Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2019, 03:07 AM   #101

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: XTE 34st Diesel Pusher
State: Oklahoma
THOR #5009
Inverter problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief90 View Post
My inverter will not come on, 2016 Thor Tuscany 40 AX Xte,

any help would be appreciated, I reviewed the owner's manual and the Magnum manual, somewhere there is a reset switch and I can't find it.

Thanks

Sue
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS...
Follow the below steps to test the function of the F50-ATS.
BEFORE TESTING:
Ensure air conditioning units and other high current users are switched o. It is
harmful for the transfer switch to switch over power sources while under load.
Shut down all power sources to the RV
Label power sources clearly that testing is in progress.
If accessible, remove the lid of the ATS to visually check function.
ATS FUNCTION TESTING:
1. Plug in the shore power cable and turn on the dockside shore power breaker, as soon
as the shore side breaker is turned on you will hear a clunk noise immediately as the
shore power contactor engages inside the ATS, power is then supplied to the RV from
the ATS line out feed.
2. Turn o the shore side power breaker to shut down power to the RV, you will hear a
clunk as the Shore power contactor disconnects (keep the shore power cord connected
with no power for further testing).
3.Start the Generator in the RV and wait for it to run up to speed, as soon as power is fed
to the ATS from the generator the green LED indicator light on the internal ATS PCB will
illuminate, the ATS has a 20-30 second time delay before engaging the internal contactor
to allow for the generator to warm up. After 20-30 seconds you will hear a clunk noise as
the generator contactor engages inside the ATS, power from the generator is now supplied
to the RV from the ATS line out feed.
4. Shut down the generator
ATS SWITCHING TESTING:
To test the switching function after both function tests have passed:
1. Turn on the shore cord shore side breaker to engage the shower power contactor, power
is now being supplied to the RV by the shore power.
2.Start the generator and wait for it to warm up, after 20-30 seconds you will hear a clunk as
the unit automatically switches over power sources from shore power to generator.
3.Turn o shore power from the shore side breaker and conrm the generator is feeding the
line out, the power supply should not be interrupted by doing this.
4.Turn on the shore power shore side breaker again which will engage the shore power
contactor. While the shore power is still connected and on, then turn o the generator, this
will then disengage the generator contactor and automatically switch to running on shore
power feed.
TROUBLESHOOTING YOUR F50-ATS:
In the event of a problem with your F50-ATS, contact a qualied electrician for advice.
COMMON PROBLEMS:
Transfer switch will not switch over from Shore Power to Generator feed.
Possible cause: Bad PCB.
How to check: Open the transfer Switch lid so the PCB in visible, do not put your hands or
touch anything parts inside the box.
Turn on the generator so electric is being fed to the ATS, using a multi meter check for
correct voltage at the incoming generator wiring terminals.
If the correct power is being fed to the ATS from the Generator the ATS PCB’s the green
LED illuminated. After 30 seconds if the contactor does not close
If the PCB’s green LED is not illuminated while generator voltage is present indicates
the PCB has been damaged and will need replaced.
Contact your nearest Furrion Dealer, RV OEM or email support@furrion.com
POSSIBLE CAUSES FOR F50-ATS PROBLEMS:
INGRESS OF FOREIGN OBJECTS INSIDE ENCLOSURE:
Reasons:
Poor installation can cause wood chippings, sawdust, metal lings, or other foreign
matter to enter the case.
Unsuitable mounting position can cause condensation, moisture or dirt to enter the
enclosure,
Potential Damage: Contactor does not function properly, burned out coils, Metal particles
can cause re or short the PCB.
FLUCTUATING POWER OR POWER SPIKES:
Reasons:
Lighting strikes,
Unbalance load at park,
Park Black outs
Utility service at park is undersized or located next to an industrial environment.
Potential Damage: burnt out contactor coils, PCB damage, pitted contacts, further
damage to the RV.
LOW VOLTAGE POWER SUPPLY:
Reasons:
Bad or corroded electrical connection,
Extension cord length too long
Operating too much load for power available.
Park power supply insucient
Potential Damage: Pitted contacts, burnt out contactor coils, further damage to the RV.
GENERATOR FEED:
Reasons:
Generator requires maintenance,
Generator Governors or throttle problems
Generator Auto Start/Stop failure.
Potential Damage: Burnt out contactor coils, PCB damage, pitted contacts, further
damage to the RV.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:56 AM   #102

Model: Tuscany 45AT
State: Illinois
THOR #5822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Home View Post
Our fireplace has been intermittent since day 1. It just seems to come and go for no apparent reason. Seems when we needed it most, it wouldn't work. I finally put the puzzle together today. Not sure if it's intentional but it probably is given what I have learned.

Both the electric water heater (in the Aqua Hot unit) and the fireplace are on the same circuit breaker. This circuit is one that is first to go on the load controller (labeled water heater) if your load approaches max. However, our fireplace would go out even if no loads were shed.
Hello,

I did not see any other direct replies to your inquiry in the thread, so I thought I'd offer my comments.

We also have a Tuscany 45AT, purchased in early 2016. We have done a lot of traveling, visiting all of the 48 contiguous states since we bought the motorhome. One of the "problems" we have encountered along the way was similar to yours, but rather than the fireplace, we discovered the same relationship between the clothes dryer and the induction cooktop.

There are two or three relays below the bed, near the fusebox, that control these shared circuits (AquaHot/Fireplace; Dryer/Cooktop). We discovered the this while lying in bed listening to the relay below our feet switching back and forth. In our case, the relay was tripping without the dryer operating. After a slight delay you would hear the cooktop "energize" as power was restored. It was very annoying. Thor Tech Support explained the circuit design and provided information so that I could replace the relay myself. As it turned out, the relay stopped malfunctioning, and I did not have to replace the component.

After this experience, I also recognized the link between the Electric Aqua Hot service and the Fireplace. We seldom use the Electric function, preferring to use the Diesel option (Burner) for heating and hot water, so it wasn't really a problem for us. But, there was a time early on when we had both Burner and Electric turned on and couldn't understand why the fireplace would not work.

I have never found any reference to the shared circuits in the Thor Instruction Manual. Tech Support was very helpful in explaining about the relays and how they worked. The cooktop is powered under "normal" conditions, and is disabled when the dryer is turned on. Likewise, the fireplace is powered under "normal" conditions, and is disabled when the Aqua Hot Electric switch is turned on.

By the way, the best way to get answers is by calling Tech Support during normal working hours. The email link from the Thor website is not very efficient. They might respond to your inquiry 2-3 days later.

Although it is a couple of months after your posting, I hope my reply is of some value to you.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:38 PM   #103

THOR #5822
2016 Thor Tuscany 45AT
Old 08-31-2019, 10:08 PM   #104

State: Texas
THOR #10626
Purchased a 2015 45 AT In January 2018 without warranty. This was my first Motorhome so I have learned a lot with the help of this forum even though I have just today got the kinks out of signing in maybe I will now be able to pass along some of my experiences. I am a retired mechanic and this has been a lot of therapy for me, but I will try not to be negative on anything, I made the purchase with my eyes wide open
Old 08-31-2019, 10:24 PM   #105

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsadberry View Post
Purchased a 2015 45 AT In January 2018 without warranty. This was my first Motorhome so I have learned a lot with the help of this forum even though I have just today got the kinks out of signing in maybe I will now be able to pass along some of my experiences. I am a retired mechanic and this has been a lot of therapy for me, but I will try not to be negative on anything, I made the purchase with my eyes wide open
Looking forward to your comments
Old 10-13-2019, 12:44 AM   #106

Model: Tuscany 40DX
State: California
THOR #16060
2017 Thor Tuscany, 40 AX XTE

Bought a few months ago and have been traveling ever since. Happy to help in any way I can .
Old 10-19-2019, 07:16 PM   #107

Model: DX 40
State: Oklahoma
THOR #12998
We have a 2018 Tuscany DX 40'
Old 04-22-2020, 03:54 AM   #108

State: New Hampshire
THOR #1689
2014 Thor Tuscany XTE MQ36

Hi,

Yes, put us in this sub-group.

We have made three round trips from NH to the Thor maintenance facility in Wakarusa simply because the Camping World experiences were simply not acceptable.

To better understand the quality control issues simply take a tour of any of the Thor facilities around Elkhart.

The warranty insurance is a joke. Every item is negotiated both in terms of the cost of the item and in terms of the labor costs. There are extensive delays while waiting for an adjuster to inspect rig, followed by wait time for the item to be delivered, followed by a waiting for shop time for the repair/replacement. It is a rare event when I receive sixty cents on the dollar for warranty work.

