Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2018, 04:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #6919
Thor Axis/Vegas Tankless Hot Water Heater Problem

Hi All
I've had my 2017 Axis 2017 in shop most of 2017 for same problem they can't find solution for. Tankless HWH keeps running hot and cold. Well finally had a come to Jesus meeting with GM of Camping World Statesville NC and today they said they spoke with Thor and they said it is a pressure problem. When in shower I must turn on hot water know 1/4 way on and wait till it hits 124 degrees and then open up all the way and add cold water and it will hold steady. Anybody else have this problem?

Next issue....got an alignment drives better but would like more control. Heard some of you got stabilizers but that will run another $1K about for bars and installation. Worth it?

Last issue...thinking of upgrading to the new one with two slides. Some of you have done that. How much have you lost on trade ins? Better to trade or try to sell outright? AAAggggghhhhhh......

Thanks!!!!

Old 01-16-2018, 04:21 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Can't speak to the tankless water heater--ours is old enough that we have the standard old tank.

As far as stabilizers: We've only had ours aligned and added Sumo springs on the front. The Sumo's made a big difference on how it handles and really reduced the "wallowing" the unit did. The Sumo's only run about $150 or so.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:21 AM   #3

State: Ohio
THOR #6223
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenr View Post
Hi All
I've had my 2017 Axis 2017 in shop most of 2017 for same problem they can't find solution for. Tankless HWH keeps running hot and cold. Well finally had a come to Jesus meeting with GM of Camping World Statesville NC and today they said they spoke with Thor and they said it is a pressure problem. When in shower I must turn on hot water know 1/4 way on and wait till it hits 124 degrees and then open up all the way and add cold water and it will hold steady. Anybody else have this problem?

Next issue....got an alignment drives better but would like more control. Heard some of you got stabilizers but that will run another $1K about for bars and installation. Worth it?

Last issue...thinking of upgrading to the new one with two slides. Some of you have done that. How much have you lost on trade ins? Better to trade or try to sell outright? AAAggggghhhhhh......

Thanks!!!!
Not impressed with 'instant' water heater. Would love to go back to tank heater. Takes 30 seconds to get any kind of hot water. I added SafeTPlus steering stabilizer and Hellwig anti sway bar. Worked wonders for handling. Ford dealer installed steering stabilizer for $150. I installed sway bar. Probably payed less than $500 for everything.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:54 AM   #4

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Hi All

Thanks!!!!
We are with the standard water heater too so I also cannot comment on that. I will comment that we have one in our home and have had our fair share of problems with it until we found a maestro plumber who received his plumber's training in Canada who was able to iron out the problems! On our Axis, we first did the alignment, added the Saf-T-Plus and that made a huge difference in the control areas. Later, we added Koni shock absorbers and front Sumo Springs and that had the ride and control even better.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:55 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #6523
We had issues with hot/cold from the tankless in our 2017 Axis 24.1 and neither Thor or MHSRV could help. It would start out warm and instantly go very cold, over and over. It wasn’t until I read a detailed post here about proper water pressure that we solved the problem. We bought a water pressure regulator and upped the pressure and since we’ve had much better results. Search for that post. It went into a lot of detail and was quite helpful.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:05 PM   #6

Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
I had problems with my tankless heater as well. I jumped through all sorts of hoops between CW, Girrard, and Thor trying to resolve the issue.
Last November I took my Axis to Wakarusa and they repaired a multitude of problems I had with my unit. One being the tankless heater. Turns out two of the heating units were burned out! So I got a brand new one and it works great.
Also there’s a flow valve that you need to open in order to get better flow. In my Axis 25.2 it’s accessible via the jackknife sofa. Not easy to reach but doable.
I want to say that my dealings with the folks at Wakarusa couldn’t have been better. They have a wonderful setup and the service rep that was assigned to me was beyond helpful. Well worth the drive from Mississippi.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:15 PM   #7

Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
Count me in the ranks of those who don't like the 'instant' hot water heater. Takes way too long to get hot water in our Axis 25.5. Not only wastes a lot of water but also adds to the gray water holding tank, if you're not hooked up to a sewer system at a camp ground. Never had such problems with the old style 5 and 6 gallon water heaters in other RV's we've owned.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:38 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds 24FS Class C
THOR #10509
Quote:
Hi All

Thanks!!!!
Count me among the "tankless" haters. We have an new (2018) thor MH with tankless. Not good. We went through the service calls to CW and Girrard and both said "run the hot water at low volume." That almost worked. We now have turned the temp. down as low as it goes (95 degrees) and it runs warm so we can shower in barely warm water.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:49 PM   #9

Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
As to whether to trade-in or sell your unit, check your state's sales tax laws. In Florida and many other states, if you trade-in, you only pay sales tax on the amount you pay over the trade-in allowance. If you sell your RV yourself and buy another RV, you'll pay sales tax on the full cost of the new unit. Over the years, I've found that the difference you may obtain between selling it yourself and what you might get for a trade-in allowance, will sometimes be eaten up by the additional sales tax you'll pay on the full cost of the new vehicle. Good luck!
Old 01-25-2018, 02:48 AM   #10

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Indiana
THOR #5760
I did not like our tankless at first either, till I learned how to use it. First, never mix cold water with it. Go to your control panel and set the temperature, I use 105, then just turn on the hot water side only. The Girard heater will regulate pretty well to the selected temperature. Also, give it a few seconds to line out its temp, when you first turn on the shower I find it takes about 10-15 seconds before the temp is steady at 105 then it is good to go for as long a shower as you want. Good Luck.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:55 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilliams View Post
I did not like our tankless at first either, till I learned how to use it. First, never mix cold water with it. Go to your control panel and set the temperature, I use 105, then just turn on the hot water side only. The Girard heater will regulate pretty well to the selected temperature. Also, give it a few seconds to line out its temp, when you first turn on the shower I find it takes about 10-15 seconds before the temp is steady at 105 then it is good to go for as long a shower as you want. Good Luck.
x2 Agree that is exactly how we use it for showers no problem.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:13 PM   #12

Model: compass 23tw
THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
x2 Agree that is exactly how we use it for showers no problem.
me too
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:30 PM   #13

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
A question about the power switch on the unit itself that you access from outside. If that is off does it disable the cold weather protection even if the use switch is on?
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:05 PM   #14

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
We have the tank less HWH in ours. Took a little getting used to, and an adjustable pressure regulator set to 53PSI. Its nice to not worry about running out of hot water, especially when showing. Like almost anything, there are things I like about it, and some not so much.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:32 AM   #15

State: Alabama
THOR #10222
Have you checked the cross over value for winters action it could be opened part way
Old 01-29-2018, 12:35 AM   #16

State: Alabama
THOR #10222
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0052.JPG
Views:	535
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	8785
Old 01-29-2018, 12:43 AM   #17

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: New York
THOR #5875
There isn't a crossover with the tankless water heaters, but if the outside shower had the valves open then that would act like a crossover and the tankless system doesn't perform properly.
We just leave our heater set to 118 degrees and only mix in a small amount of cold if needed. We also installed an Oxygenics shower head that made a world of difference.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:37 PM   #18

Model: Gemini 23TB
State: Georgia
THOR #10886
Has anyone tried a different manufacturer for tankless? I see others out there and wonder if there’s one that isn’t so temperamental. Thanks!
Mac
Old 04-24-2018, 11:13 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilliams View Post
I'm going to have to try this method... with a 55 psi pressure regulator!
Thanks!
(I've NEVER been able to get it to work reliably! )
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:36 AM   #20

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
I set ours to 122 degrees, for showering, turn the hot water full on, then mix cold for comfortable temperature. Works well, at least for us.