Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 12:28 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Why fuel the fire of these FB idiot?...just shut down this post.

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
Old 07-31-2018, 12:36 PM   #62
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Actually; I think that they're entitled to their opinions...
Just as we are entitled to our opinions of them!
It might as well be out in the open, so that (hopefully!) some honest discussions can occur...
Old 07-31-2018, 01:11 PM   #63

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Forum etiquette seems to be tricky! I got a brutal private lambasting from someone I offended here and decided to just mind my own business for a while. But I REALLY appreciate the diversity of experience here and I learn so much. I don’t mind complaints at all - there’s good learning in them. But I do resist repetitive generalizations that seem intended to scare newbies (and old oldbies!) and to damage the experience for everyone. Still, I try to participate without offending...
Old 07-31-2018, 01:20 PM   #64
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I've got an easy way to stop that kind of foolishness...

Copy their PM, and paste it out in the open forum.
Folks should only be willing to say in private: what they're willing to say in public.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:42 PM   #65

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
...But I do resist repetitive generalizations that seem intended to scare newbies (and old oldbies!) and to damage the experience for everyone. Still, I try to participate without offending...
Ditto! I just hate the generalizations that because a few people have had really bad experiences with their Thor, that means that everyone should be told that ALL Thor products are crap and NO ONE should ever buy one again.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:46 PM   #66

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post
Ditto! I just hate the generalizations that because a few people have had really bad experiences with their Thor, that means that everyone should be told that ALL Thor products are crap and NO ONE should ever buy one again.

Amen! That is the very reason that I posted in the first place.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
Old 07-31-2018, 01:53 PM   #67

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
I think the importance of forums like this is to be a repository of owners experiences, suggestions, lessons learned, and advice for folks that are especially new to RV ownership. In addition, those lessons learned are helpful to even old timers on their 5th or 6th RV.

I just looked on the revision page in the introduction to the manual I compiled and was surprised that since compiling the manual in summer 2015 I revised it 31 times. The reason for almost everyone of those revisions was I learned something new on this forum and thought it was worthy of sharing.

One thing I learned in my initial research before buying our Vegas in 2015 was that you needed to be your own advocate in buying (and owning) an RV. You need to be the one to thoroughly inspect the RV before signing on the dotted line. You need to be the one to ensure every system works on battery, shore power, and generator. You need to be sure you understand how to hook everything up (like knowing you have to twist the sewer hose connection down 90 degrees to hook it up). You need to be the one to find every loose cabinet door hinge, loose wire connections, tears in the floor covering -- point out every deficiency you found in the PDI, and ensure the dealer fixes it before you hand him your money. You need to ensure you know where every fuse, circuit breaker, and switch is. And you need to do ALL that before you drive off the lot. In my 42 years of military life (commanding two AF maintenance squadrons and a Logistics Group) I learned and applied an age old adage -- "Trust, but verify." That pretty much explains my relationship with my RV dealer.

All of that "you need to " above is a lot. That's why the initial research is so important. That's why having a comprehensive checklist when you show up for the PDI is so important. That's why having an operating manual that gives you good trouble shooting techniques when something doesn't work as advertised is so important. And that is why researching the dealer (probably the most important research of all) is so important to make sure you get one who is as concerned about your customer satisfaction as depositing your check in their bank account.

Unfortunately sometimes there might be conditions where the only thing that will solve the problem is a good lawyer. But most of the problems you encounter is just going to need a hammer, screwdriver, roll of duct tape, or a really conscientious dealer or repair facility.

This forum is a treasure trove of helpful information and full of folks eager to help solve other owners' problem and suggest ways to make their Thor RV experience more pleasurable.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 07-31-2018, 02:02 PM   #68

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
...One thing I learned in my initial research before buying our Vegas in 2015 was that you needed to be your own advocate in buying (and owning) an RV. You need to be the one to thoroughly inspect the RV before signing on the dotted line. You need to be the one to ensure every system works on battery, shore power, and generator. You need to be sure you understand how to hook everything up (like knowing you have to twist the sewer hose connection down 90 degrees to hook it up). You need to be the one to find every loose cabinet door hinge, loose wire connections, tears in the floor covering -- point out every deficiency you found in the PDI, and ensure the dealer fixes it before you hand him your money. You need to ensure you know where every fuse, circuit breaker, and switch. And you need to do ALL that before you drive off the lot.