The 36MQ is a beautiful rig with a wonderful floor plan. However the rig is very flawed.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:05 AM   #109

THOR #17713
Wow this is great:. I have a 2013 Tuscany xte 36 mg.. I also have the wind noise,driver's side,had windshield and driver window caulked. Didn't help. Tile over engine compartment ,has a corner cut out large enough to insert 3 fingers to lift tile to gain access to engine compartment.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:27 PM   #110

Model: Tuscany XTE 40AX
THOR #13792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
How many Thor Tuscany & XTE owners do we have? Our builds are different from some of the other rigs inside & out and need to work together with helping each other out to learn about them.
RJ & Cheryl, Anaheim Hills, CA

2017 Thor Tuscany XTE 40 AX
Cranberry Exterior with Ivory Sonata Interior

We love it!
Old 08-31-2020, 02:43 PM   #111

THOR #6903
I have a Tuscany 42GX, 2016

Wind noise I get is from the side coming in through window seals if the wind is over 30 mph or so
Old 08-31-2020, 10:40 PM   #112

THOR #5822
Wind noise - driver's side

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnj2 View Post
Wow this is great:. I have a 2013 Tuscany xte 36 mg.. I also have the wind noise,driver's side,had windshield and driver window caulked. Didn't help. Tile over engine compartment ,has a corner cut out large enough to insert 3 fingers to lift tile to gain access to engine compartment.
I have a 2016 Tuscany 45AT. From the day we picked it up, until last year, the driver's side rear view mirror would shake like the dickens whenever our speed was above 30-40 mph. I thought it might be a loose mounting, but the Allen screw used for adjusting it was good and tight. I spoke to our local Thor repair manager (at Terry's RV in Frankfort, IL), and asked him to adjust the mirror slightly outwards. My theory was that at higher speeds, the air velocity between the windshield and the mirror housing was causing a serious amount of turbulence. It became more severe as our speed increased. The repair manager made the adjustment for me and the problem went away! I had not experienced a noise issue, but it could very well be the same root cause. Have someone adjust the mirror outwards, to increase the gap between the mirror and the windshield, and I'll bet that it reduces the noise for you.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:03 AM   #113

Model: Tuscany 42GX
THOR #9178
Thanks, definitely going to check the mirror just in case

Tuscany coaches are very nice
Old 09-03-2020, 12:51 AM   #114

THOR #5822
Mirror adjustment and wind noise

Sorry, I forgot to mention that we only moved it about two inches (increased the space between the side of the coach and the inside edge of the mirror by two inches). It was enough to quiet down the vibration by 98%. On the rare occasion where I drove over 70 mph (going down a long grade from a tall mountain) the vibration did pick up a little bit, but that could have been caused by many other things at that speed.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:08 PM   #115

THOR #6903
There is a mirror adjustment tool that came in my manual bag

Will giving a try
Old 09-03-2020, 04:16 PM   #116

THOR #5822
What does the tool look like? An offset Allen wrench? I did not receive such a tool with my coach.
Old 09-04-2020, 10:20 AM   #117

THOR #6903
Ramco and Velvac seem to be the two brands of mirrors used

I have a spanner wrench for the Ramco style and you must have Velvac which uses the two Allen screws

Have no idea which years or why the difference
Old 12-07-2020, 10:07 PM   #118

Model: Thor Tuscany XTE 40 GQ
THOR #21447

First time on the forum. I purchased a 2016 Thor Tuscany XTE 40 GQ new in 2016. Had several warranty issues. It seemed the first year it was in the shop as much as it was on the road. Our service center routinely had 6 to 8 week lead times AFTER waiting for an appointment. One item we did not address under warranty was a loud knocking in the drivers side slide out. I kept thinking I had packed something in the cabinets that was rolling around. It was loud enough to distract conversation on an otherwise quiet road. We finally had a non Thor authorized repair shop chase it down. He spent hours on the phone with Thor, Lippert? (the slide motor assembly manufacturer) and our extended warranty. They collectively had no clue. Finally I asked him to get a quote on the assembly to determine if i would just pay out of pocket to replace. The repair manager called Lippert parts, and the parts person said Lippert had just redesigned the assembly because of customer complaints of a knocking noise. He asked why Tech Support didn't know and she said "if you want to know about parts, call parts!". The newly installed assembly and motors has solved the knocking problem. The rig is beautiful and the floor plan is terrific. I do have a question. How do you handle the TOTAL lack of access in the sewer compartment for connecting the sewer hose to the drain? I have been rotating the drain, but repair guy said I'm risking ruing the seals in connections to the gray and black pipes. Any ideas?
My wife would say, "I'll buy one of those big busses "when pigs fly" . Whoo hoo look out for those flying pigs. She loves the rig too.
Old 12-08-2020, 02:51 AM   #119

Model: Tuscany 42GX
THOR #9178
It doesn't hurt to rotate the hose connector, been doing it for years

They are nice coaches
Old 12-16-2020, 10:30 PM   #120

Model: Tuscany 40KQ
State: Florida
THOR #2912
The newly installed assembly and motors has solved the knocking problem.

Whenpigsfly,

Can you tell me what parts were needed to resolve this slide knocking issue. My 2015 Tuscany has the same problem and nobody seems to know the cause or the solution to it.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote