Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2018, 06:54 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #6206
Thinking of purchasing 2019 Jeep Cherokee trail hawk elite

We’re thinking seriously of buying a vehicle to tow 4 down as we prep to head south hopefully around the end of the year. The Jeep Cherokee trailhawk elite 4,200 lbs is our choice of interest. I followed on this site others who have towed that weight or more.
Any thoughts?

Old 12-12-2018, 01:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Hope you get the 4X4 with 2 speed power transfer unit if you want to flat tow.
What will you be towing it with?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:56 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
without knowing your coach or it's GVWR and GVCWR, we'll just be guessing...
Old 12-13-2018, 11:31 PM   #4

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Maryland
THOR #6722
Models prior to 2019 have an issue that has been dubbed "Cherokee death wobble" from lack to power going to the electronic steering system, when being towed. We purchased a used 2016 and had the dealer add the electronic kit (which is a fix), which supplied power to the system when it is off. We bought the part for about $150 and they supplied the shop time (roughly 6 hours from what I hear). We have the Trailhawk edition and although we haven't used it off road yet, love the vehicle so far. Not all Cherokees seem to be effected by this issue and I understand the problem was eliminated from the 2019 model. We just did want to chance it and negotiated installation into the deal when buying.

I spoke to customer service reps from Thor and they assured me that the tow capacity is 8,000 pounds. But you have to factor in the weight of the RV and the tow vehicle so that it does not exceed the total gross vehicle weight. So that 8,000 pound number is a bit deceiving as it's not the only factor to consider.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:33 AM   #5

State: Oregon
THOR #6206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Hope you get the 4X4 with 2 speed power transfer unit if you want to flat tow.

What will you be towing it with?

I will be towing with our 2017 Vegas 25.2.
I thought I mentioned it in my topic?
Old 12-14-2018, 09:11 PM   #6

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
i have a 2017 cherokee trail hawk and i tow behind a Axis 25-2.really like the trailhawk with all the options. can't tell its there.had it for a year and enjoy driving it.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:12 AM   #7

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Maryland
THOR #6722
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigwelder View Post
i have a 2017 cherokee trail hawk and i tow behind a Axis 25-2.really like the trailhawk with all the options. can't tell its there.had it for a year and enjoy driving it.
Good to hear. Can I asked what tow set up you have?
Old 12-15-2018, 01:16 AM   #8

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
Blue ox Avail tow bar,patriot 2 brake controller..blue ox tail light wiring and base plate.12 volt to jeep from MH plug to Jeep plug.took me 2 days working a few hrs each day and i also have a lift so it makes it alot easier.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:36 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
State: Massachusetts
THOR #13984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricker View Post
We’re thinking seriously of buying a vehicle to tow 4 down as we prep to head south hopefully around the end of the year. The Jeep Cherokee trailhawk elite 4,200 lbs is our choice of interest. I followed on this site others who have towed that weight or more.
Any thoughts?
I have a 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk and frequently tow 3000+ with no issues. I almost have to remember the load is there.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:40 PM   #10

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricker View Post
Any thoughts?
We tow a 2017 Trailhawk behind our ACE 30.1 using Roadmaster baseplates and a Falcon All Terrain tow bar and an RViBrake 3 braking system. The Jeep follows behind quite happily. No problems so far, but we switched from dolly towing a Mini Cooper S to the Jeep just last season. We got in around 1000 miles of towing the Jeep this year.

We do a lot of mountain driving and we don't notice a big difference between towing the Mini and its dolly and towing the Jeep. The ACE makes it over the high passes (like Monarch Pass at 11,400 ft) like it did before - slow and steady with the engine revving in the 4000's. Downhill the Tow Haul mode kicks in and we don't have to use the brakes a lot.

We needed to install the flat tow cable on our Trailhawk. This cable keeps the power steering powered so you don't get the death wobble. However, it's my understanding that starting with the 2019 Trailhawks, Jeep has integrated the function of the flat tow cable and you don't need to install a separate one. However, as the power steering is powered up during towing, you will need to add a battery charger that is powered from the coach. We use the $50 RVi charger.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote