Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2017, 12:25 AM   #21

State: California
THOR #8451
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick kirby View Post
We've had a lot of minor things that had to go back to the dealer 2-3 times for proper repairs.

Check out the black water hook up and make them fix it or you'll never net your hose on, it's offset and no clearance. Look it over very carefully and don't sign any papers until it's properly fixed.

We're starting to love our coach all over again when we didn't have to worry about poor workmanship rearing its ugly head every day.

Thanks for the heads up. Anything else I should be aware of before signing on the dotted line? And since I know nothing about black water hookup. How much clearance is required.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:45 AM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: challenger 37YT
State: Michigan
THOR #6874
Have them hook a hose to the valve going through the floor access hatch like it's supposed to.
Have them run water and all electric items.
Be picky, it will save to time and trouble in the long run.
This was our first coach also, I didn't know squat and it bit me.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:48 AM   #23

THOR #8451
Thanks for your help. I will write all this down. Sure hope we don't get a lemon.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:51 AM   #24

THOR #8451
Also. I hate to admit but even when they do all of the above I am not sure what to look for other than something obvious like a leak or electric items not working.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:55 AM   #25

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by char View Post
Also. I hate to admit but even when they do all of the above I am not sure what to look for other than something obvious like a leak or electric items not working.
Do you know someone who is a seasoned Rv'er who can go with you for your PDI?
Old 08-03-2017, 12:55 AM   #26

THOR #6874
Thor Warranty Win

Make sure they put a door stop under the mirror across from the refrigerator or the bathroom door will hit it. Make sure the sliding bedroom door slides as it should. And also make sure the bifold door going from the bedroom to the bathroom operates , fits, and closes as it should. All those were issues we dealt with and the dealer took many weeks to fix. We still have framing for the kitchen drawers by the fridge that need fixed, but that will come later. Again, once you get what you paid for you will love your YT.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:57 AM   #27

THOR #6874
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post
Do you know someone who is a seasoned Rv'er who can go with you for your PDI?

Great call. I forgot to add that. And I would've paid someone to hold my hand because the whirlwind PDI was like information overload.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:59 AM   #28

THOR #8451
Not in Texas. Makes me wonder if I should pay the 17,000 more and purchase the RV in Elkhart where I know someone who repairs RV s
Old 08-03-2017, 01:03 AM   #29

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Not in Texas. Makes me wonder if I should pay the 17,000 more and purchase the RV in Elkhart where I know someone who repairs RV s
How about Lazy Days in AZ, will they match or come close to MHSRV.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:07 AM   #30

THOR #6874
I paid $119,000. For our 2017 Challenger YT in Michigan.
Maybe that gives you an idea of any difference.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:16 AM   #31

THOR #8451
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
How about Lazy Days in AZ, will they match or come close to MHSRV.

That's a thought. But I will call dealers near or in Elkhart and negotiate the best possible price. I think I will feel more comfortable taking a person who works for Keystone and builds and repairs RV s for a living. I know I would not be happy if I purchased this Motorhome and had endless issues. And we have family to stay with if we did need to take it in for service. So glad I posted my concerns on this Forum. No sense being penny wise and pound foolish.

I am assuming that the issues are with the build of the motorhome and not The driving components that are the issue with this unit. That I would need a mechanic for and since it will be new I won't be too concerned about that.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:22 AM   #32

THOR #8451
Quote:
Make sure they put a door stop under the mirror across from the refrigerator or the bathroom door will hit it. Make sure the sliding bedroom door slides as it should. And also make sure the bifold door going from the bedroom to the bathroom operates , fits, and closes as it should. All those were issues we dealt with and the dealer took many weeks to fix. We still have framing for the kitchen drawers by the fridge that need fixed, but that will come later. Again, once you get what you paid for you will love your YT.

Thanks Rick, I am making my list. I want everything fixed before I purchase. I think it will be helpful for me to take someone in Elkhart who works in the RV industry who will know everything to look for.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:26 AM   #33
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
You can download Ed's Axis/Vegas crowd sourced owner's manual:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html

It isn't specific to the Challenger but there is a lot of common things between them (and RVs/motorhomes in general). Plus it does have a decent PDI checklist.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:05 AM   #34

THOR #8451
Quote:

Rick. Just curious. The doors etc , were they working well when you first purchased the RV and then go bad, or you just didn't notice when you purchased your RV?
Old 08-03-2017, 09:21 AM   #35

THOR #6874
Quote:
Rick. Just curious. The doors etc , were they working well when you first purchased the RV and then go bad, or you just didn't notice when you purchased your RV?
They were bad at delivery, I was too dumb to open and shut them. Didn't realize quality control was and issue at the factory at the time. The bifold door was an inch too big for the jamb.
The pocket door rail was damaged at the RC show.
Both fridge doors had huge dings in them that wasn't there at the show. Took over two months to have them replaced.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:48 PM   #36

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #4843
My 2 cents. For $17,000 difference go for the money. While the selling dealer gives better service than one who did not sell you the motorhome, it is probably not worth $17,000. Remember, the factory warranty is only for 1 year. If the items are noted and Thor notified within the time period they have to honor. Thor will send you any repair parts you need. For $17,000, you can hire your own tech to do the work especially if the parts are free. Or, do the work yourself.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:15 PM   #37
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve70605 View Post
My 2 cents. For $17,000 difference go for the money. While the selling dealer gives better service than one who did not sell you the motorhome, it is probably not worth $17,000. Remember, the factory warranty is only for 1 year. If the items are noted and Thor notified within the time period they have to honor. Thor will send you any repair parts you need. For $17,000, you can hire your own tech to do the work especially if the parts are free. Or, do the work yourself.
Or if you find yourself near Wakarusa, IN--have Thor do the repairs (this does take planning, however, as their scheduling is a few months out).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:13 PM   #38
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve70605 View Post
The warranty items may need to be verified and documented by an authorized (Thor) service center before Thor will approve the warranty work.

Thor will not send customers any part needed under warranty. Thor did send me bulb seal to replace but refused to send me a new radio to replace myself. The first replacement radio was also bad so it took another trip for a third radio.

Bottom line is if you go for the money don't complain about the wait for service at a non-selling dealer. You may find yourself waiting service at an independent repair shop or waiting for service while being considered "space available" or "last in line" with buying customers having priority. When I had my Forest River the wait for service at the independent shop was longer than the wit at my selling dealer.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:41 PM   #39

THOR #8451
Thanks for all your help. One more question on the Challenger 37YT. We were planning on pulling a grand jeep Cherokee behind the motor home. Any issues with doing that?
Old 08-03-2017, 09:43 PM   #40

THOR #6874
Quote:
Thanks for all your help. One more question on the Challenger 37YT. We were planning on pulling a grand jeep Cherokee behind the motor home. Any issues with doing that?
I pull a Jeep Wrangler , I have to keep checking to make sure it's there. It pulls that easy.