Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2020, 11:21 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo21793 View Post
Would I be able to use a
Honda EU2000i generator to run the 1 air conditioner?
If I only use 1 appliance at a time? Attachment 22083
I used two EU2000i gens in parallel to power our old travel trailer with one A/C. Turning the microwave with the A/c and coffee maker running would overload the gennies.

Old 01-11-2020, 11:47 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_340 View Post
I am just wondering why wouldn't you use the on-board generator? Seems to me s an unnecessary expense to buy another generator and the soft start up kit others mentioned.

I’m curious also. A Honda may save a little gas and be a little quieter, but it’s not as convenient as a built-in generator with 55-gallon fuel tank. There may be other good reasons though. Also curious what’s driving change. I know on 24.1 floorplan having generator under bed is less than ideal. The vibration and noise would affect my sleep.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:50 AM   #23

State: California
THOR #16214
Nope. Won't work.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:00 AM   #24

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Barber View Post
Our 2016 Axis 24.3 onboard Onan 4k overheats and shuts down at times, our back-up EU200i powers the 13 5 btu ac just fine.
My ‘17-Vegas is listed with a 15,000 btu AC.
Regardless, it must be disappointing that your Onan generator is underperforming. Have you had the dealer check it out?
Old 01-12-2020, 02:31 AM   #25

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4064
I have done it. Start the fan first then the compressor. Worked fine. Leave the fan running all the time and the compressor will cycle.

Roger
Old 01-12-2020, 02:49 AM   #26

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I’m curious also. A Honda may save a little gas and be a little quieter, but it’s not as convenient as a built-in generator with 55-gallon fuel tank. There may be other good reasons though. Also curious what’s driving change. I know on 24.1 floorplan having generator under bed is less than ideal. The vibration and noise would affect my sleep.
If I owned a big DP (Palazzo, Venetian, Tuscany, others) with residential fridge...I might be inclined to carry a small Honda 2000 (like many of the big boys do) to keep the batteries charged & inverter running without starting the 8,000 diesel generator while boondocking.

But not for my 25’ Vegas. I’ll live without.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:43 AM   #27

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
If I owned a big DP (Palazzo, Venetian, Tuscany, others) with residential fridge...I might be inclined to carry a small Honda 2000 (like many of the big boys do) to keep the batteries charged & inverter running without starting the 8,000 diesel generator while boondocking.

The question was about powering the air conditioner, so for a DP with residential fridge, you’d need a fairly large generator to power the DP’s one or two A/Cs anyway. While powering the A/Cs the generator would also power the refrigerator and keep batteries topped off.

I suppose that in mild or cooler weather when A/C is not needed, a smaller generator could come in handy, but I personally wouldn’t bother with one. The diesel inverter generators are very efficient, and most Diesel Pushers have high-capacity battery banks and converter/chargers. If not running air conditioners, I’d expect the motorhome’s generator wouldn’t need to run very long daily just to power a residential fridge (many require about 2 kWh daily). Getting a little off topic though.

P.S. — What I like least about portable generators is having to fuel them, and the Honda 2000 has a small tank, so would need fueling often when powering an air conditioner, or a fuel system with larger tank.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:55 AM   #28

THOR #16214
If the 4k generator overheats, then shuts down, then the oil is hot enough to signal no oil pressure. Use a good 30 weight oil and fresh filter. A mouse may have packed the cooling fins with insulation like one did on my generator. I pulled it and cleaned a bunch of junk that had been packed in there.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:18 AM   #29
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Pont View Post
If the 4k generator overheats, then shuts down, then the oil is hot enough to signal no oil pressure. Use a good 30 weight oil and fresh filter. A mouse may have packed the cooling fins with insulation like one did on my generator. I pulled it and cleaned a bunch of junk that had been packed in there.
I believe the 4K Onans are splash lubricated so no oil pump, no oil pressure, no oil filter, only an oil level sensor.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:32 AM   #30

Model: Chateau
State: Idaho
THOR #7541
Two Linked Generators!

Simple answer is: NO.

You need two linked 2000i generators.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:44 PM   #31

THOR #16178
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
That doesn't sound right. Changing the capacitance of the starting capacitor gives you more torque to start the motor. Changing the capacitance of the run capacitor changes the magnetic field angle of the auxiliary winding causing a stuttering rotating magnetic field.

In the SSP6 capacitor there is a relay that takes the hard start capacitor out of the circuit automatically.

Explanation from the Supco product data sheet.
A more convenient method for providing increased torque to the compressor is the 2-wire
potential relay hard start device. In this case, the device can add as much starting torque as a 3-wire hard start, but installation is made simpler and cost is usually lower.
Two wire hard start kits are connected in parallel with the run capacitor for
Permanent Split Capacitor (PSC) type compressors; and connected to the
Start and Run terminals on the compressor for Capacitor Start Induction
Run(CSIR) type compressors. There is no need for a third connection
to common wire.
The start relay has normally closed contacts, so when the compressor starts, both the run and start capacitors are connected to the start terminal. This causes a very high current to go through the start winding when power is first applied. This high start current increases
the starting torque of the compressor motor enough that the motor will start even though the refrigerant pressures haven’t equalized, or in an “under-voltage” condition.
Once the compressor begins running, the voltage across the start winding increases. This occurs because the motor acts partly like a generator and partly like a transformer. The start relay coil is connected in parallel with the start winding. When the voltage across the start winding increases above the pick-up rating on the start relay coil, the start relay contacts
open. The start capacitor is then out of the circuit.
2018 T@G Outback Teardrop (when the MH can't go)
br8945@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 02:48 PM   #32
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by br8945@gmail.com View Post
In the SSP6 capacitor there is a relay that takes the hard start capacitor out of the circuit automatically.

