Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2017, 03:05 AM   #1

State: California
THOR #8323
Thor Motorhome

What cracks me up is. Before I retired I was a manager for a supermarket chain. I can tell you that they cared about every single customer interaction and would doing anything to ensure customer satisfaction.
Now, I spend $150,000 on a new Motorhome and no one, and I mean no one cares if I’m happy with the product. They couldn’t care less.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:05 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Mike View Post
What cracks me up is. Before I retired I was a manager for a supermarket chain. I can tell you that they cared about every single customer interaction and would doing anything to ensure customer satisfaction.
Now, I spend $150,000 on a new Motorhome and no one, and I mean no one cares if I’m happy with the product. They couldn’t care less.
Not much different than with my interactions with General Motors.... Agree, still not good.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:48 AM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Customer service is a thing of the past! When Walmart first started if you asked where something was an employee would personally take you and show you, now they just point and say "over there"!!! Sam would have a fit! Employees just don't seem to care now, new culture of not caring and no manners!
Old 10-06-2017, 11:38 AM   #4

Model: 34J
State: Florida
THOR #8707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Mike View Post
Welcome to the club Mike !! Your joys are only beginning.

I purchased a new Thor back in mid July and it has been in for service ever since. Not the plan i had for my family when i purchased. Really starting to believe i made a HUGE mistake.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:57 PM   #5

Model: 2016 hurricane 31s
THOR #3836
thor junk

the only time thor or camping world cares is when you get a lemon law lawyer. then the phone rings off the hook. don't be fooled, by some do-gooders on this forum, thor products are junk. get a lawyer and hold them accountable.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:27 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I am not do gooder but will say the Vegas we have has been trouble free. Granted it was used.

I would be lying if I did not say we are very hesitant to go bigger based on negative reports from people we know.

First went from Thor to Jayco, new unit in shop more than out. Sebcond had issues with Thor, went to Winnebago and still has issues.

It seems you must be somewhat handy to own one of these units. Otherwise you end up at Mercy of dealers and techs.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:11 AM   #7

Model: Citation SR Sprinter
State: Iowa
THOR #7596
Not sure about the do gooder thing but I have had no problems with my 2017 Thor Citation Sprinter. Thor and dealer have been great.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:07 AM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by montag View Post
Not sure about the do gooder thing but I have had no problems with my 2017 Thor Citation Sprinter. Thor and dealer have been great.

Me too with my 2017 Freedom Elite. No complaints although it does certainly help to be “handy”.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:15 AM   #9

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
We had a Georgetown by Forest River and upgraded to our Challenger about 30 months back. The difference is night and day for responsiveness from CSRs. Thor has been easy and supportive. I agree it is a not good that we all need warranty work - but then again when buying a house we had a punch list and it didn't move down the road at 65 MPH. We've put 35k miles on our rig and spent about 8 months per year in it often with lots of family on board. We've enjoyed the time.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:55 AM   #10

Model: Aria 3901
THOR #6952
We had a Jayco Precept with only minor issues, but were not satisified with the floor plan. Upgraded to a THOR Challenger 37KT and have been extremely happy. I suspect there are issues with every home you purchase that you drive at 60 mph, but overall we love our Challenger.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:24 AM   #11
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Count me in as a do gooder have a 2018 Windsport had a couple of minor issues after initial shake down but have been happy with the coach.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:54 AM   #12

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
Purchased our new 2017 Thor ACE 30.3 in mid-July and have had minor issues, but only been out on two trips. The first was a two-nighter close to home and then a two week trip of about 1400 miles. On the short two night functional shake down trip, the privacy window inside the main entry door window fell off and the San-T-Flush system flooded the bedroom and bathroom. Also, one of the screens above the sofa was loose and when I tried to put it back, noticed it did not have any mounting hardware on one end. Went to the dealer the day after I got back and was told the privacy window was installed backward (pebbled side adhered to the main window frame). They cleaned all the adhesive off the frame, put new adhesive on it and reinstalled it properly. They said they would repair the San-T-Flush system when I brought the unit in for its 45 day follow-up since it would probably require cutting into the wall to get to a faulty valve and replacing it.

When we took it in for the 45-day appointment (scheduled by them when we took delivery on the unit), they asked when I had a trip scheduled and I told them a week and a half later. They said they would call when it was ready for pick-up. I wondered why the date for my trip was important, since I already had an appointment for that day, made by them, to start work on any issues I had. That was my first mistaken assumption about RV ownership. Appointments, as it turns out, aren't really appointments to have work done, but just to get your unit on their lot. Three days before we were planning to leave on our two week trip, since I hadn't heard anything from them, I called to check the status. They told me it hadn't been put in the queue yet to be assigned to a technician and asked when I needed it. I told them that they asked that same question when I dropped it off and was told I had a trip planned in a week and a half. He said he would get someone on it and call me when it was ready. The next morning they called and said it was fixed. I picked it up, brought it home, and the wife and I started loading it up getting ready to leave the next day for our two week journey. As my wife was working inside the MH with the main door open and the screen door closed, I opened the screen and started to climb into the motor home and the window that was "properly" reinstalled a month earlier fell out and shattered in the driveway. I called them to get it recorded in their system and told them I would call when we got back from our trip to get it fixed again.

