Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2016, 03:53 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 31S
State: Florida
THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
See my post #17 -- my 2015 Vegas' Ford Warranty book on page 14 said about the alignment covered under warranty within the first 12000 miles or 12 months.
Thanks Ed, but because Ford sends a stripped chassis I would doubt that Ford would warranty an alignment after the coach body was built on the chassis. Ford most likely sends the finished stripped chassis aligned but as you know, the alignment angles would change after all the coach weight is added. It would be up to the coach manufacturer to perform an alignment after the coach was built. I cant find any info stating that the manufacturer does that. I would just like to know.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:16 PM   #62

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Penguin -- I would agree, but the warranty guide and Ford booklet is specifically for the stripped chassis. Ford knows that another manufacturer is going to build something on that chassis adding weight -- fire rescue truck, ambulance, executive limousine, delivery truck, local refrigerator truck, motorhome, etc.

I agree that Ford probably sent out the chassis aligned. I'm not one who subscribes to having to realign it because weight was added. A realignment might be required because it wasn't aligned properly in the first place, or if the second manufacturer did something to the suspension system as part of their build. The 2015 E-350 stripped chassis of my Vegas has a curb weight of 6000 lbs and is rated at 12,500 GVWR. Shouldn't Ford's wheel alignment be good for the 6000 lbs up to the total GVWR?

The chassis is rated at several thousands lbs. Is every ambulance, fire rescue truck, delivery van, etc. realigned after the rebuild? And for delivery trucks -- that vehicle would be EMPTY after it was finished reassembly. What happens after several thousand lbs of furniture, cargo, or what ever else it is going to be used to haul is put in the back. Wouldn't that additional weight require realignment? ... and then realigned again after it is emptied?

I'll probably get an answer soon because I'm coming up on my one-year point for my 2015 Vegas. I'll be calling the Ford Commercial Truck dealer soon to enquire about this provision in the warranty guide.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:47 PM   #63

Model: Windsport 31S
THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Penguin -- I would agree, but the warranty guide and Ford booklet is specifically for the stripped chassis. Ford knows that another manufacturer is going to build something on that chassis adding weight -- fire rescue truck, ambulance, executive limousine, delivery truck, local refrigerator truck, motorhome, etc.

I agree that Ford probably sent out the chassis aligned. I'm not one who subscribes to having to realign it because weight was added. A realignment might be required because it wasn't aligned properly in the first place, or if the second manufacturer did something to the suspension system as part of their build. The 2015 E-350 stripped chassis of my Vegas has a curb weight of 6000 lbs and is rated at 12,500 GVWR. Shouldn't Ford's wheel alignment be good for the 6000 lbs up to the total GVWR?

The chassis is rated at several thousands lbs. Is every ambulance, fire rescue truck, delivery van, etc. realigned after the rebuild? And for delivery trucks -- that vehicle would be EMPTY after it was finished reassembly. What happens after several thousand lbs of furniture, cargo, or what ever else it is going to be used to haul is put in the back. Wouldn't that additional weight require realignment? ... and then realigned again after it is emptied?

I'll probably get an answer soon because I'm coming up on my one-year point for my 2015 Vegas. I'll be calling the Ford Commercial Truck dealer soon to enquire about this provision in the warranty guide.
I would agree with you also, with your scenario you would be constantly aligning the chassis which is just ridiculous. Please keep us informed on what you find out.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:37 PM   #64
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
A tip given to me by my Ford service adviser many years ago is that Ford will not do an alignment just because you think it needs to be done or want it to be done. There must be some underlying reason that requires that it be done. Based the the advisers recommendation my front tires have always shown uneven wear at about the 11,500 mile mark. I have never had Ford refuse an alignment based on uneven tire wear although a couple of techs were blind and it took a few minutes for them to see the 1/1000th inch tread difference between the inside and outside of the tires.

With that said, I will also state that with the last 2 motor homes I had my local service adviser make my appointments at the truck center for me. Did that get me special treatment, since I bought numerous vehicles from them over the years, to include 3 new cars within one week, I hope so. I better be getting VIP treatment or I'm finding another dealer.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:19 PM   #65

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
According to our Thor owners manual the coach is sent to the dealer aligned.
Doesn't mean it's correct.
It's confusing when they say it's sent to dealer aligned and then next sentence recommend you get one.

The three Ford products we owned prior to the Axis could be aligned all day long and they still ate front tires.