Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2019, 06:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #5216
Thor Axis 24.1 Vent

See the attached photo of my 2016 Thor Axis 24.1. This vent is on my roof. I suspect it vents the black tank as it is over the bathroom. I noticed the hole where there is no caulking. Can anyone tell me if I am missing something? Should the hole be open like this? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190316_135714.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	16275  

Old 03-19-2019, 07:30 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The hole doesn't really matter: If some water does get in it will be very little and only go to the black or grey tanks (note that the 24.1 only has one roof vent with a Y in the bathroom wall--yup that one vent goes to both the black and grey tanks).

I believe I have a similar hole on my vent for my 24.1. I'll check this weekend as I suspect I'll be on the roof.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:07 PM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
just thinking "out loud" but it sure looks to me like someone had a wire routed that way.

I've seen where some folks will route a wire (for solar, an antenna, or whatever) down through the vent, and then pass the wire out of the vent someplace lower (inside the wall or under the coach but above the liquid level)

That hole sure looks about right for a coax cable, complete with residual caulk that used to seal up the hole...

I'd dig all that loose caulk off...from around the hole and also down at the roof membrane... clean it all up and re caulk that....
Old 03-19-2019, 09:53 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Not sure why it’s there but don’t t think it “belongs” there. As mentioned, it shouldn’t hurt anything as the vent only goes into the waste holding tanks anyway. If it was mine I might take it apart and see if I could figure out what it’s for and/or replace the cap.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:26 AM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
I have had my cap off to make sure vent pipe was clear once. I believe the hole in cap is screw hole. I have the same unit. The caulking is above a screw that keeps cap on adapter below.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:22 AM   #6

State: Washington
THOR #5216
Axis 24.1 Vent

Thanks for all the replies. I bought the RV new so I do not think any cables, etc were ever put thru that hole.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:07 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
The hole is normal and should not be filed with caulk. If you put a screw driver down you will find a screw that holds the cap on.