Finished our trip and the San-T-Flush did work well on the trip, but the cameras quit working. Got home on Saturday, September 16, called the dealer on Monday, the 18th, and told them I was back and wanted to bring the MH in to get the window repaired and that my cameras had quit working. They told me they would have to order the window and made an appointment for me to bring it in 10 days later, the 28th. I got there at 8:30 on the 28th and they asked when I needed it back and I said, "Noon." They laughed and said, "Good luck. When's your next trip." I asked why that was important since I had an appointment to get it fixed that day. She informed me they do not make appointments to do work, only to get your unit on the lot and in the queue. I asked why not let me keep it at home and they can call me when they are ready to do the work. She said we don't know what work you need until we get it on the lot and into the queue. I told her they knew what work I needed the day I called for the appointment and that I thought the only reason the appointment was scheduled for ten days later was so they would have the part and be ready to replace it (about a ten minute job, by the way) and to check out the cameras (which was probably a loose wire in the switching unit in the dash). She told me the RV service business did not work that way, and, oh, by the way, no part had been ordered for my MH because they didn't know it needed a part ordered. I told her it was one of her people who scheduled the appointment and told me they would have to order the part.

She supposedly ordered the part that day (the 28th) and said they would call when it was finished. Yesterday, October 5, I called to check the status. They said they were still waiting for the part to come in and had not been able to duplicate the camera issue. The guy on the phone told me he would check on the status of the part and send me an e-mail informing me when they expect it to be delivered. I am still waiting for that e-mail.

Bottom line, although I have had minor issues, most things work exactly as advertised so far, so we are happy with our ACE. We are not happy with the service from our dealer, although I am figuring out quickly it is probably as good as any other dealer's service system. The whole industry seems to be providing shoddy service and no one cares (except the MH owner). Even the salesman, who was one of the nicest guys I have ever met (and a nephew of the owner), immediate turned us over to the finance guy once we said, "We'll take it," and hasn't seemed anxious to see or talk with us since. I saw him once in the parts department and he tried to ignore until I walked up and spoke to him. Then, he reluctantly said hello and then rushed away. Last week, when I dropped it off to get it worked on, I waited in the showroom area for my wife to come pick me up and he had to walk past me several times. He never made eye contact or tried to acknowledge me until I spoke to him finally. It is obvious to me they know once they get you in the unit, you are probably not going to be happy with the quality of service you are going to be getting and don't want the buyers to come complain to them -
their job with you was complete when you said, "Yes." I spent a little more money than I would have by going elsewhere to buy, but thought it was better to buy close to home where I could get it serviced. I should have driven the 800 miles and gotten a better deal - the service sucks anyway. Next time I will.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:21 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
I'm a do gooder also. Very minor problems that my dealer fixed. I was,also asked " whens your next trip" told them take your time it xmas time im not in a hurry. 3 weeks late it was done and done correctly.

From ive read about unhappy owners isnt really with Thor but with the service department at the dealers. Guess im lucky my dealer seems to be good.

I call Thors curtomer service everytime i have a question about my unit. They always help and are a pleasure to deal with. Recently i had a issue with a couple items. Even though im out of warranty the rep sent me the parts for free. The cheapest i could find the parts online was over $700. Thats great customer service.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:05 PM   #14

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Our 2017 Gemini, though not problem free, has had mostly minor issues, nothing the dealer has not been able to handle. We are approaching the one year mark, and its currently at the dealer with its final punch list of warrantee items, plus I am having a lot of equipment added, while its there.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:34 PM   #15

THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I'm a do gooder also. Very minor problems that my dealer fixed. I was,also asked " whens your next trip" told them take your time it xmas time im not in a hurry. 3 weeks late it was done and done correctly.

From ive read about unhappy owners isnt really with Thor but with the service department at the dealers. Guess im lucky my dealer seems to be good.

I call Thors curtomer service everytime i have a question about my unit. They always help and are a pleasure to deal with. Recently i had a issue with a couple items. Even though im out of warranty the rep sent me the parts for free. The cheapest i could find the parts online was over $700. Thats great customer service.

Jerry
halfprice, I wouldn't call my dealer "bad." It's just that they have bought into what I would call an unacceptable system. Their reasoning for the appointment system working like it does is because so many just drive in and say they have a problem and need it fixed right then. My take is they should be placed after all those who had scheduled that time. The term "appointment" is meaningless. From now on, my plan when I have an issue is to just drop in, tell them we were heading out on a camping trip with RV Park reservations, the thing broke down, and I need it fixed right then. That seems to be the only way to get it done in a timely way. Since their appointment system is just to get on their lot, why not keep the lot empty, except for those drop-ins, and call me when they are ready to do the work. Then, I can drive over and they can start work on it. With their current system, when I make an appointment, they have no idea how long it is going to sit there before they even assign it to a technician. If anyone can give a logical explanation for that kind of system I will listen.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 10-07-2017, 05:18 PM   #16

Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #6291
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopshop View Post
the only time thor or camping world cares is when you get a lemon law lawyer. then the phone rings off the hook. don't be fooled, by some do-gooders on this forum, thor products are junk. get a lawyer and hold them accountable.

I take offense to your comment. I have a Thor product and after doing my due diligence I am more then satisfied with my purchase. All issues I have had I have been proactive and achieved satisfactory results.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:23 PM   #17

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post
I should have driven the 800 miles and gotten a better deal - the service sucks anyway. Next time I will.
Based on what I read about RV problems, RV service and google reviews of the Thor dealers close (close being 90 miles), and who do not do any real PDI with the customer, I opted to buy 400 miles away at MHSRV. I also considered Reliable in Springfield, because they also have an orientation lot and encourage you to stay a day or two on site to get manufacturing issues identified and fixed.

While I have no doubt I could have gotten a better price from the local dealer than the initial exchange, the fact is they were $15k higher. So, let's say I got them down to only $10k or even $5k (I doubt, but maybe) higher, that pays for a lot of out of pocket fixes.

My hot water heater isn't working on gas. I trouble shot it enough to figure it's either the circuit board or igniter. I bought both from Amazon for $160. While I hope to then get the dealership, Thor or Atwood to send me a replacement for whichever it turns out to be, even if i can't, I'm money ahead in multiple ways.

First, if I have to take it to a dealer to be troubleshot and then repaired, I'm looking at a round trip of 180 miles or about $60 in gas. That assumes they commit to working on it while I'm there. If not, I tow the jeep and will also have a round trip on the Jeep, so that's another $30.

So, gas alone, not to mention time, aggravation and possibly being without the RV for weeks, is likely to be $90 give or take. So, that leaves $70 extra out of pocket, which comes out of the $5-10k savings I got from going out of town.

My plan is to deal with small stuff myself or via a mobile tech, and then for bigger things that I can live without fixing immediately, but should be dealt with (like the inverter being wired wrong, drivers seat being messed up, seals below bedroom slide messed up and think slide will have to come out to fix), I'll likely just drive up to Wakarusa (Thor service center) with a list of items, likely in the spring.

I also can't say enough, and I know it's still early, about the salesman I worked with at MHSRV. He said several times, if you have a problem, call me, even if you forgot how to do something, in many cases, I can just walk you through it, and if not, I'll get you on the phone with a tech to troubleshoot it remotely. Last night, I brought it to the house to prepare for a trip and one of the strips of slide weather stripping slipped to the ground. sent him a text and he told me something to try to fix it.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:37 PM   #18

THOR #8503
tnedator, glad to gear you've had a good experience with MHSRV. I have heard nothing but good things about them. I seriously considered going there, but decided to stay closer to home. I think that might have been a mistake, especially since it looks more and more like I might be starting a third "career" as a motor home repairman in my driveway. Not what I had planned when I started this new aspect of life as a 70 year-old retiree with a new toy/hobby.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 10-07-2017, 06:18 PM   #19

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post
tnedator, glad to gear you've had a good experience with MHSRV. I have heard nothing but good things about them. I seriously considered going there, but decided to stay closer to home. I think that might have been a mistake, especially since it looks more and more like I might be starting a third "career" as a motor home repairman in my driveway. Not what I had planned when I started this new aspect of life as a 70 year-old retiree with a new toy/hobby.
After all I read, I decided that anything major, or even non critical nuisance, really needs to be dealt with by Thor service if you can make the trip. That and the fact there will be issues, regardless of brand. Last week my sister and brother in law made the 6 hour drive to Red Bay (Tiffen) to take a number for yet another round of repairs (probably made 8, 10 or maybe 12 plus trips there). The way it works there is you have to show up in person, get a slot, and then they will give you a few days notice when your slot is approaching to get there fore service to be done. Not a bad system if you are close.

Anyway, based on everything I read and the not too impressive reviews of most of the Little Rock dealers (one had mixed reviews on forums and Google and I think they would be ok, but not sure), I just decided that if I was going to do this RV thing, I would need to try and do as much myself as possible, and beyond that, possibly pay a mobile tech for small things, and for stuff that needs to be fixed, but doesn't prevent using it, I would keep a list and make a trip either to MHSRV (7 hours) or Thor Service (10 hours) as needed.

Sounds good in theory, but we'll see how it works in practice, as I'm only a little over two weeks into this RV ownership thing.

I'm looking at that purchase savings as a "savings account" to pay for warranty items out of pocket, or get MHSRV or Thor to send me a part and either install myself or pay a mobile tech to install.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:55 PM   #20

THOR #8503
Sounds like a good plan to me, tnedator.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704