Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2020, 08:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: New Hampshire
THOR #16986
Thor 24.1 amp usage ?

Is there a list out there that shows how many amps the stuff in the RV uses ? How much does the fridge pull ? The water heater ? The TV sets ? Coffee pot ? Hair dryer ? Microwave ? Etc ... thanks, I realize that It’s best to know what uses what ... thank you !

Old 01-07-2020, 08:41 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
There is such a list that I found taped to the inside of a kitchen cabinet door in our unit; which I presume the previous owner found somewhere. I'll see if I can get a picture of it later this afternoon. I do not vouch for it's accuracy - it's probably a generic average for various appliances. Your mileage may vary.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:12 PM   #3

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
Here ya go! Again, these are averages, older models probably - but will at least give you a ball park estimate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amps.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	22116  
Old 01-07-2020, 09:32 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
That's a pretty neat list: thanks!
Old 01-07-2020, 09:42 PM   #5

THOR #16986
Excellent list ! Thank you... I will be much more careful from now on !
Old 01-07-2020, 11:08 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
After I installed my volt/ammeter I measured all the "high current" stuff and it all drew 12 amps! LOL (A/C steady state, hair dryer, microwave, water heater on 120V, induction stove, etc.).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:33 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Realize that DC amps are 10 times the AC amps.

So if your furnace is pulling 10 DC amps that would equate to only 1 AC amp out of your 30 AC amps available.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:07 AM   #8

THOR #16986
I learned a lot from this last power outage. Great people on this forum and great people available at Disney Fort Wilderness. Free counseling on sight so mistakes aren’t made again. Just FYI.. taking off the surge protector is never a good idea. Secondly, hooking your 50 to 30 amp should only be used in an emergency and if that happens know what your using or you can burn your 30 amp wire. Your surge protector doesn’t protect you for that. I am much smarter today than I was yesterday. Thanks for many experienced peoples responses and the journeyman at Disney Fort Wildnerness.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:36 PM   #9

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueTac View Post
I learned a lot from this last power outage. Great people on this forum and great people available at Disney Fort Wilderness. Free counseling on sight so mistakes aren’t made again. Just FYI.. taking off the surge protector is never a good idea. Secondly, hooking your 50 to 30 amp should only be used in an emergency and if that happens know what your using or you can burn your 30 amp wire. Your surge protector doesn’t protect you for that. I am much smarter today than I was yesterday. Thanks for many experienced peoples responses and the journeyman at Disney Fort Wildnerness.
No Sue, you still don't have it. If you have 50 amp cord and plug into a 30 amp outlet, using a dog bone, that means you are protected by the 30 amp shore power breaker. A 50 amp RV does not have a 30 amp wire to burn up.! People plug 50 into 30 all the time with no issues using a dog bone adapter. 50 amp cord has #6 wire good for 50 amps.

Many people plug their 30 amp RV's into 50 amp services DELIBERATELY because the 30 amp outlets are very much used and worn out and provide for a LOOSE connection.

If a person has a 30 amp service in the RV, they can plug into a 50 amp outlet, using a dog bone, with no problems because the would be protected by the 30 amp main breaker in the RV. You can not pull more than 30 amps. 30 amp cord has #10 wire good for 30 amps.

LOTS of people go thru their camping lifetime NEVER having used a surge protector.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:15 PM   #10
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Many people plug their 30 amp RV's into 50 amp services DELIBERATELY because the 30 amp outlets are very much used and worn out and provide for a LOOSE connection.

If a person has a 30 amp service in the RV, they can plug into a 50 amp outlet, using a dog bone, with no problems because the would be protected by the 30 amp main breaker in the RV. You can not pull more than 30 amps. 30 amp cord has #10 wire good for 30 amps.
Yes many people do - and the risk is minimal... But a problem between the pedestal breaker and the RV breaker could subject the main cord and transfer switch to a 50A load before tripping.
Anything downstream of the RV 30A breaker is protected against any draw over 30A.

Much higher risk that something loosens and causes heat without tripping a breaker - that can happen whether plugged in to 30A or 50A service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
LOTS of people go thru their camping lifetime NEVER having used a surge protector.
True - and feel free of course - its a personal choice.
I use whole house surge suppression device in sticks and bricks home - and in RV... and both have saved me based on damage neighbors saw...
I watched/heard my whole house surge suppressor give its life to a power surge coming out of a blackout... I replaced a surge suppressor; neighbors replaced electronics and appliances...
I've had at least two issues I know of where I believe the surge suppressor in my RV saved me... Once again neighbors had damage from a surge event and I was fine... And another case where the surge guard cut off my power for low voltage, and we found a bad breaker in campgrounds main distribution panel.
Make your choice based on what you are comfortable with.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:20 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueTac View Post
I'd love to hear more about your Fort Wilderness experience... The Missus and I are heading down there at the beginning o September...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:49 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by PictureTheSouth View Post
Here ya go! Again, these are averages, older models probably - but will at least give you a ball park estimate.

Remember in a perfect world with no efficiency loss in the converter divide the 12DC amps by 10 to get equivalent draw on the AC side. IE with a 12 amp DC load it would draw 1.2 amps on the 120Volt AC side