Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2018, 01:14 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #12340
BTW that prism was listed as a class B+

Old 10-03-2018, 01:24 PM   #62

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Bob, as far as I recall, the term B+ came about a long time ago, and was used to describe rigs like this Transvan. It was a little bigger than a van, but not what buyers expected from a Class C, so the term B+ was used. I suppose it sounds better to have a B+ than a C-

Keep in mind that back then we didn’t have European vans in US, so “vans” were either Dodge, Ford, or Chevy; all too low to stand inside without a fiberglass roof added.

Even with its B+ body, the TransVan was too low to stand up front, but had a dropped floor behind the rear axle where an adult could stand in kitchen and bath area. Soon after they got bigger, taller, and eliminated the drop floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	48B41D0D-FF46-40E9-A9EA-1B3FF8B30E91.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	13199  
Old 10-03-2018, 02:13 PM   #63

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
yep, it can be a 'little' confusing...

A - raw frame/chassis/motor from a primary vehicle manufacturer, then built ONTO by an RV manufacturer...whether gas or diesel, and whether engine is located in front, mid, or rear of chassis

B - 'complete' finished vehicle from a primary vehicle manufacturer, then INTERIOR modifications by an RV manufacturer

B+ - same as above, except with some added 'external' additions/body modifications by an RV manufacture

C - complete finished DRIVER AREA only vehicle, with raw rear chassis, then built ONTO by an RV manufacturer

C+ -same as above, with larger engine platforms, and larger/longer additions to chassis by RV manufacturer

SuperC - complete SEMI TRUCK platform, with raw rear chassis, then built ONTO by RV manufacturer

even with all that, there's still some that seem to fit several different 'catagories', sometime depending on how the manufacturer wants to 'advertise' them...
Old 10-03-2018, 02:48 PM   #64
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Chance, I would guess the Trans-Van photo is from around 1977. Mostly all were on Dodge chassis. Champion was a Huge player back then in Elkhart. That was also the Hippie Van ERA with another Elkhart company Hop Cap building the VANTASTIC Vans. Fully FACTORY tricked out Hippie vans were SUPER HOT BACK THEN.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:51 PM   #65
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post

A - raw frame/chassis/motor from a primary vehicle manufacturer, then built ONTO by an RV manufacturer...whether gas or diesel, and whether engine is located in front, mid, or rear of chassis

B - 'complete' finished vehicle from a primary vehicle manufacturer, then INTERIOR modifications by an RV manufacturer

B+ - same as above, except with some added 'external' additions/body modifications by an RV manufacture

C - complete finished DRIVER AREA only vehicle, with raw rear chassis, then built ONTO by an RV manufacturer

C+ -same as above, with larger engine platforms, and larger/longer additions to chassis by RV manufacturer

SuperC - complete SEMI TRUCK platform, with raw rear chassis, then built ONTO by RV manufacturer
Nice job of laying it all out for us!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:27 PM   #66

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Same as the ice cream in Post #54 but with sprinkles and chocolate syrup. The original A, B and C configurations haven't changed...only manipulated by the buyer and seller. It's like the guys with a Class A on a F53 chassis or a Palazzo, calling it a bus. It's whatever you want it to be. The original "coach" came from horse drawn stage coaches...then, they built them on motorized chassis (charter bus), thus "motor coach". Then they made motor homes with the motor coach bus. Now-a-days, any MH is called a "coach". Pick your name...call it what you want...feel good with it...go camping!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:42 PM   #67

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post

....cut....

Fully FACTORY tricked out Hippie vans were SUPER HOT BACK THEN.
Yeah, sidepipes, Cragar wheels, and murals were must haves.

The interesting thing about vans is that they can be converted from a luxurious yet simple limo-style all the way to a full camper, and everything in between.

I admire all the young people today who are learning how to work with their hands by building their own version of a home on wheels.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:59 PM   #68

THOR #11130
Back in the Hippie Days (I had a 1968 Chevy Van), if you didn't have burns on the backs of your calves from "Lake Pipes", you weren't cool!!
Old 10-03-2018, 04:03 PM   #69
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post

even with all that, there's still some that seem to fit several different 'catagories', sometime depending on how the manufacturer wants to 'advertise' them...
Note that a SuperC can also be built on a pickup chassis with a Diesel engine. (Thor's SuperC's are pickup chassis.)
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/omni/
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/magnitude/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:06 PM   #70
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We could really simplify this :
Just call all of them: "The big rolling turd":, and let it go at that!
Old 10-03-2018, 04:37 PM   #71

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Note that a SuperC can also be built on a pickup chassis with a Diesel engine. (Thor's SuperC's are pickup chassis.)
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/omni/
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/magnitude/

Using TurnerFam nomenclature, that would make the Thors based on F-550 a C+ rather than a Super-C, which was indeed first used for Class Cs based on large truck chassis like Freightliner and others. Some Class Cs have been built on Ford diesel F-350 pickup trucks (RAM and GM equivalent also), but are hardly called Super-Cs.

Somewhere in the middle between a Semi chassis and a 1-ton pickup truck chassis there were Kodiak mid-size truck-based Class Cs that resemble the newer Thor F-550. I’m not sure I ever saw the term Super-C used to describe them — not sure what they called them. Marketing is all about painting the right image.

Bottom line is Hymer won’t be importing any of these to North America.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:59 PM   #72

THOR #11130
Kinda with Bob at this point...who cares?? Call it whatever your ego hungers for...I call all of them "campers".
Old 10-03-2018, 05:06 PM   #73

THOR #4735
and, having taken in your recent comments : ), the SuperC 'semi truck diesel' platform is actually not a 'Semi Truck' that you see pulling trailers, but yet a 'Class B'(not to be confused with RV Class 'B's) in the commercial truck industry - meaning that it does not pull a trailer, but has it's own extended chassis which 'usually' is built for a cargo BOX, such as a Furniture Moving Truck, like a UHAUL.
The vehicle is built with the rear dually wheel set, or tag-axle set on the extended 40-45' chassis... not the same as a true 'semi truck', which is a short chassis, which has a fifth-wheel connector.

Have fun!
Old 10-03-2018, 05:13 PM   #74

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
B this, C that...A-nough already. My head hurts.

LOL
Old 10-03-2018, 05:20 PM   #75

THOR #4735
and as for the meaning of the term 'coach', versus 'motorhome'... I'll say that this one is probably more to do with the conversion of a passenger 'coach', which is a BUS chassis, built for carrying multiple passengers, into more of a luxury 'house on wheels'... now considered as a 'motorcoach'.

but, to add even more definition... most DIESEL pusher owners might also consider their RVs as a 'motorcoach' because it's diesel platform, air brake system, and air bags suspension, typically set it apart from the 'original' motorhome GAS fuel platform.

to each his own, but I prefer using 'motorcoach' for diesel, and 'motorhome' for gas, at least for Class As, if you differentiating the two. While a true BUS chassis is built in a factory, and later converted by a conversion company, such as LibertyCoach, into a 'motorcoach', all of the others are built as a motorhome chassis to start with, even Newell and Foretravel, who may build theirs in their own factory.
Right now, only Prevost is built and converted later into 'motorcoaches', on a true passenger bus platform. Expensive, too.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:36 PM   #76
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by RvEd View Post
B this, C that...A-nough already. My head hurts.
LOL
It sounds as if it's time for some "Adult Refreshments".

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1538588165
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drink to That.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	13200  
Old 10-03-2018, 07:58 PM   #77

THOR #11130
In commercial truck terms the Ford F550 cab and chassis is a Class 5, not a B. It's based on GVWR. Now...go back to sleep!!
Old 10-06-2018, 08:15 PM   #78

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #3743
Sad to see so many old grumpy jealous people on here that think they are so far above everyone else. In my seventy years I have learned that the generation before us thought the same and as they grew old they also grew jealous of the young people. Live your own life and let others live theirs. You had your turn and now it is their turn. Remember there is always someone with more and someone with less. Always has been and always will be.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:21 AM   #79

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Top 10 List For Screwing Your Millennials

10. Write your will in crayon
9. Leave your furniture to your pets
8. Leave you bank account to your pets
7. Give them your house key then change the locks
6. Leave funeral arrangements that include McDonalds food
5. Make them take off their shoes at your funeral
4. Create bogus adoption papers and leave them on your desk
3. Unplug the dishwasher say it's broken, tell them to help you wash
2. Tell them they have to go the basement may flood at night
1. Get a reverse mortgage

Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:40 AM   #80

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recalculating View Post
Sad to see so many old grumpy jealous people on here that think they are so far above everyone else. In my seventy years I have learned that the generation before us thought the same and as they grew old they also grew jealous of the young people. Live your own life and let others live theirs. You had your turn and now it is their turn. Remember there is always someone with more and someone with less. Always has been and always will be.
You're 70? Holy cow you are much older than me. Telling or sharing the truth is not grumpy it's venting and keeps us from choking people that actually need choking. Jealous? Yeah right I wish I knew nothing, was broke, irresponsible, disrespectful and felt entitled. That's the life for me! We have a special comradery here that enables us to comfortably share horror and humor. Really sorry you don't get that. The 60's produced Abby Hoffman, the Weathermen underground, Black Panthers, hippies, draft dodgers Vietnam Nam War and apparently you. You know what they say about the porch and the big dogs.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote