Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2019, 05:46 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Tell them that yo're feeling generous, and want to help with their fundraising... offer to let them do it for fifty bucks...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:50 PM   #22
Cpd

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
Quote:
Originally Posted by lal22 View Post
UPDATE: The detailer that I originally hired to fix the mess that "Spray & Forget" caused has disappeared off the face of the earth. I haven't been able to reach him by phone, text or email. So I started the process over of finding another detailer. Several got back to me with a quotes ranging from $800-$2500. I had to pay a deposit to the one I hired, which was $2.25 a mile for anything over 15 miles from their office, non- refundable. They travel all over Ohio & have been stood up too many times, so they now make you pay that part up front.

During my conversation with him I was educated on a few things. First, he has been in the business for many years & he states there are all sorts of "fly by night detailers". I told him I got the referral from a very large RV dealer in central Ohio. He said they use the cheapest person they can find & many times he has had to fix what they have done. Here today, gone tomorrow, no one to stand behind the work. I got the impression that I was lucky I didn't use the original detailer b/c this one told me he would never, ever spray an entire rig with a chemical stripper to remove the "Spray & Forget" product. He does it all by hand and the process can take from 4-8 times to remove it all. That is why he gives a price range for the job. They are always booked about a month in advance, so my appt is for 11/1. If the temp is lower than 40 degrees then they reschedule. He's said he does a lot of insurance claims made possible by people like me who use something off the shelf. He said it is 50/50 whether I have damaged the gel coat. If I have, then the entire rig will have to get repainted. He advised me to notify my insurance company about what has happened, but do not have then pay yet. Have them wait until he sees if he can remove everything & restore the finish. He also stated that when the time comes for the manufacturer of a product that has ruined a finish, most of them refuse to pay, saying that the exact method either during the application or removal wasn't followed. The consumer is left paying for everything. I hope and pray this manufacturer doesn't do this to me.

This whole thing is a nightmare. I still try to not look at the RV when I go outside because it makes me so upset over what has transpired. Nothing like having that huge RV in the driveway to remind you daily. Nothing else I can do at this point, just have to wait, see what can be accomplished by the detailer. I was strongly advised to leave it alone, don't try to remove it myself. I will NOT drive the RV anywhere until it is restored, too embarrassing.

I have learned my lesson and I just hope my message prevents someone else from repeating what I did. That's my story & I am sticking to it.
So sorry this happened to you. Thank you so much for sharing as you'll probably save many of us from the same fate.

Best of luck. Hope it works out.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:41 PM   #23

Model: Challenger
State: New Jersey
THOR #7108
So sorry! For future -

I don’t know if there is a one of us who hasn’t done something we regret with our rig! I could tell u some REALLY dumb stuff weve done over the years, smh. Meanwhile, though, if it were mine:
-I’d b out there trying small patches to see what works. Try to get it out of the sun while u r working on it OR work on the side that’s on the shade. Or, work on it in the morning just after sunup when the air/sun aren’t hot
-cover it so that junk doesn’t bake on, until your detailer arrives
-for future, we have learned to never wash our rig in the sun or past 9am because even with just dawn soap and water or simple green and water the rig dries faster than we can ever wash/hand dry . We wash one side at a time then dry it. One of us is always re-wetting the parts washed first so that we avoid as many water spots as poss. Once rinsed, and washed, then hand Dry immediately then move on to rinse/wash/dry the next side.
-sometimes after a long summer road trip the front windshield is so loaded with splattered bugs we can hardly see out of it. We have found that baking soda/water on our long handled wash brush then rinse well, then wash with mild soap and rinse again works wonders! I wonder if you might try a section with this method and see if it works for you. Might help I sleep better tonight knowing that the junk DOES come off.

Wishing u the best!!!
Old 10-05-2019, 07:42 PM   #24

THOR #7108
Great idea!!
Old 10-05-2019, 07:54 PM   #25

THOR #7108
high school car wash

earlier I meant to say
"great idea!" to BobDenman's idea
Old 10-05-2019, 07:54 PM   #26

Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Good luck, and perhaps you should buy a cover for the rig.
About a minute after I read this, I got an email from CW advertising a sale on RV covers.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:53 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
They ARE lurking... everywhere!

The Missus and I were kicking around the idea of picking up a small generator for when the power goes out...

...and I get an email from them saying theirs are up to 45% off right now...
Old 10-05-2019, 09:58 PM   #28

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Ohio
THOR #14952
Be afraid, be very afraid....
Old 10-05-2019, 09:59 PM   #29

THOR #14952
Thanks CBS and great suggestions Cinderella.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:03 PM   #30
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Be afraid, be very afraid....
After all of the years of the "Big Guy" watching: nothing scares me anymore!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1570312984
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	santa-watching.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	20674  
Old 10-06-2019, 05:38 AM   #31

State: California
THOR #16919
Sorry about your bad experience.
I’m sending positive energy your way in hopes that this will end up being a learning experience, albeit a very stressful one. My advice to everyone is that there is no legitimate wash and wax product for a vehicle the size of an RV. Especially not a legitimate product that would be offered at Walmart. I spent 30+ years shining fire engines and we kept them looking nice by rinsing and wiping them down every day. We soap washed them when necessary and we hand waxed them every few months. I am in the habit of doing that and it has worked well for me with our 36’ Class A. The problem for me now is that I don’t have a crew of firefighters to help me do it so I’m on my own. What works for me now is regular washing or just rinsing and drying to keep road grime and other dirt and bug poop off the rig. I’ll hand wax the entire RV at least a couple times a year with regular carnuba wax. Since waxing the entire Motorhome can be overwhelming one can make the task more manageable by sectioning off the Motorhome and doing a section at a time. The front and the front sides to behind the cockpit side windows is a good place to start since they are going to be exposed to dirt, bugs and whatever at highway speeds. The other benefit of waxing is it makes the cleanings easier. Anotger tip to help on the cleanings is to purchase an extendable widow cleaning pole with squeegee and brush to help with applying soap and removing rinse water while standing on the ground. You can follow up your squeegeeing with a chamois or towels draped over the squeegee attachment. Finally, if you’re into wash and wax then there are some good products that you can apply but they are the ones that you mix your solution in water, apply it to small areas with a micro fiber soaked in the solution, then immediately buff it out with a clean dry micro fiber. Bottom line is there is no quick and easy way to clean and wax an RV. This post was not intended to judge or cast blame. This post is intended to educate and assist.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:04 PM   #32

THOR #14952
Dilley Dilley, thanks for all the great suggestions. I am learning a lot from everyone. Live and Learn! Is my new motto
Old 10-06-2019, 04:07 PM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Dilley Dilley, thanks for all the great suggestions. I am learning a lot from everyone. Live and Learn! Is my new motto
I've got a picture for you...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1570378002
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dilly Dilly.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	20689  
Old 10-06-2019, 06:41 PM   #34

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
IF the culprit cleaner is a floor-wax-type of solution, ammonia, straight up will remove it. Now, I don't know for sure that ammonia won't also damage the finish on a RV... only letting you know what dissolves floor wax.
I do have to agree with the others that there is no short-cuts in cleaning and preserving the finish on your rig. The DH and I just took care of ours yesterday, and yes... we were the cause of last nights rain storm in east Tennessee.
We use a great wash and wax from Gel-Gloss, available at most all RV stores and even perhaps Walmart. We find that subsequent washings are so much easier, as the wax layer makes the bugs and grime just slide off... most times just by simply driving in rain. I like the scent of the wash and the thick, neon-colored solution makes a LOT of foam. One jug goes a very long way.
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:53 AM   #35

THOR #14952
Calico, thanks for the info about ammonia, didn't know it dissolves floor wax, will have to do further research on where you can use it.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:37 AM   #36

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
"No good deed goes unpunished"

Kudos for your effort and intent. My mom always says "no good deed goes unpunished"

I just read your horror. I hope it is resolved. If not I would suggest calling National Overspray. They are Nationwide.

https://nationwideoverspray.com/?gcl...oaAqFIEALw_wcB

I learned of them when my daughters car parked next to University of Arkansas bus top goyt paint over spray over the entire car. The workers were painting the bus stop shelter in high winds. They tried to clean it using wax and make it worse. The good news is they reported it and their insurance took care of and paid us like $2,000 grand. Then at the dealership they were wanting to repaint the entire car!!!! They told me only thing I may try was National Overspray. National Overspray quoted me $500 just by looking at the pictures. They came to my house 2 men and spent about 6 hours and it was a miracle. I don't know what they had in that solution but it worked. They had to do it all by hand so it was tough work. But that was paint. Your stuff should not be that hard but the longer you wait the worse it will be.

With that said, I could not find the product is called "Spray & Forget RV & Camper Cleaner"? Can you provide a link? Based on you pictures, what did the instructions say about rinsing it off? I wash cars and boats all the time. I use pressure washer to apply the soap on a dry surface, but it sits only a minute or two before I came back through with high pressure washer.

When you wish to wax; there is only two ways I trust, hand wax which I do by sections, or pay professional that knows how to work the buffers. Someone inexperience can ruin a paint job if they use buffers.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:20 AM   #37

THOR #14952
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Kudos for your effort and intent. My mom always says "no good deed goes unpunished"

I just read your horror. I hope it is resolved. If not I would suggest calling National Overspray. They are Nationwide.

https://nationwideoverspray.com/?gcl...oaAqFIEALw_wcB

I learned of them when my daughters car parked next to University of Arkansas bus top goyt paint over spray over the entire car. The workers were painting the bus stop shelter in high winds. They tried to clean it using wax and make it worse. The good news is they reported it and their insurance took care of and paid us like $2,000 grand. Then at the dealership they were wanting to repaint the entire car!!!! They told me only thing I may try was National Overspray. National Overspray quoted me $500 just by looking at the pictures. They came to my house 2 men and spent about 6 hours and it was a miracle. I don't know what they had in that solution but it worked. They had to do it all by hand so it was tough work. But that was paint. Your stuff should not be that hard but the longer you wait the worse it will be.

With that said, I could not find the product is called "Spray & Forget RV & Camper Cleaner"? Can you provide a link? Based on you pictures, what did the instructions say about rinsing it off? I wash cars and boats all the time. I use pressure washer to apply the soap on a dry surface, but it sits only a minute or two before I came back through with high pressure washer.

When you wish to wax; there is only two ways I trust, hand wax which I do by sections, or pay professional that knows how to work the buffers. Someone inexperience can ruin a paint job if they use buffers.
dkoldman, Thanks for the info on National Overspray. I agree on that old saying "no good deed goes unpunished". Yep, the intent was good, too bad it was one intention that I actually followed thru on!

I am attaching a pic of the product so that everyone can stay away from it. The instructions are to spray it on and leave it. It starts that to be sure you apply it when there is no rain in the forecast. We've have had a couple of storms since I applied it and it definitely doesn't look any better.

Tomorrow is a new day and I am going to reexamine my options. Of course my thinking is what got me in trouble the first time around. Dangerous neighborhood up there in my brain. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190927_163239.jpeg
Views:	186
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	20701Click image for larger version

Name:	20190927_163230.jpeg
Views:	164
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	20703
Old 10-07-2019, 12:37 PM   #38

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Thanks for the picture. Maybe it is good thing I can't find

Another angle for you.

...Since it was 32 oz bottle concentrated solution NOT requiring rinse

Have you tried to weigh the balance or measure the remaining ounces? I am sure you have not tried again. Somewhere the bottle of mfg should tell you how many oz per gallons or some similar ratio.

My guess is that the dispenser is defective. It may have extracted i.e. 10 times more of the concentrated solution than it should have which would have caused too much chemicals and not enough cleaner water to do some type of cleaning action within itself.

What is clear it is not your fault. If the company does not take care of your final expenses I would be surprised. Get it cleaned as soon as possible by any means necessary. The rest will fall in place i.e. when fixed and they do not resolve, if you bought it from big retailer, you can go to Wal Mart. I am sure they would want to see this story. You still have the pictures, dispenser and proof.

Thanks for sharing to the community.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:27 PM   #39

Model: four winds 31W
State: Virginia
THOR #9584
Send a message via Yahoo to caution
USe Dawn dish washing liquid. No spots, really clean. great for roof as well
Old 10-07-2019, 05:54 PM   #40
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It makes your roof clean enough to eat off of: doesn't it?