Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2018, 10:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Thor ACE toilet clog...revisited 2018

I have read the past comments about the toilet clogs....some going back to 2015. We have a new 2017 ACE 27.2 that of course, has the same problem. Have there been any new ideas, solutions or anything since ti doesn't seem the Thor is doing much to solve this, hopefully owners might be better thinkers than the Thor engineers?????

I have tried differnt paper....some help.....more water....some help.....plunber......solves it every time but you know, it's called waste for a reason and once it's outta me, I don't want to deal with it anymore. I have tried a manual leveling where the front is up just a little to get gravity working for us. The problem is better than it was but anyone find the solution to this crappy problem?

Old 06-07-2018, 10:32 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
So what exactly is your problem. You can't say it's an ACE problem going back to 2015 because your floorplan didn't exist in 2015, and there are many different ACE floorplans.

A lot of problems are caused by a "poop volcano" because the toilet is positioned over the shallow end of the black tank.

Luckily, our toilet is positioned over a standard black tank that has no shallow area and we have no "clogging" issues.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:31 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
THOR #9721
We have a similar issue. I just make sure and tell the family to start and finish with a lot of water if they are dropping a deuce. They need enough to float the boat.

Also, when I dump the black tank, I refill it completely with fresh water 1-2 times afterwards to get it as clean as I can. On the ACE you did have this feature as well, try doing that as an extra step in the maintenance of flushing your black tank.

Use a flashlight to look down the toilet and fill up a few bowls full of water to drop it down as you are filling it up. This will help big time.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:35 PM   #4

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
So what exactly is your problem. You can't say it's an ACE problem going back to 2015 because your floorplan didn't exist in 2015, and there are many different ACE floorplans.

A lot of problems are caused by a "poop volcano" because the toilet is positioned over the shallow end of the black tank.

Luckily, our toilet is positioned over a standard black tank that has no shallow area and we have no "clogging" issues.
Well, actually he can say that because it has been a problem with any of the Ace's with the curb side toilets. It was a poor design.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:50 PM   #5

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
It sounds like someone found a "poop volcano" in their Wheaties this morning.
Our WS31 has a quick elbow about a foot below the bowl opening. We had the bad luck of discovering the problem in the middle of the night when our 16 yr old G-daughter had the toilet belch back on her bare bum! Let's just say she didn't use the MH toilet the rest of the trip! So, now we use lotsa' water and have a coat hanger to push any TP dams on down the tube. My wife isn't very happy about the problem, but not much can be done to remedy the issue.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:51 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
Well, actually he can say that because it has been a problem with any of the Ace's with the curb side toilets. It was a poor design.
Again; it's not an ACE problem if it only effects ACEs with curb side toilets. I think you'll find there are other model lines that aren't ACEs with curb side toilets that have the same problem.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:31 AM   #7

THOR #9033
The problem is the same I've read from post over the years....1 seems to go down but as soon as there's paper involved, no matter how much "other" stuff goes down...a little or a lot, there can be a clog. You run the flush and it goes down to a point where the water starts to fill back into the down pipe. I know it doesn't go straight down because I see an elbow down there.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:33 AM   #8

THOR #9033
Thanks. SOunds like it worked for you. The clog is happening somewhere in the line to the holding tank. ONce the blockage is gone, the water runs right down until the next time. Doesn't happen all the time but you can almost count on it once every day or so.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:35 AM   #9

THOR #9033
I'm not saying it is or isn't a Thor problem....I'm not looking so much to place blame as I am to have the problem of the clog solved.....ACE or no ACE.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:37 AM   #10

THOR #9033
It's not so much the burp or the volcano as it is a clog that will back up the water in the down tube. I won't get a burp until I start the plunger...assuming I have to go that way.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:11 AM   #11

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Again; it's not an ACE problem if it only effects ACEs with curb side toilets. I think you'll find there are other model lines that aren't ACEs with curb side toilets that have the same problem.
Yes you are right Ted, any curbside toilet is most likely an issue. I misread your statement.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:17 AM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I know this would be a potentially costly solution ($500 for the toilet + installation costs) but it could be a permanent solution: how about a Macerating replacement Toilet.

Edit: here is the manual for it (pdf).

Edit 2: Looking at the installation instructions above it looks like it would be an easy swap out of a standard toilet--you'd just have to find a 12V source somewhere for the electric motor.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:41 AM   #13
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
It's not so much the burp or the volcano as it is a clog that will back up the water in the down tube. I won't get a burp until I start the plunger...assuming I have to go that way.
Well most RV toilets don't have a downtube or pipe into the black tank, the toilet basically sits on top of the black tank.

I did help someone last year with a fifthwheel whose toilet used a downtube through a storage compartment down into the black tank. Seems that solids had formed a volcano directly below the tube causing a blockage right at the tube entrance into the tank. That may be your issue as well.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:46 AM   #14

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
I am wondering if you drop in black tank treatments each time after you have dumped your tank? In three years the only problem with our 2016 Ace 29.3 is the black tank fills too quickly and there are only two of us.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:35 PM   #15

State: Alaska
THOR #7567
Quote:

Your lucky
Old 06-15-2018, 05:00 PM   #16

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:

Actually, the did have a 2015 A.C.E. I almost bought one.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:49 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Thetford has a new product out: the "Tank Blaster".
They discuss it a bit in the July, 2018 issue of "Motorhome" magazine.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:28 PM   #18

THOR #9033
Generally, this is not a tank problem but a "route-to-the-tank" problem. THere is no problem in draining the tank or anything like that....the clog occurs before the crap..literally gets to the tank. The solution I found...or at least the improvement is simple...flush the crap first.....then the paper you use afterwards needs to sit in about half a bowl....not tank but the commode bowl for 10-15 minutes. Gives it a chance to break down and then flush....we haven't had a problem since going with this. It's just common sense when you look at it but it's something that seems to solve an problems with clogging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
I am wondering if you drop in black tank treatments each time after you have dumped your tank? In three years the only problem with our 2016 Ace 29.3 is the black tank fills too quickly and there are only two of us.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:32 PM   #19

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by svt cobra View Post
Your lucky
I don't know exactly where this line of thinking began but I was not trying to "blame" ACE for this....I don't care who's to blame....I was looking for a solution. I only brought up the fact that if ACE knew of this problem and didn't solve it but remanufactured this problem into every unit it produced, then it IS their problem. I bring this up only after it appeared to some (one) that I was trying to asses blame. Don't give a good sewer clog about who's to blame...I was looking for a solution to a problem that seems to be very familiar to a lot of ACE owners.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:31 AM   #20

Model: Palazzo
State: Wisconsin
THOR #11270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
I don't know exactly where this line of thinking began but I was not trying to "blame" ACE for this....I don't care who's to blame....I was looking for a solution. I only brought up the fact that if ACE knew of this problem and didn't solve it but remanufactured this problem into every unit it produced, then it IS their problem. I bring this up only after it appeared to some (one) that I was trying to asses blame. Don't give a good sewer clog about who's to blame...I was looking for a solution to a problem that seems to be very familiar to a lot of ACE owners.

Just gonna throw my 2¢ worth in. In our 2015 Palazzo, the curb-side toilet backed up twice on our last trip, similarly to the discussion here. Had to use a broom handle to clear it both times. I like the suggestion made about flushing the solids first, then letting the paper sit in the bowl awhile before flushing it. We'll try that next.

J