All of that "you need to " above is a lot. That's why the initial research is so important. That's why having a comprehensive checklist when you show up for the PDI is so important. That's why having an operating manual that gives you good trouble shooting techniques when something doesn't work as advertised is so important. And that is why researching the dealer (probably the most important research of all) is so important to make sure you get one who is as concerned about your customer satisfaction is as important as depositing your check in their bank account.
Absolutely true. I have found that most of the loudest complainers did not understand this. As the saying goes, you don't know what you don't know. But it's not always someone elses fault (Thor's) that you didn't know! Just accept that you made an uneducated decision, learn from it, and move on. That's life!
Old 07-31-2018, 02:17 PM   #69

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
AND...take some time in selecting the proper built coach for your application. Obviously the more you pay, the better the components will be (solid wood cabinet doors vs, composite). Don't buy a lower end unit designed for light-use, regional weekend trips and expect it to hold up in a multi-cross country excursion hauling everything you moved into it from the house you sold. Sears best defined this in their "Good...Better...Best" rating system years ago. It's all relative...a post above mentions the cabinet door that kept slamming open and closed until it fell off...what did you expect?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
Old 08-25-2019, 03:22 PM   #70

Model: Outlaw 37LS
State: Louisiana
THOR #2238
I also joined this group. It was started by an ex Thor employee that had been fired. He later went back to work for Thor at a different plant. The women that he left in charge is super negative and bitter. A few of us tried to help her with some of her problems but she was not interested and said so. She continued to bad mouth Thor customer service and everyone that works there. I made the mistake of saying maybe her problems with getting help from Thor might have something to do with her attitude. I was banned immediately and called a “ Thor lover”. This women must be the most negative and unhappy person I have ever heard of.. I have also seen her in other Motorhome related groups spouting her hatred for Thor. I feel sorry for her but I really feel sorry for her husband.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:02 PM   #71

Model: Palazzo 36.3
State: Texas
THOR #6728
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfstuart View Post
I was accused of being a “Thor Lover”
me too. i wasn't kicked out but was told i was too positive for that group and should consider leaving.

I wanted to read about issues and complaints. i didn't realize i had to have issues and complaints to be a member. WRT the admin: i can't imagine living will all that anger. it must really hurt.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:48 PM   #72
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfstuart View Post
I also joined this group. It was started by an ex Thor employee that had been fired. He later went back to work for Thor at a different plant. The women that he left in charge is super negative and bitter. A few of us tried to help her with some of her problems but she was not interested and said so. She continued to bad mouth Thor customer service and everyone that works there. I made the mistake of saying maybe her problems with getting help from Thor might have something to do with her attitude. I was banned immediately and called a “ Thor lover”. This women must be the most negative and unhappy person I have ever heard of.. I have also seen her in other Motorhome related groups spouting her hatred for Thor. I feel sorry for her but I really feel sorry for her husband.
Some folks just aren't interested in basic problem-solving.
They only want to complain...
Old 08-25-2019, 05:11 PM   #73

Model: 32.1 ACE
State: Texas
THOR #14323
I did too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
So... as part of my daily reading, I joined a few groups on Facebook. One of them is particularly entertaining (the title group Thor Motor Coach Issues and Complaints.) I of course got called out for commenting that since it is a group that does nothing but complain, it makes it hard to offer any kind of real advice. Every RV will have issues. Now yes, some of these folks have some REAL nasty problems. The fun is that nobody wants to take any kind of accountability, they all assume it is built just like a Ford or Chevy and should simply just work. Some even say they have been RV'ing for 25 years and never had issues like these (yet I say they should have hired an RV inspector prior to buying since they really didn't look too hard.) A lot of the issues are discussed here all of the time and we offer some helpful solutions. I guess most people aren't as handy as many of us, things like screws and wallpaper blemishes can be easily taken care of.

I won't mention names but there is one thread in particular that is just downright sad to read because the owner feels justified in slamming Thor at every opportunity for even the silliest stuff. My first thought is... YOU drove off the lot with it like that! Did you not look at it? Did you ask anyone to take a look at it for you? This person feels "experienced" and defends their actions... and there is no seeing anything from any other point of view... no debates or agreeing to disagree... anyway, enough about that.

All I can say is that it makes me appreciate this forum so much more every day. Thanks to all of you who make this such a great place to visit!

