Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2017, 03:53 PM   #21

State: Florida
THOR #8840
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcpe View Post
Check that insulation is not restricting the duct openings as mine were. A huge increase in airflow after I opened them up. Also found that st the vents over the bunk, no end do .such air was flowing into the front cap which is uninsulated. Plugged those openings as well. if you don't even with all vents closed, much air is being wasted into the cap. Also found the baffle between the intake and exhaust sides if the A.C. unit was not installed correctly reducing efficiency.
Thanks I'll check the baffle...I already fixed the insulation issue.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:07 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31E
State: Georgia
THOR #5047
Install another unit in the vent fan area in the bedroom. Run the wire down to your electrical cord storage area separate from the main electrical system. Plug it into the extra outlets on your power post.
Adv- great air when parked with hookups (great sleep also)
Disadv- Cant run both on your genny or at a place without the extra outlets. And need to carry a 50 amp, 20 amp, converter.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:08 PM   #23

THOR #8840
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw1gator View Post
Install another unit in the vent fan area in the bedroom. Run the wire down to your electrical cord storage area separate from the main electrical system. Plug it into the extra outlets on your power post.
Adv- great air when parked with hookups (great sleep also)
Disadv- Cant run both on your genny or at a place without the extra outlets. And need to carry a 50 amp, 20 amp, converter.
We've had this unit a year now and found if we put the AC down to 60 as soon as we park, after a few hours it gets really cold (in the bedrm area as well). Then we set it to 74 and it stays regulated for as long as we're there. I do run a small fan in the bedrm and it is very comfortable. So we are not needing a 2nd AC after all.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:28 PM   #24

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
One AC may be enough if you are somewhat tolerant of heat. Frankly even in our 24TX, the one it came with was not enough, even in moderately warm temperature, let alone really hot. I felt we needed that second AC, and had a second one installed, so it goes through the existing ducting. It makes it far more comfortable, for us, but as I say comfortable temperatures can be widely different for different folks. To power the second AC, I had a second 30 amp receptacle mounted right next to the existing one, which powers only the front AC. I use a Y adaptor off both, to a 50 amp cable, and just plug into the 50 amp service at the park.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:56 PM   #25

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
If you're glasses don't fog up when you step outside, it's not cold enough inside!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:15 PM   #26

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
chances are, if you are already asking about whether one AC unit will be enough, you've already answered your own question - NO.

for many folks, in various situations and other temperature areas, yes, though. Everybody, and I mean everybody, has a different definition of what 'enough' means for them. My mother keeps it 68 in her house, 24/7, whether she's there or not. Mine is at 80, and I'm perfectly fine with that, though I do realize that even different house will 'feel' differently, even at the same temp.

get you TWO, and you won't look back...
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:32 PM   #27

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Ironically we are headed there this weekend, but looks like the weather will be cooler this week, fortunately. I have been there when it was 95 and 100 degrees, in our former DP, which had two 15,000BTU AC's, and they were not enough to hold it below low 80's. I frankly have never seen an RV that could be air conditioned at least to my satisfaction, when the outside temps are high 90's or over 100 degrees.
There are coaches (DP's) that have 3/4 or more AC units ...HOWEVER they tend to be rather spendy RV's.
IF we ever wear out the one we have ..the next will have 4 AC's vs the 3 now.
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote