Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2019, 02:54 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
I don't really see Thor advertising or promoting any of their units as entry-level?
Probably the wrong term to use, and I hope everyone understands I meant no disrespect to anyone's choice of RV's or the money they spent to acquire them.

Buying into the Class A market isn't generally an inexpensive decision. I unconsciously define the term "entry level" as the minimum one must spend to get a new Class A motor home. In "Thorland", I would consider that to be between $115K-$135K. Maybe a little less if your lucky.

But again, I didn't mean to use the term "entry level" in any derogatory manner. Hell, I've been driving a 15 year old, $20K WindSport for the last 6 months. That my friends, gives the term "entry level" a whole new definition.

2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 03:00 PM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
My point is .... There is no "Entry Level" .... Quality and Craftsmanship should be the same on every unit they put out.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 03:23 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Some comic relief (and a bit of reality...) in RV purchases.

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:18 PM   #24

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
There's "entry level" in everything! Sears well defined it in the 50's as "Good, Better, Best" in most everything the offered. Homes can be all brick or "brick front". MH construction can be wood studs with wood trusses or all welded aluminum construction. You can opt for fiberglass with decals or full body paint. Entry level doesn't mean you're a cheapo or that a particular product is a POS...it just offers a price level for all budgets and price is totally based on cost to manufacture and quality of components...however...the build quality should be consistent across the board.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:00 PM   #25

THOR #14340
Quote:
My point is .... There is no "Entry Level" .... Quality and Craftsmanship should be the same on every unit they put out.
Agreed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Some comic relief (and a bit of reality...) in RV purchases.
lol, great video Bob!
Old 08-31-2019, 06:10 AM   #26

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
The Key Word is "Should" me thinks.......
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:00 AM   #27

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
I could have, but it would cost me at least $20K more for the new gas coach than I paid for the used Diesel Phaeton. Put them side-by-side and the Phaeton has soooo much more to offer.

I forget what thread it was in, but at the time I was adamant about buying older quality vs new entry level. Just no way I'm going to spend hard-earned money (or even easily earned money) on a new coach, just to spend a year sorting out nonsense that the factory could have (and should have) taken care of before it left for public consumption.

If a couch manufacture wants my money, they're going to need to earn it. And in my opinion, they're all getting a little too lax in the QC department.
did you ever say what year the tiffin is??? i'm guessing you got a roadmaster chassis???tiffin is top of the line in my book,,, I've loved everyone I've owned...my problem is I have to stay 34' and under... I had a new Fleetwood excursion, and a new pace arrow... both freight shakers... my alpine with 400hp , even though 14 yrs older..put both to shame..all the ones I've owned with 6.7 truck motors struggled in the power dept... 38-40 mph up 6% grades...sparten, roadmaster, peak, to name a few.....the way to go...
Old 08-31-2019, 11:04 AM   #28

THOR #12329
Quote:
lol... not true... I bought a 2018 winniebago "INTENT"...one step above owning a tent..when I talked to winniebago,.. they said... what do you expect... you bough an entry level coach...
Old 08-31-2019, 11:09 AM   #29

THOR #12329
Quote:
Thank you, K0LCB. Yep, mine dropped down a gear or two as well, but listening to that V-10 screaming as I inched up the mountain just wasn't for me. It might be different if I only occasionally encountered a mountain grade, but where I live I'm surrounded by mountains regardless of which way I decide to travel.

LOL, thanks SS. But for the time being, I'm still the owner of a Windsport as well, so I'm gonna be a "part time SOB"
It would be nice to hear how fast...(well) the tiffin did up the same grade....and also is it a 8.3... or 6.7 engine???
Old 08-31-2019, 01:02 PM   #30
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Agreed !

lol, great video Bob!
. I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waiter, and please try the veal...
Old 08-31-2019, 02:18 PM   #31

THOR #14340
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasruv24.1 View Post
did you ever say what year the tiffin is??? i'm guessing you got a roadmaster chassis???tiffin is top of the line in my book,,, I've loved everyone I've owned...my problem is I have to stay 34' and under... I had a new Fleetwood excursion, and a new pace arrow... both freight shakers... my alpine with 400hp , even though 14 yrs older..put both to shame..all the ones I've owned with 6.7 truck motors struggled in the power dept... 38-40 mph up 6% grades...sparten, roadmaster, peak, to name a few.....the way to go...
Lol, “Freight Shaker”. I hadn’t heard that term, but then again, I’ve not owned a diesel MH before. Did I make a mistake getting one built on the Freightliner XC chassis?

The Tiffin is a 2009 model with a 6.7 turbo diesel. It’s not really about faster speeds, it’s more about the torque to comfortable (and quietly) traverse the mountains with a loaded MH, while pulling a 5,500 lb Jeep. The V-10 was working great on the open road, just didn't like it going up the mountain grades.

I paid $96K for the Tiffin with 18,000 miles. I could have spent another $20K and bought a new Hurricane with V-10 (and 6 speed), but I prefer the older coaches with higher end amenities, diesel engine, etc. And while it’s not brand new, it’s a very nice MH, and most importantly, an affordable cash purchase.

