Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2017, 12:11 PM   #21
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Due to other circumstances, I was unable to do the oil change myself this year... Ford dealer about 2 miles away does oil changes (and only oil changes) on RVs...Made appointment (next day) and brought it in.
Normal car charge plus a few bucks for the additional quarts of oil. Just over $40.

They did it outside - not an issue in FL especially this time of year.
Spilled some oil in their parking lot...

Didn't think to bring the Fumoto valve with me, so that will have to wait till next year... Hopefully I will be able to do it by then.

2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:36 PM   #22

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Our dealer declined doing oil changes etc. on ours, and recommended taking it directly to Mercedes for any engine or chassis service. I use the dealer only for working on house stuff. There is a tech there that I always request, who does good work and takes pride in what he does, so he is the only tech that works on it.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:33 PM   #23

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Question: Why not take it back to your RV Dealer? Wouldn't they have a better idea of what to watch out for, in the rest of the rig?
(Okay: two questions!)
I'd hate to have the local Ford Dealership just look past something that might need addressing...
My dealer charges $160 an hour for labor. I take my to Pete's Road Service, they handle trucks so they also take care of motorhomes.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:19 PM   #24

THOR #6557
While in northern Wisconsin we needed a oil change. The only place that would change the oil was a big equipment repair shop. The owner apologized that his rate is $120.00 per hour plus oil and filter, with a 1 hour minimum. He stated that the oil change would take about 10 minutes and they would spend the rest of the time going over the rig checking that nuts, bolts, hoses and belts were properly adjusted to factory specs. Long story short, came back a few hours later to find a 2 page report of items that were inspected and adjusted to spec, front end alignment, along with all the clearance light covers replaced because they were improperly installed.
Total bill $165.00 dollars.
Just needed to share a good experience story.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:13 PM   #25

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
I live near a small town that has a Ford Fleet Dealer. They handle class A’s full service. My Gemini diesel gets full service and Ford chassis warranty work in the auto and light truck bays. Far better than dealing with the rv dealer. In and out while I have lunch.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:20 PM   #26

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
I live near a small town that has a Ford Fleet Dealer. They handle class A’s full service. My Gemini diesel gets full service and Ford chassis warranty work in the auto and light truck bays. Far better than dealing with the rv dealer. In and out while I have lunch.
Totally agree, I love my local Ford Fleet dealership, very professional - they service all the school buses and local utility vehicles so you know they can be trusted!
Old 03-12-2018, 12:32 PM   #27

Model: Windsport 31z
State: Arizona
THOR #8277
I have the Transit diesel and I took it to my local Ford dealership and they said they can change the oil and filter. So I took it a few days ago and after the Tach brought it back I asked him it he put it on a lift or they have a trench? He said he did it in the parking lot in back! And his back looked live it to. Good thing they protect the seat and floors. I was impressed they did that instead of saying they couldn’t do it. Plus I saved 90.00 over CW.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:37 PM   #28

State: Alaska
THOR #6879
My ford dealership charged 49 bucks for our ACE oil change. They did it in service write up area. However they can't do alignments as our RV would hang 12 ft over the rack,.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:42 PM   #29

Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
Ford dealership in Deland, FL told me same thing, they could service my Axis in parking lot but not in shop due to building's height limitations.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:38 PM   #30

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Engine Service

I have only taken our 2016 Axis 24.1 to our local RV Truck service center in town. I wouldn't think of taking it to the RV dealer where we purchased it and feel the same way as far as oil changes go as far as the Ford dealership goes. I took it to the Ford dealer that handles trucks this size which is not located in town once. The reason for that was a Ford warranty issue because the shift selector needed adjustment.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:32 PM   #31

Model: Four Winds 24F
State: Illinois
THOR #10076
Landmark Ford EAST, in Springfield, IL, services RV’s. My class C is $68 for OLF, including doing the generator. They stock all the necessary service items for Onan generators.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:10 PM   #32

Model: Chateau 35SD
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8439
I’ve used Rush Truck Center for my Super C 35SD and they were great, better than local Ford dealer’s Fleet Service.

Mike Wenzel
Oklahoma City