Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2019, 02:55 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Ohio
THOR #14952
Terrible Experience Today!

Today I attempted to wash and wax our ACE. I had bought something specifically for RVs and Campers. I read the directions very carefully, including checking the weather, because it was not supposed to get rained on for ar least 12 hours. You hook up the garden hose to the sprayer, turn it on and I proceeded to spray the entire rig. To my horror the cleaner dried on the rig and now it looks as though we dipped the entire rig in a bucket of milk and the milk dried in streaks and spots. I have included a few pics so you can all see my terrible mistake. It wouldn't come off with rinsing or rubbing with my hand. My beautiful ACE gelcoat ruined! I just started bawling. My DH came out about that time and you could not have picked his jaw off the ground with a forklift. I called the customer care number, couldnt get thru for like 45 min, my feeling of terror was escalating because I thought maybe it was a defunct company. I finally got thru to another division who promised to have someone call me. Another 30 min passed, no call and I was panicking since it is Friday and 4:30 was approaching. I got a call from the nicest, caring customer care person I have ever talked to. She request a bunch of info and had me send pics of the rig, bottle of cleaner and receipt. She stated that the company will pay for a detailer to come to my house and detail the entire rig. She asked that i contact someone in our area and set it up. They have a specific detailing procedure they want done, pics sent by the detailer before/after they finish the job. It was then I was able to breathe half normally. I do not want to name the product at this time. Only after everything is detailed and done as to not jeopardize my position getting it cleaned up.

I am sharing at this time because I have HINDSIGHT.... DO NOT USE ANY THING ON THE FINISH OF YOUR RV UNLESS YOU TEST IT FIRST IN AN INCONSPICUOUS SPOT!!!!! I am heartbroken I did something so damn foolish and fear it will never be the same even with a detailing job. I am praying it will look beautiful again. My DH wants to kill me, but has somehow restrained himself. I can't even go outside and look in the direction of the rig without crying. See for yourself in the pics I have posted. What a horrible lesson to learn. If I had bought a car wash/wax product I wouldn't think about testing it first....... but RV is a different animal altogether. Live and Learn (the hard way today for me). This too shall pass, but not for a while. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190927_160451.jpeg
Views:	570
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	20530Click image for larger version

Name:	20190927_160424.jpeg
Views:	571
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	20531Click image for larger version

Name:	20190927_161055.jpeg
Views:	476
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	20532

Old 09-28-2019, 04:00 AM   #2

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #3109
Sorry to hear of your experience. I think that if the company follows thru with the detailer, it will all be ok. Would be interesting to know what went wrong...please keep us up on the results.
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Your experience is definitely an eye-opener!
Please let us know how things look after they have your RV detailed. Good luck!
Old 09-28-2019, 03:03 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
What a bummer. Best guess is if the "Detailer" uses ammonia to remove it, it was probably another one of those wonder products having floor wax as the prime ingredient. Once it is over, please post the name of the product.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 05:05 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
What a bummer. Best guess is if the "Detailer" uses ammonia to remove it, it was probably another one of those wonder products having floor wax as the prime ingredient. Once it is over, please post the name of the product.
That would be a useful piece of information...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:07 PM   #6

THOR #14952
Update: I j just got off the phone with a detailer. He said that I will be the 5th person that he has removed this product from RVs in my area. He has a complete process he does from stripping the roof, then applying ?Dicore? sp?, then he puts on a chemical strip, then a paint seal. He said all of the "Spray & Forget RV & Camper Cleaner" product comes off and the RVs look great after he is done. He can fit me in his schedule next week. I bought this product in June, from Walmart, and figured I better get the rig waxed before it gets cold. This product is sold at a bunch of different stores. Thank God it appears this can be fixed and I didn't ruin the finish! Thanks for all your comments, I will post some after pics once the detailing is done. I wont feel right until it looks beautiful again.[emoji37][emoji24]
Old 09-29-2019, 02:48 PM   #7

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Wow! I'm sick for you! I am continually reading about finishes that promise FANTASTIC results. Don't kick yourself too badly, you were only trying to be proactive in keeping your rig beautiful. The detailer sounds like a good one, so it should turn out just fine.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:02 PM   #8

THOR #14952
99dart, I am full of hope! Just can't look at it until then.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:04 PM   #9

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Dang! I'd have been heartsick. Sounds like a lousy product, but at least they are picking up the tab for the remedy.

Be sure to post some "after" photos after the detailer works his magic. I'm also curious what the detailer's charge is for the job.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:30 AM   #10

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Maryland
THOR #6722
Sorry you had that horrible experience. Good luck with the detailer.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:58 AM   #11

THOR #14952
Popfla, detailer told me $450. I think that is too cheap!

HarleypyschRN, thanks for the message. I just retired, was a RN. Well, I guess once you've been an RN, you always are one in your heart.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:00 AM   #12

THOR #14952
OOPS, spelled psych wrong [emoji15]
Old 10-05-2019, 05:56 AM   #13

THOR #14952
UPDATE: The detailer that I originally hired to fix the mess that "Spray & Forget" caused has disappeared off the face of the earth. I haven't been able to reach him by phone, text or email. So I started the process over of finding another detailer. Several got back to me with a quotes ranging from $800-$2500. I had to pay a deposit to the one I hired, which was $2.25 a mile for anything over 15 miles from their office, non- refundable. They travel all over Ohio & have been stood up too many times, so they now make you pay that part up front.

During my conversation with him I was educated on a few things. First, he has been in the business for many years & he states there are all sorts of "fly by night detailers". I told him I got the referral from a very large RV dealer in central Ohio. He said they use the cheapest person they can find & many times he has had to fix what they have done. Here today, gone tomorrow, no one to stand behind the work. I got the impression that I was lucky I didn't use the original detailer b/c this one told me he would never, ever spray an entire rig with a chemical stripper to remove the "Spray & Forget" product. He does it all by hand and the process can take from 4-8 times to remove it all. That is why he gives a price range for the job. They are always booked about a month in advance, so my appt is for 11/1. If the temp is lower than 40 degrees then they reschedule. He's said he does a lot of insurance claims made possible by people like me who use something off the shelf. He said it is 50/50 whether I have damaged the gel coat. If I have, then the entire rig will have to get repainted. He advised me to notify my insurance company about what has happened, but do not have then pay yet. Have them wait until he sees if he can remove everything & restore the finish. He also stated that when the time comes for the manufacturer of a product that has ruined a finish, most of them refuse to pay, saying that the exact method either during the application or removal wasn't followed. The consumer is left paying for everything. I hope and pray this manufacturer doesn't do this to me.

This whole thing is a nightmare. I still try to not look at the RV when I go outside because it makes me so upset over what has transpired. Nothing like having that huge RV in the driveway to remind you daily. Nothing else I can do at this point, just have to wait, see what can be accomplished by the detailer. I was strongly advised to leave it alone, don't try to remove it myself. I will NOT drive the RV anywhere until it is restored, too embarrassing.

I have learned my lesson and I just hope my message prevents someone else from repeating what I did. That's my story & I am sticking to it.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:34 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Ouch again! :detailer m:
But this may have actually been a good thing for you...
The new detailer has pointed out some of the pitfalls that the first one may have exposed you to.
Good luck, and perhaps you should buy a cover for the rig. It'll at least allow you to not have to see this every day...
Old 10-05-2019, 01:56 PM   #15

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Sorry to hear about your rig. Please keep us advised as to the outcome and let us know the product when you deem it is appropriate.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:14 PM   #16

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
First time I have read your post. From your photos it appears that you have full body paint? If that's the case then there should be no 'gel-coat' damage. On my previous MH which was not painted, I used a similar product by McKee. The product worked as proclaimed and made some improvement, though not what I had hoped for. (I only applied it in a test area) There was no gelcoat damage. In fact the product smelled and acted like floor wax. My guess is that this stuff is pretty much the same and I don't think that it should have been applied to a painted surface. I am not sure what could be used to break down floor wax, but I would look into it and maybe try it on an inconspicuious area to see if it is effective and doesn't damage the paint. Maybe Johnson's Floor Wax has an solution on their website. Another product that seems to have similar characteristics is Paver Sealers. They apply it directly to the pavers and it leaves the surface somewhat glossy. They also have removal agents, but the question again will be the effect on paint. I am truly sorry for your troublee and, believe me, I think that we have all experienced problems of similar magnitude on our rigs. Please keep us updated.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:54 PM   #17

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
If it was my rig I would try a couple of small spots (hidden) to see if Rubbing Alcohol or a "Cleaner wax" will remove it okay. Or perhaps some deluded simple green or a mild cleaner?

That way at least you know now that once the detail job is done your rig will be fine. (Peace of mind).

I have a strong feeling its NOT perminate damage. I will just take a ton of elbow grease to remove it.

Let us know how it turns out.

This is very scary.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 04:19 PM   #18

THOR #14952
Bob, yes, in hindsight getting a new detailer may have saved the rig from some permanent damage. HA! I do have a cover! Totally forgot about it. Out of sight out of mind heh? I think I just might take it to a storage space I just rented until it is time for the detailer appt.

MJC62, the product is called "Spray & Forget RV & Camper Cleaner"

Ford1, yes, it has full body paint. I def an leaving toward the idea that it is done type of floor wax based on a couple of areas I wiped down this morning. It will def take a TON of elbow grease to do the entire rig.

Long & Winding road, good suggestion on cleaning a small area, did it this morning and I have renewed hope that all will be good.

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words and suggestions.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:32 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
About this time of year; there should be some sort of School sports team somewhere that is hosting a Car Wash...
If they advertise that they'll wash your car for ten bucks: there's your elbow grease!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 05:30 PM   #20

THOR #14952
Wouldn't they freak out if I pulled in?!![emoji2962]