Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-28-2019, 02:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #14837
Thor Vegas 2017 owners

I am considering buying a 2017 Vegas 25.2. I would like to hear comments from the owners and their experiences. I have read good reviews about other years but a few really bad reviews about the 2017 models. I am concerned if it’s wide spread problems or just a few lemons. Appreciate any comments you can share with me

Old 03-28-2019, 03:29 PM   #2

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris153 View Post
I am considering buying a 2017 Vegas 25.2. I would like to hear comments from the owners and their experiences. I have read good reviews about other years but a few really bad reviews about the 2017 models. I am concerned if it’s wide spread problems or just a few lemons. Appreciate any comments you can share with me
2017 Vegas Specs and Floorplan

I purchased a new Vegas '17 at the end of the '18 model year
So my coach sat on the dealer lot for 18mo (over 22 moths from production date)
Hence we paid 60% of suggested retail sell price (plus the sales tax and annual licensing fees)
We are extremely happy with it, no problems so far (knock on wood!)

That said, we like our '17 for the following reasons...
- price, price, price
- location of Convection oven (above counter vs below counter)
- Exhaust fan above cook top
- did i say price?

We disliked our '17 vs '18/19 for the following reasons...
- Small window above sink (vs large window in '18/19)
- Less counter space due to kitchen sink lip and cooktop above the countertop surface (vs flush mount on '18/19)
- Plastic sinks in kitchen and bath vs SS sinks on '18/19 (we have since changed out to flushmount stainless steel sinks in our coach)
- Cheap double handle bath faucet vs single handle in '18/19 (we have since changed out to single handle polished nickel faucet with matching soap dispenser..because there are two holes to fill in counter)

Everything else is virtually the same (Ford E450, floorplan, seats and cushions) except for the colors and cabinet design

Newer Vegas models are wired for solar + a 10amp controller (a $20 item)
Also, the newer Vegas models have a touch-screen for monitoring all of the systems in the coach

Finally...with the money saved by purchasing used, you might consider installing...
- a hydraulic leveling system
- anti-sway bars and/or SUMO springs
- hard wired inverter
- hard wired surge protector

Good luck with your purchase
Old 03-28-2019, 03:47 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Welcome to the site chris153.

I think you'll find the coach as good as the dealer you purchase it from. What I mean by that is: A good dealer will make anything you find wrong right...a bad one won't (and there are a lot of bad ones).

Having said that, our 2014 24.1 has held up to our use (and my tinkering) rather well.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:00 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I have a 2017 Axis and love it (same as Vegas except for front cap and some colors inside and out).

I purchased right when the 2018 came out so I was able to get a good price as well.

We had a long list of why we didnt like the 2018 (just like Taylorbob1 said above) included we hated the euro style cabinets (not our cup of tea - pun intended - lol). And a short list for the 2017 that for the most part can be corrected at home on the cheap (like Taylor said).

All of the Vegas / Axis from any year are about the same mechanically so none are less reliable than others.

The first models (14 abd 15) had a taller front windsheld that was pro to crack but I think in either 16 or 17 then changed it out. So far so good for my unit.

Plus the 2017 gained one more gear in the tranny (6 sp vs 5 sp) .... I feel that was important.

Expect to do a few mods and repairs inside coach (loose wires, screws, wood etc) but they have for the most part cheap and easy to fix.

Just make sure the of the expensive things work (slide out, drop down bunk, frig, heater, HW tank, stove, Genny, Ford engine etc) and you will be fine.

Oh yeah, check for signs of leaks on ceiling, walls, under all window, floor etc.

And always offer $5 to 10K less than the asking price.... you never know the might agree to it or counter offer something that you like.

Good luck.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:11 PM   #5

THOR #14837
Vegas 2017

Thank you for all the comments and good advise. It is much appreciated.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:04 AM   #6

Model: Vegas
State: Washington
THOR #12834
I have solar setup on my Vegas 2018 using the prewired wire, MPPT. Can i leave the disconnect on the solar and connect to shore power at the same time? I noticed that everytime i connect to shore power batteries are not charge.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:13 AM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Welcome! Join us at the rally in Ocala for part of this weekend! We'll have our 2016 25.2 there, and there may be another or two. There's a running thread on it with the details, or PM me.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:25 AM   #8

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_driver View Post
I have solar setup on my Vegas 2018 using the prewired wire, MPPT. Can i leave the disconnect on the solar and connect to shore power at the same time? I noticed that everytime i connect to shore power batteries are not charge.
Are you leaving the main switch by the door ON (Use) or in Store? Switch Must be in on (Use) position in order to charge the batteries with shore power.

You should be able to use both power sources at the same time (solar and shore). The converter will read the voltage and charge (or not charge) accordingly.

How do you know they are NOT charging? Are you looking at the factory battery charge level gauge? Try moving the swith to ON (USE) and see if that helps.

Put a multi meter on the batteries to see the voltage when hooked up to shore (and not hooked up) plus with the switch in Use and in Store and compare levels.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote