Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2018, 02:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Wisconsin
THOR #10194
mice in engine compartment

Recently my engine light came on and found that mice had entered the engine compartment and chewed wires and connectors to 2 cylinders I felt lucky at only a 200.00 bill to repair but this happened this summer in only a 2-3 week period sitting in my driveway. I have never had this problem with any of my other vehicles ever. If this was during months the motorhome is in storage I would open engine compartment and put something on the block but I really don't want to open up engine compartment every time I want to drive away. I haven't had any mice during storage months in or outside before and the motorhome sits in the same spot year round. Has anyone had this happen during non-storage months and any ideas on how to prevent this during non-storage months.
Thanks

Old 09-13-2018, 03:02 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Try soaking a couple of cotton balls with peppermint oil, and place them strategically under the hood.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:24 PM   #3

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawbs1 View Post
Recently my engine light came on and found that mice had entered the engine compartment and chewed wires and connectors to 2 cylinders I felt lucky at only a 200.00 bill to repair but this happened this summer in only a 2-3 week period sitting in my driveway. I have never had this problem with any of my other vehicles ever. If this was during months the motorhome is in storage I would open engine compartment and put something on the block but I really don't want to open up engine compartment every time I want to drive away. I haven't had any mice during storage months in or outside before and the motorhome sits in the same spot year round. Has anyone had this happen during non-storage months and any ideas on how to prevent this during non-storage months.
Thanks
One time long ago when I was driving a small, i started and warmed it up, drove away and for a couple of days heard a scratch with a burning smell. It's was kinda hard to pull over in the going to work grind to find out what the problem was and eventually the scratching stopped anyway. Ok, couple of weeks later when I was checking the brake fluid, I saw the body of a squirrel that was stuck between the truck wall and the bell housing of the transmission. Guess he got stuck there but i had to remove him then. Ugh.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
"Squirrel Stew on the Fly": how did it taste?
Old 09-13-2018, 03:34 PM   #5

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
"Squirrel Stew on the Fly": how did it taste? [emoji38]
'HE' went over the fence and into the trees. Had so many of them where I used to live that sometimes I would watch them as they teased one another, the dogs or steal the bird food.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:07 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
If you park your RV at home, buy a pair of these...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

I have a couple sets, I put them under the hoods of whatever vehicle I'm not using for awhile. If I hear the chime go off, I know there's some little visitors under the hood BEFORE they start chewing. I have them in my boat too, nice to have the peace of mind that you're not going to pull the cover off and see a rat family has moved in.

httphttps://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We've always had "Grays" in our back yard. But we recently have had an influx of Black Squirrels. Between them, the red squirrels and the chipmunks: we're always running some sort of trap-line to cull the herd a bit.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:23 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I don't know if it would work for squirrels but it would be cheap to try... Moth balls. They work great for mice. You get 3 bags in a box. Simply open the box and place the bags under your vehicle near the engine compartment.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:56 PM   #9

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
gm...gonna get em. I had a squirrel chew through hydraulic steering hoses of boat last winter. Cost me $400 in parts alone. I check often now but these will let me sleep.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:34 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Get yourself one of these: it'll even keep drug-addicted burglars out!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1536874434
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grumpy-cat.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	12785  
Old 09-13-2018, 09:54 PM   #11

THOR #1249
Irish Spring soap bars seem to work for me. I keep them in the eng. area most of the time and change them out every few months.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:56 PM   #12

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
My son parked his 4Runner same place at work he has for years. Eight hours later service engine and anti-lock brake lights are on. Squirrel attack. $3200 in damage. Thankful for insurance.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:11 PM   #13

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
My son parked his 4Runner same place at work he has for years. Eight hours later service engine and anti-lock brake lights are on. Squirrel attack. $3200 in damage. Thankful for insurance.
I remember one time we put an old stove in storage in a garage. About a year later we took it out and discovered that mice had got between the outside and inside and ruined it. Seems they made tunnels through the fiberglas and for the cost of replacement, just buy a new one.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:59 PM   #14

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Rodents can do an incredible amount of damage to electrical systems in cars, trucks and RV's. Also in your homes, if they get in there.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:44 PM   #15

State: Michigan
THOR #549
I had to have HaRVey towed to a truck garage as a result of engine ignition damage, replace all of my generator wires and replace air cleaner because of a nest. I now keep both air cleaner box openings plugged and have bags of moth balls in gen compartment. I also use a bucket trap with RV antifreeze & sunflower seeds inside during storage.
I’ve grown to dislike those little critters.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:53 PM   #16

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Try herb packs or mouse out spray, other names as well

Implement dealers carry it to keep the critters out of high Dollar equipment
Old 09-22-2018, 07:06 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I have lots of mice and squirrels on the ranch. Can't live in the country without rodents I guess. I've had luck with moth balls. I place them in old socks, put a couple sock fulls in the engine compartment. I have also read that mice and squirrels don't like to nest in open engine compartments. Another thing to remember is rodents also draw snakes that feed on them.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:10 PM   #18

THOR #10722
Insurance

I have had a couple of friends experience this recently, and their automobile insurance covered it. Be sure to check, if you have not.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:11 PM   #19

Model: 29.2 ACE
THOR #11409
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawbs1 View Post
Thanks

Well I feel your pain.
Several months ago we had kangaroo rats set up house in and around the intake manifold.
It took many hours to flush out all the debris used for nesting. A week later they were back, we had to go through the process again.
I was telling my story to man at the hardware store while picking up some traps and he told me to try PINE SOLE of course being skeptical I said what the heck why not.
I got my pump sprayer out loaded it up with pine sole and sprayed the undercarriage and all around the coach. Guess what it worked so well the neighbor used around their house and it works.

Good luck
Old 09-22-2018, 07:19 PM   #20

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
You're not supposed to get rid of them! They're the new recruits for the wheel that turns the motor. Gees...