m.h usually do not have that much extra on std tires

sums are nice but more of a 2nd shock,
Old 01-17-2018, 03:14 AM   #5

THOR #10300
From what I read (advertising propaganda) the SumoSprings replicate air bags at less cost, maintenance, are more durable and easier to install.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:23 AM   #6

THOR #10300
Yeah, I suppose I could have DW ride in the TOAD???? Tires on 16K are same as 18K versions of the F53 chassis , so I don't think that would be a factor. I hear ya re the sumos acting like supplemental shocks, which is not a bad thing for ride quality; was hoping they would also act like helper springs????
Old 01-17-2018, 02:05 PM   #7
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcorry View Post
Yeah, I suppose I could have DW ride in the TOAD???? Tires on 16K are same as 18K versions of the F53 chassis , so I don't think that would be a factor. I hear ya re the sumos acting like supplemental shocks, which is not a bad thing for ride quality; was hoping they would also act like helper springs????
They do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoSprings
SumoSprings® are a patented suspension product designed to enhance load carrying ability, stabilize sway, and improve overall driver control and ride comfort. They are maintenance free, do not leak air, and do not require airlines or compressors. SumoSprings® are manufactured in a variety of heights, diameters and densities to support multiple front and rear applications. They are manufactured from proprietary closed micro-cellular urethane providing a smooth and progressive spring rate.
They actually do nothing to dampen motion which is the purpose of a shock. They slow compression motion due to their added resistance to compression, but actually increase rebound motion as they uncompress.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:17 PM   #8

THOR #10300
Thanks much Ted -- Is your 2017 29.1 on a 16K chassis as well? If so, do you encounter any weight/loading issues?
Old 01-17-2018, 02:24 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcorry View Post
Thanks much Ted -- Is your 2017 29.1 on a 16K chassis as well? If so, do you encounter any weight/loading issues?
2016 27.1 and yes it is on a 16K chassis but I have not experienced any weight/loading issues (yet?????). I am considering SumoSprings to help improve stability but I really don't have any issues with it driving so I'm not ready to shell out the bucks yet.