Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2018, 07:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Tiny Portable Washer

Has anyone here tried a little portable washer like this in their MH? My DW likes being able to keep up with laundry rather than taking a huge amount to a laundromat. https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-P...ustomerReviews

Old 10-18-2018, 08:39 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
doubtful, though the only way to know is to try one... most folks probably aren't willing to only wash a few small items at the time... we're all so used to doing to 'whole' laundry at once ; )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:43 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Did you see this?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:07 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
"Less junk, more journey" YouTuber's also use this small machine and claim it works well and they like it very much.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:30 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
There are all kinds of washing machines for folks on the go. If you don't want to use up your precious electricity/battery look on Amazon for the Wonderwash. It's a handcranker.

For the DIY there's the homemade 5-gallon bucket with a small hole cut in the top to accommodate a bathroom plunger. You use it as if you were making butter the old fashion way.

And, last but no least, there's the 5-gallon pail with water and detergent that sets in the shower/tub as you go down the road. The motion of the RV acts as the agitator.

But with all three you still have to rinse and hand wring the clothes before hanging to dry. But you can multi-purpose the pail and use it to wash the RV.

Me-I believe in the quarter method when on the road. That's a week's worth of clothes, box of detergent pods and a roll of quarters. That's a good time to do some outside RV maintenance
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:42 PM   #6

THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
doubtful, though the only way to know is to try one... most folks probably aren't willing to only wash a few small items at the time... we're all so used to doing to 'whole' laundry at once ; )
You probably have the luxury of full size units in your Pallazo.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:42 PM   #7

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
Got a lot of pill bottles from the doctor over the years. Most of the meds are out of date if any were left. Those 'bottles' hold about 10 dollars of quarters and you get maybe 4-5 of them for laundry, toll roads, sodas, candy ....etc and put them in your RV and car.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:50 PM   #8

THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calman View Post
There are all kinds of washing machines for folks on the go. If you don't want to use up your precious electricity/battery look on Amazon for the Wonderwash. It's a handcranker.

For the DIY there's the homemade 5-gallon bucket with a small hole cut in the top to accommodate a bathroom plunger. You use it as if you were making butter the old fashion way.

And, last but no least, there's the 5-gallon pail with water and detergent that sets in the shower/tub as you go down the road. The motion of the RV acts as the agitator.

But with all three you still have to rinse and hand wring the clothes before hanging to dry. But you can multi-purpose the pail and use it to wash the RV.

Me-I believe in the quarter method when on the road. That's a week's worth of clothes, box of detergent pods and a roll of quarters. That's a good time to do some outside RV maintenance
LOL, my DW won't be helping on the RV maintenance, so that doesn't solve her sittin' in a less than clean laundromat in a strange town. :/
Old 10-18-2018, 09:56 PM   #9

THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Having a Genny and an inverter on board I'm not worried about electrikity. Besides, we're thinking of when we are plugged in to shore power anyway. I suppose a person could do a load going down the road if ya wanted too.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:09 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
This is a pretty interesting way to deal with the washing chores.
But my Missus still prefers throwing out the dirty clothes, and buying new ones!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:12 PM   #11

THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
But my Missus still prefers throwing out the dirty clothes, and buying new ones!
Why hasn't my wife thought of that?! Oh, that's right...the money tree died!
Old 10-18-2018, 10:18 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I think that some of those lotteries are getting kind of close to a one billion dollar payout...

You could plant a whole new orchard!
Old 10-18-2018, 10:25 PM   #13

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calman View Post

Yeah, think I heard something like that , from Stienbeck's, 'Travels with Charley, in search of America'. Old style 60s travel.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:30 PM   #14

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Well, I have been accused of wearing the same shirt the next day while on vacation, but the 'whites?', not happening.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:37 PM   #15

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
we full timed for 3 years and only used laundr-o-mats... usually near the shopping and grocery store areas anyway....they're not hard to find, and in a few hours you are done...

I personally wouldn't care for the loss of room of onboard units, or having to manage the water usage and extra dumping that go with them - especially when off-grid.
We also found that many rv parks and campgrounds have their own laundry units, as well.

Of course, if you're truly off-grid and far away from any areas where other options might exists, a unit might not only be 'handy', but a must.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:56 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
But if you're that far "Off-Grid": the only person you're liable to be offending; will be yourself...
Old 10-18-2018, 11:09 PM   #17

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
Has anyone here tried a little portable washer like this in their MH? My DW likes being able to keep up with laundry rather than taking a huge amount to a laundromat. https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-P...ustomerReviews
We have the 3843 model and it worked great on our 10 day trip this past summmer.....with three girls and my wife we ran two loads every two days. We got it for 50 on market place. It drys the cloths really good.

It saved me this past year when my washer at home broke and I had to wait a week for parts.

We usually run it in the shower and use the shower head to fill it.

I did the quarters think at Disney two years ago and after shelling out 30 dollars and that was not the dryer ....we bought it.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:13 PM   #18
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
Having a Genny and an inverter on board I'm not worried about electrikity. Besides, we're thinking of when we are plugged in to shore power anyway. I suppose a person could do a load going down the road if ya wanted too.
Did you watch the video? It's the same washer you linked at Amazon. It's only "Solar" because he charges his battery bank by solar and uses an inverter to power the washer.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:22 PM   #19

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Did you watch the video? It's the same washer you linked at Amazon. It's only "Solar" because he charges his battery bank by solar and uses an inverter to power the washer.
Ha, Ha! I remember a long time ago from Navy days and how they used to tie knots around mop handles at certain distances in the handle & drag in the wake of a ship to clean them. Well, there we were on the sponson and the Bosn tied the knots on the mops, threw them out into the wake...... and watched them disapear because he forgot to tie the rope to the ship. He just shrugged his shoulders.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:59 PM   #20

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason61 View Post
Ha, Ha! I remember a long time ago from Navy days and how they used to tie knots around mop handles at certain distances in the handle & drag in the wake of a ship to clean them. Well, there we were on the sponson and the Bosn tied the knots on the mops, threw them out into the wake...... and watched them disapear because he forgot to tie the rope to the ship. He just shrugged his shoulders.
Come to think of it, did hear something about a something or other that was following us. Wonder if they got the mops wrapped around..... A clean sweep! That's what it was.