Explanation from the Supco product data sheet.
A more convenient method for providing increased torque to the compressor is the 2-wire
potential relay hard start device. In this case, the device can add as much starting torque as a 3-wire hard start, but installation is made simpler and cost is usually lower.
Two wire hard start kits are connected in parallel with the run capacitor for
Permanent Split Capacitor (PSC) type compressors; and connected to the
Start and Run terminals on the compressor for Capacitor Start Induction
Run(CSIR) type compressors. There is no need for a third connection
to common wire.
The start relay has normally closed contacts, so when the compressor starts, both the run and start capacitors are connected to the start terminal. This causes a very high current to go through the start winding when power is first applied. This high start current increases
the starting torque of the compressor motor enough that the motor will start even though the refrigerant pressures haven’t equalized, or in an “under-voltage” condition.
Once the compressor begins running, the voltage across the start winding increases. This occurs because the motor acts partly like a generator and partly like a transformer. The start relay coil is connected in parallel with the start winding. When the voltage across the start winding increases above the pick-up rating on the start relay coil, the start relay contacts
open. The start capacitor is then out of the circuit.
Got it! Thanks. I didn't realize the additional capacitor dropped out of the circuit after starting like the start capacitor.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:26 PM   #33
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Forgot I made a video.

Here is the current draw of our 13.5k A/C starting up after the EasyStart was installed; running from the generator: (this is the compressor starting after the fan is already running--fan is the initial 5 amps shown at the start of the video)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 03:05 PM   #34

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post

BINGO! This is the main convenience. We spend 10 days at Atlanta Motor Speedway...boondocking 100%. Makes no sense to run a 3 cylinder, 6000W Kubota diesel generator to keep batteries charges, make a pot of coffee, use a hair dryer for 2 minutes, run one A/C, etc. We use about 7 gallons of gas in 10 days. I parallel 2 Honda 2000's with the B.E.R.G.S. extended run fuel system and they run for days. I sometimes use a Champion 3400 in place of the Hondas but it doesn't offer an extended fuel feature because of the gravity feed fuel system. The Honda's have an actual fuel pump that pulls the fuel from the separate source.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:16 PM   #35

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #13282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Correction to my Thors model, its a 25.3
Regards,
BB
Old 01-19-2020, 04:57 PM   #36

THOR #2121
As mentioned in other thread, Onan is working on 2800 and 4000 Watt generators with inverter technology.

If I recall correctly (going from memory) he told us that the 2800 (coming out first) will run at three speeds between ~ 2,200 and 2,700 RPM, will be significantly quieter (<62 dB) and about 30% more fuel efficient. It’s still in final testing so nothing firm yet. I’m looking forward to actual published data.

Anyway, there’s potential for lower noise, better fuel economy, and lower vibration due to lower speed. I questioned why it wouldn’t run slower under very low loads and was told the issue they face is that air conditioners starting up would cause problems if generator was allowed to idle. Apparently it could not respond quickly enough.

For van owners this can be great news if the generator can run an A/C efficiently.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:47 PM   #37

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
I got lost on this thread? OP answer was no for his 24.1 Axis. Presumably he may have known as he tried with no success. So short of the additional cost for Easy Start, or addition and/or bigger generator, did the OP ever say why he did not wish to use the on board generator? (not talking trailer folks here)

Is it just a nice to have or if I can do kind of thing? i.e. I have 5500 Onan generator and a 9 year old Sinemate 3500 KW Inverter Generator that still works fine ( I was told it would not last 2 years. It was low cost option that had had 3 year warranty so it was good gamble) Granted I use mainly in emergency situations as a power source to my transfer switch at the house but I had no problems with it running my RV or 10 key breakers on my house. I have used Sea Foam on occasion to keep running smoothly based on how it sounded).

For kicks and since I had it, I bought a dogbone to connect to my coach. I made a Neutral Ground myself to avoid the float ground condition. I am able to run both 13.5 ACs. However, I have no plan to ever carry that generator with me. I don't follow the why when on board generator is available? Thus I am really curious as to why the OP wants to haul larger or 2 generators for Axis 24.1?

I would think for the low use of a generator, you would want the opportunity to use it as much as possible?

Isn't the best service of generator is its use? I frequently will start my inverter generator at home and put as much load as possible and allow to run for a hour or so just wasting the gas. The spent gas is lot cheaper than service to get carburetor rebuilt. Now I have to ensure the Coach's Generators gets adequately use as well. A boondock situation requiring generator should be the ultimate...
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote