Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2019, 10:50 PM   #81

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
When i get my coach back, ill havd to check for that little gem. Check the bolts holding toilet flanges to the floor if yoj ever see water their. I found the bolts used holding the toilet up from the seal. Thus the leaking, not to mention one of the gaskets between toilet and flange was missing. All good quality work!!����

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:14 PM   #82

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
THOR #14340
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thor.png
Views:	167
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	16593  
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:36 PM   #83

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
On our Hurricanes second trip to Wakarusa, we toured the facility where our coach was built. It was January. It was my wife and I, the tour guide and a person who was hireing in at a marketing position.
We were in there nearly 2 hours. I couldn’t believe the freedom I had to get up close and get a good look at things that I had had problems with, in particular the black tank and related plumbing. I came away believing the floor, walls, roof and end caps are done very well and were sound.
I noticed that they don’t appear to use templates for anything. A worker was drilling holes in the ceiling for lights. I didn’t see any markings or pattern. Same with walls, no placement templates or markings.
I expected more of a step by step assembly process. What seemed to me to be random assembly, helps me understand some of the crazy things I have found with our coach.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:57 PM   #84

THOR #13712
Thanks for the response. I wish that made me feel better about any quality, but it explains the lack of it! With no templates to use there us no danger of not complying to anything, thus no real QC issues as there is no standard. Freehand assembly processes are problematic to say the least. My guess is my coach will have to go back to the plant for corrective actions on the full wall slide.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:04 PM   #85

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
I was working under our bathroom sink cabinet yesterday and noticed that a couple of the internal framel pieces had had screws driven w/o pilot holes and had split the piece. So the problem also extends to their cabinet shop where you might expect(hope) a little more discipline in fabrication.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:03 PM   #86

THOR #13712
I have seen a several of these issues as well - if you check the "basement" compartments, you might find as I did, that one side or section is finished nicely and the flooring edges are covered by a trim piece. on the other side the aluminum overlay is missing allowing the rolled flooring to start to curl. I'm looking for a piece of channel aluminum to pop rivet to the compartment edge to cover this ugliness and maybe keep the floor from curling up all over. I love the floor plan but starting to wonder about the unit in total. The washer dryer cabinet pulling away from the slide wall has me very concerned about how safe the whole slide is!

Old 07-04-2019, 06:47 AM   #87

THOR #15863
Now in doubt . . .

Hello, I am new to the forum and contemplating the purchase of a 2020 Synergy 24SK. Based on what I've seen here, should I be looking at a different product line?
Old 07-04-2019, 10:31 AM   #88

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
I feel sorry for anybody with theses problems. This is why I buy only used. 3rd unit. BUT if you think it is a Thor only problem you are sadly mistaken. I have been to many forums and all these problems are across all brands in the RV industry. These story's are word for word the same across EVERY manufacturer.

If everyone would join a forum before they buy then nobody would buy new and the manufacturers would have to change their ways and the prices would go up. It's not gonna change until the Japanese get into the business and kick our ass just like they did with the auto industry. Remember when cars were junk after 60,000 miles.

If you don't stop piece work nothing is gonna change.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:19 PM   #89

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by copythat View Post
Hello, I am new to the forum and contemplating the purchase of a 2020 Synergy 24SK. Based on what I've seen here, should I be looking at a different product line?
Find a floorplan and model that best suits your needs. All manufacturers use practically all the same parts from the same suppliers. The post immediately following yours sums it up. He's correct about the state of the RV industry. However, I only buy new for the reasons he only buys used. Find what is best for you and enjoy the journey with an open mind and a sense of humor.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:29 PM   #90

THOR #13712
I've bought new and used, both have issues, but buying used i have money to get things fixed on my schedule not the warranty managers- as in months!!!
Pretty much talked with people with all similar issues as parts are often junk, assembly is crsp an QC is a foreign concept to most manufacturers. We have been 3k miles this trip in our 2018 Palazzo and it is working great. I expect some issues like the slide relay fault we had first night out, and hope to be able to fix most things myself with help from this forum. Expect issues. But rejoice in your freedom to havd the adventures we do as we travel. Happy 4th everyone, travel safely.

Old 08-04-2019, 04:39 PM   #91

Model: Windsport 34E
THOR #13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
Finish carpentry with a SawsAll....

First picture is the edge of our slide after we removed the couch to replace it with RecPro recliners. We covered it (and the face of the slide) with some hardwood.