I also joined the FB group after having issue after issue after issue, that started the day after purchase.

While I have legit issues, a lot of my problem/attitude came from that group.

I bought a 2008 Holiday Rambler Presidential Suite, it was repo'ed when the 1st owner missed the 1st three payments. They must had some wild kids, curtains, window shades & lamp shades stained & dented. I needed a place to stay after my house had 7 ft of water from Hurricane Ike. PPL in Houston was swamped with others needing housing like me. My first 3 picks were taken by the time I walked back to the sales office, so I jumped on the HR.

It was the best RV I ever owned (had a few bumper pulls) & quality from top to bottom. I traded it this year for my 32.1 ACE & darn I wish I had it back! But my Thor just might rival it in some ways.

It slowly dawned on me what that group was all about. I traded a Cadillac for a Chevy, so I can't compare the 2. I bought a MH on the lower end of the price scale.

CW has fixed every issue over the past 6 months & Thor customer service has stood behind their product. 90% of the problems didn't need to happen if Thor had any semblance of quality control. Cheaper materials wasn't the problem, sloppy work was.

CW is more to blame for my attitude than Thor. An example is the GPS would never acquire a signal, I took it in, they called back the next day & said it works. On the drive home it still wouldn't acquire a signal. Turns out the tech turned it on, the screen came up & a miracle it works! Turns out the antenna wire was under the dash without a receiver.

Now that I'm influenced by positive info, I realize I got an entry level MH at a good price & I'm a happy camper. This forum has helped in so many ways, helping me understand, teaching me how things work or fixed, etc.

Thanx to this forum & it's members for the education & attitude adjustment. It's a learning process every day.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:16 PM   #74
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Glad to hear that you're working through the problems, and are starting to enjoy your rig!
It will all be worth the effort...
Old 08-25-2019, 06:01 PM   #75

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Some folks just aren't interested in basic problem-solving.

They only want to complain...

That’s a fact. I enjoy and learn a LOT from this forum but I have to take a break every now and again because I just get totally tired of constant complaints and rants about mostly minor annoyances. Mind you I learn the most from problems posted and resolved - and I’ve brought problems here and found invaluable aid - but the repetitive whining just degrades my calm.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:54 PM   #76
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It can be tiresome...
But I try to "calm the waters": with a positive attitude!
Old 08-25-2019, 11:04 PM   #77

Model: Vegas 25.5
THOR #12686
Maybe Thor should lead the way in the RV industry by including a basic mech/elect tool kit and hardware kit with the purchase of any motorhome. Maybe then, those new to RV purchasing will get the hint, "hey, these things must require a bit of maintenance". For an extra fee, we could get the upgraded kit that comes with stainless steel hardware. That's one of the first things I did, replaced everything I could with stainless. Planned on it prior to purchase.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:23 PM   #78

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
It can be tiresome...
But I try to "calm the waters": with a positive attitude!
Ah come on Bob, you're to modest. You are guy with the best one or two liners or a short video to make us laugh. Besides, just your name brings up the name of one of my all time favorite funny movies; "What About Bob".
Old 08-26-2019, 11:40 AM   #79

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I am frequently accused of being a "Thor Lover" because I never post anything other than a positive overall experience. When I state unit has never been back to dealer is even worse.

I had one gentleman state very clearly, " How can you be happy when there are so many problems?". I asked politely, what is the real incidence of failure? 1 in 10, 1 in 5?

Another post about how a wheel bearing failure at 4000 miles became Thor building an unsafe, unsuitable unit. I stated politely again that it was a shame they had issue but a breakdown of Ford chassis can happen, is great they stopped using as soon as noise was heard. Even if the failure rate of wheel bearing is 0.0000001% someone is likely to have an issue at some point.

I bought a new Suburban in 2006, watched a couple in a new Camaro bring it back to dealer 4 times to get spots polished out and trim pieces adjusted in the interior while negotiating. Salesman said they picked up previous day and were back within an hour to have dealer sticker removed and they had been non stop since.

I post rarely there now, the negativity is depressing.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:08 PM   #80
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Ah come on Bob, you're to modest. You are guy with the best one or two liners or a short video to make us laugh. Besides, just your name brings up the name of one of my all time favorite funny movies; "What About Bob".
If I can't be smart: I might as well be amusing...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1566824886
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Here All Week.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	19856  
Closed Thread