Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2018, 02:23 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37lx
State: Oklahoma
THOR #10261
Towing toad

Hey folks, I’ve got a question for you. When towing do I need to be in tow mode (engaged) the entire time or only when starting off or slowing down? Thanks. The Jeep goes to shop for tow plate install next week.

Old 09-22-2018, 02:39 AM   #2

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
I don't know what "tow mode" is. I hook up the car, leave it in neutral, brake off, and drive the motorhome as usual.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:03 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
"Tow mode" or more accurately Tow/Haul Mode is a transmission mode that has been in trucks for years. Normally engaged by pressing a button on the end of the transmission lever, it changes the performance characteristics of the transmission, mostly how/when it shifts, to make it more appropriate when towing or hauling a large load.

Do you need to use it? No. Should you use it? Yes, when it assists your driving situation. Some people go into Tow/Haul mode in their MH as soon as they start it, others never use it.

I don't use it even when towing when I am accelerating or driving on fairly flat roads. I will use it when I am coming to a stop as it causes the transmission to downshift more aggressively and assists the brakes. That is why it should always be used in mountainous driving, plus you can force a downshift by tapping the brake.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:17 AM   #4

THOR #10261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
"Tow mode" or more accurately Tow/Haul Mode is a transmission mode that has been in trucks for years. Normally engaged by pressing a button on the end of the transmission lever, it changes the performance characteristics of the transmission, mostly how/when it shifts, to make it more appropriate when towing or hauling a large load.

Do you need to use it? No. Should you use it? Yes, when it assists your driving situation. Some people go into Tow/Haul mode in their MH as soon as they start it, others never use it.

I don't use it even when towing when I am accelerating or driving on fairly flat roads. I will use it when I am coming to a stop as it causes the transmission to downshift more aggressively and assists the brakes. That is why it should always be used in mountainous driving, plus you can force a downshift by tapping the brake.

Tfryman thanks for the information! I was just wondering when most folks use the tow/haul mode when towing their toad of choice.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:24 AM   #5

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
I will usually use the tow/haul when there is stop and go traffic and when the drive is hilly or windy out. If the highway is pretty flat and the traffic is light then I will take it off the tow/haul.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:37 PM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
I save Tow/Haul for steep downgrades. Engaging Tow/Haul will change your shift points so your transmission holds the gears to higher RPMs on level our upgrades, besides using the engine to help hold you back on the downgrades. I have yet to see a hill in Florida that requires Tow/Haul.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:14 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I use it all the time on the two lane roads of Texas. Otherwise the RV is 'sluggish' going up and down the 'hills'. When I get on the interstate and have miles of flat land to cover, I don't use it.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:42 AM   #8

THOR #10261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I use it all the time on the two lane roads of Texas. Otherwise the RV is 'sluggish' going up and down the 'hills'. When I get on the interstate and have miles of flat land to cover, I don't use it.

Thanks for the info!