Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2019, 04:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Wyoming
THOR #8160
Thor Hurricane 27K Handling Improvements

I live in Cheyenne Wyoming and to say wind is an issue is an understatement. When I purchased my RV it had 5000 miles on it but no handling improvements had been made. Thanks to the members of this forum I have done the following:

First I did the CHF front and rear.
I added a Safety Plus Steering Stabilizer
I put on a rear track bar
I had the wheels aligned
A few days ago I put on front Sumo Shock Assist

It tracks pretty good and is much better in the wind. I tow a Mini Cooper on a car dolly so it's not a heavy tow.

I am heading for Phoenix via Las Vegas in January so I have plenty of time to make another handling upgrade. I do them all myself so no waiting for a
dealer to take weeks to do simple mods.

I am looking for recommendation on what I might add to get a little more improvement on sway and/or general handling. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Front Sumo Shocks
Roadmaster Front & Rear Anti Sway Bar's
Dan In Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:18 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
Dan, We have 2015 Windsport 27K that I recently added an additional Roadmaster rear sway bar on. I also have made the same mods you have. We've put about 600 miles on since the upgrade and I feel the improvement was worth the effort especially in regards to the wind. I installed this as well as all the other items myself. look at the following link to see how it attaches. On ours everything lined up perfectly.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:12 AM   #3

THOR #8160
Roadmaster Sway Bar

John

Thanks for the reply and video. I did a little research and it sounds like a solid upgrade possibility. I have watched the video and I need to look and see if I would need to remove my rear track bar. If I do the reviews make it sound like a positive exchange that could add better handling control.

Thanks again,

Dan
Front Sumo Shocks
Old 10-22-2019, 03:45 AM   #4

THOR #989
Dan,
I think you'll find that your track bar will not need to be removed. Our track bar was no where near where the sway bar mounts. Good luck
Old 10-22-2019, 08:03 PM   #5

Model: 29m
State: California
THOR #16201
Dan

we purchased our RV in Arizona and drove it back to California. Its a 2019 Thor 29m Wndsport. Coming through Palm Springs area I thought I was going to die. The wind was so bad through there it was incredible. I put on a Roadmaster front sway bar, Sumo assists in the front, roadmaster front stableizer, and a rear roadmaster sway bar in addition to the stock one in the rear. I contacted the company that makes a trackbar for the rear, they told me I the rear sway bar will work on the rear with the track mount. These upgrades made a world of difference.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:49 PM   #6

THOR #8160
Roadmaster Sway Bar

Thanks for your reply. Most folks do not realize that out of the box RV's on the Ford F-53 Frame are almost undriveable in high wind or heavy truck traffic.

Winds are a way of life here in Wyoming. Especially in the fall and winter. They can blow in the mid 20's to the high 30's for several days at a time. Gusts can be in the 50's and 60's.

Based on the input so far I'm going to order the rear sway bar.

Thanks again,

Dan
Front Sumo Shocks
Old 11-09-2019, 11:27 PM   #7

THOR #8160
John,

Tried to start the install on the Roadmaster Sway Bar today. Was not able to remove the two bolts on the lower frame behind the rear tires. Tried both 1/2 air and electric impacts. I can only assume they were way over torqued at the factory. I will see if I can rent something with more torque. Ever heard of anyone else having problems removing those bolts. The video makes it look easy.

Dan
Front Sumo Shocks
Old 11-10-2019, 12:09 AM   #8

THOR #989
Dan, If I recall, I had to use a pipe on my breaker or wrench to break them loose. I have a set of combination wrenches that I cut off the open end part so I can slide a pipe over the wrench. I may have used that since that area is a little tight. I may have also used a little heat on them. I also recall that once the shocks are unbolted they expand and I had to use a small bottle jack to push them back up to allow you to reinstall the bolts. Good luck on your project.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:20 AM   #9

THOR #8160
Really tried to do the sway bar by myself. I used a powerful 1/2 air impact wrench with the air pressure jacked up to 150 psi on the lower bolts in back of the rear tires. I pounded the bolt until I thought something might break so I gave up. I finally took it to a local reputable independent repair center that does heavy duty repair. They did an alignment on my motor home a while back. They are not cheap but they are good and stand behind what they do. The sway bar is the only install I did not do myself.

The wife and I are heading to Arizona right after the first of the year. Here are my mods to date:

A Safety Plus steering stabilizer.

CHF both front and rear.

A rear track bar.

Sumo front shock assists.

Rear Roadmaster anti sway bar

The recliner conversion. Used a piece of kitchen counter top for the end table top. Easy clean up possible spills.

Installed LED lights the length of my awning and wired them into my outdoor light switch.

Looking forward to an easy drive and a comfortable stay in Arizona. When we get back I'm considering adding a second AC unit in the bedroom. I would need to power it by running a dedicated wire through the roof to the outside of the RV and install a 110 connector. I could then plug it into the 15 AMP circuit that is on all RV campground power poles and run the rest of the RV and AC on my normal 30 AMP power line.

It's always something. Travel safe and thanks for all your advice.
Front Sumo Shocks
Old 12-08-2019, 02:45 PM   #10

THOR #989
Glad you had somebody that could assist with the sway bar installation. We've done all the same modifications to our 27K and the results have been great. Trucks are no longer an issue passing in either direction.and handling in high winds is much improved. Based on our scaled weights I usually run about 81-82# in the tires. I hope your handling improves as much. After your trip to AZ let us know how it handled.

If we were going to add a second a/c I too would run a seperate 110 power for it. I've been thinking of adding a dedicated outlet that way for electric heaters or when the DW wants to have MANY kitchen appliances on at the same time!! Safe travels.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:51 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
My second ac connects to the top plug

JerryClick image for larger version

Name:	20190702_083403.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	21754Click image for larger version

Name:	20190702_084410.jpg