Second is under the bathroom cabinet where the wiring from the control center comes down through the wall and off to wherever the wiring goes. This is a hidden space, but reflects a general antipathy to quality.
I just installed Repro seats and found the same thing. The good news is I found a bunch of extra screws for other repairs. :-)
Old 08-05-2019, 02:20 AM   #92

State: California
THOR #16236
I am a new THOR forum member. I am making a decision between a THOR Aria 3401 and a Tiffin Allegro RED 33. This post was an eye opener. Having been a boater for a decade, I understand there are thousands of opportunities for manufacturing mistakes on such a complex piece of equipment— but if this is a systematic problem for THOR along with fixing warranty issues— I think the decision would be made for me.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts or insights.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:45 AM   #93
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
I am a new THOR forum member. I am making a decision between a THOR Aria 3401 and a Tiffin Allegro RED 33. This post was an eye opener. Having been a boater for a decade, I understand there are thousands of opportunities for manufacturing mistakes on such a complex piece of equipment— but if this is a systematic problem for THOR along with fixing warranty issues— I think the decision would be made for me.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts or insights.

Thor has their issues, but so does Tiffin - and every other manufacturer. It’s an industry issue. Find a Tiffin forum and see what their experiences are.
Best advice I can give regardless of brand:
- a THOROUGH PDI - try EVERYTHING. Take your time. And don’t sign papers/pay until everything is fixed.
- a good dealer... as this is really your warranty experience and there will likely be some things a PDI can’t catch.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:51 AM   #94

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
We camped next to a Tiffin, Allegro a while back. The owner came over to talk because he had previously owned a Thor, Hurricane. He said he was happy with his Hurricane and liked the look and floor plan of our 34J. He made the comment that Thor uses the same furnace, water heater, converter, etc. that was in his Tiffin. The inside finish on the Allegro was noticeably nicer, but for us and our budget, it was the 30k difference in price.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:52 PM   #95

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbadger777 View Post
We camped next to a Tiffin, Allegro a while back. The owner came over to talk because he had previously owned a Thor, Hurricane. He said he was happy with his Hurricane and liked the look and floor plan of our 34J. He made the comment that Thor uses the same furnace, water heater, converter, etc. that was in his Tiffin. The inside finish on the Allegro was noticeably nicer, but for us and our budget, it was the 30k difference in price.

Yup. You CAN get a nicer coach, and maybe if it’s your full time home it’s worth it. But for must of us who are occasional, short term users the compromises are worth the savings. Any coach can have major issues but most of the frustrations on the site are easily fixed and once fixed it’s fixed. I would buy another Thor.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:27 AM   #96

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: British Columbia
THOR #16278
I have noticed quality issues that make my OCD head spinning such as two out of four screws half stripped half in holding the front cap on(look inside the hood on each side of the grill. But I came from a Fleetwood and it was no better. The wiring and sloppy assembly has me with serious concerns. I don't think any of them are any better. I went over to help a friend upgrade his 100k toy hauler and the wiring was seriously scary.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:04 PM   #97

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
This picture sums up Thor for me.
I'm not much of a whiner nor do I expect Taj Mahal at motel six pricing.

I don't know a single person that a certain model rv was thrust upon them.
It was your choice, your right, obligation, and allowed opportunity to pre inspect.
I think it often even requires a signature to release the vehicle after your PDI.

Why don't you sell it, and buy the rv with the build quality you expect?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0717191843.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	19615  
Old 08-14-2019, 05:41 PM   #98
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
This picture sums up Thor for me.
I'm not much of a whiner nor do I expect Taj Mahal at motel six pricing.

I don't know a single person that a certain model rv was thrust upon them.
It was your choice, your right, obligation, and allowed opportunity to pre inspect.
I think it often even requires a signature to release the vehicle after your PDI.

Why don't you sell it, and buy the rv with the build quality you expect?
I agree with you up until the "Why don't you sell it, and buy the rv with the build quality you expect?"

Selling an RV shortly after purchasing it creates a major dent in the pocketbook and most people do not see the "build quality" details until after the RV is home and things start falling apart that you expect should not fall apart or you peak behind the access doors and or under the bench seats and find all the "extra parts" and trash Thor (and other manufacturers) have left for you. There's no excuse for that shoddy work and switching brands looking for a coach built today that doesn't have these problems will get you broke fast.
I look at RVs as a kit: It's up to me to finish what the manufacturer could/would not to the level I expect and to add things to make it work better for me. Some peoples kits come pre-assembled with better workmanship than others. My kit works to my needs at this point in time but tomorrow I may find another piece that needs reassembling to my expectations.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:52 PM   #99

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I too, see mine as a kit.
I don't see it as something I spent so much on that it erases all alternatives.
It's why I don't complain.

Here's a fun quote I'd like someone to guess the origin:
'if you're afraid Fred, you'll have to overlook it. You knew the job was dangerous when you took it.'

I started with the basic kit, and happy someone else did the assembly and happy that all I have to do is the mundane things like tighten, replace and zip tie. If anyone is over their head by replacing a screw or moving a pipe Make life happy and bow out.

The members here who confuse Thor with appliance or accessory manufacturers is especially exhausting.