So, I’ll re-home the 2004 35D Windsport I’ve been working on and start the process of learning about diesels. If I learn as much about this one as I did the last one, I should be a pretty smart fellow in about 6 months…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	09.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	19969   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	19970  

Name:	16.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	19971   Click image for larger version

Name:	58.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	19972  

Old 08-31-2019, 03:27 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
You can call Red Bay, and they'll go out of their way to help you!
(I have to call Winfield for mine. )

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1567265178
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gunny 02.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	19974  
Old 08-31-2019, 03:31 PM   #33

THOR #14340
As a side note, the brown, flowery material on the dinette will be gone as soon as we can find someone to match the leather on the seats. As are the pillows, etc.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:34 PM   #34
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
The shopping list is growing...
Old 08-31-2019, 04:36 PM   #35

THOR #12329
Quote:
Lol, “Freight Shaker”. I hadn’t heard that term, but then again, I’ve not owned a diesel MH before. Did I make a mistake getting one built on the Freightliner XC chassis?

The Tiffin is a 2009 model with a 6.7 turbo diesel. It’s not really about faster speeds, it’s more about the torque to comfortable (and quietly) traverse the mountains with a loaded MH, while pulling a 5,500 lb Jeep. The V-10 was working great on the open road, just didn't like it going up the mountain grades.

I paid $96K for the Tiffin with 18,000 miles. I could have spent another $20K and bought a new Hurricane with V-10 (and 6 speed), but I prefer the older coaches with higher end amenities, diesel engine, etc. And while it’s not brand new, it’s a very nice MH, and most importantly, an affordable cash purchase.

So, I’ll re-home the 2004 35D Windsport I’ve been working on and start the process of learning about diesels. If I learn as much about this one as I did the last one, I should be a pretty smart fellow in about 6 months…
that's a lot of coach for the money,.. but it's 10yrs old... I only paid 89k for my 2019 hurricane 29m.. dual ac's and king bed full slide...but... like I said...that's a lot of coach for the money...tiffin is pretty high on the quality list...I think that the chassis you got might have the upgraded valving on the air bags... I 'll have to check...
Old 08-31-2019, 04:47 PM   #36

THOR #12329
Quote:

are you positive that's a 6.7???? i'm wrong all the time... but... I think you have an 8.3
Old 08-31-2019, 04:58 PM   #37

THOR #14340
Quote:
that's a lot of coach for the money,.. but it's 10yrs old...
Yes, it's 10 years old but that doesn't bother me. All the stuff in them breaks, regardless of who made it or how old it is. Now I get to work on something with a little better foundation! The batteries and tires are good so that's a real plus!

Here's a partial list of cool stuff that comes with it.
  • Full body paint
  • Onan 8000 Quiet Diesel generator
  • Inverter
  • Exhaust brake
  • Air suspension
  • 4 tv's, 3 inside/1 outside
  • 20FT power awning
  • 12FT slide out window awning
  • Rear and side backup cameras w/ color monitor
  • Electric double step w/ electric entrance step cover
  • Full outside basement storage w/ (2)pass thru trays
  • Central vac system
  • King size bed (sleep # and all that bs...)
  • Washer and dryer
  • Dual power leather front swivel seats
  • KingDome in-motion satellite
  • Full windshield day/night power shades
Old 08-31-2019, 04:59 PM   #38

THOR #14340
Quote:
are you positive that's a 6.7???? i'm wrong all the time... but... I think you have an 8.3
I'll find out for sure but it'll be next week before I can talk with anyone. Hurricane is got everyone sidetracked...
Old 08-31-2019, 05:07 PM   #39

THOR #12329
another thing,.... your coach has all the plus's 32,000 lb chassis,... 10,000 lb tow cap.....bigger allisen trans ,..268 wheel base.... gonna be a dream to drive... bet you won't know if the jeep is back there or not..
Old 08-31-2019, 05:15 PM   #40

THOR #12329
Quote:
Yes, it's 10 years old but that doesn't bother me. All the stuff in them breaks, regardless of who made it or how old it is. Now I get to work on something with a little better foundation! The batteries and tires are good so that's a real plus!

Here's a partial list of cool stuff that comes with it.
  • Full body paint
  • Onan 8000 Quiet Diesel generator
  • Inverter
  • Exhaust brake
  • Air suspension
  • 4 tv's, 3 inside/1 outside
  • 20FT power awning
  • 12FT slide out window awning
  • Rear and side backup cameras w/ color monitor
  • Electric double step w/ electric entrance step cover
  • Full outside basement storage w/ (2)pass thru trays
  • Central vac system
  • King size bed (sleep # and all that bs...)
  • Washer and dryer
  • Dual power leather front swivel seats
  • KingDome in-motion satellite
  • Full windshield day/night power shades
LOL...not the point... the point I was "TRY"N" to make is,... you got a 350k motorhome if it was a 2020...the price you paid was like free...you can't even start to compare any gas coach to a tiffin pusher...and again... pretty sure you got a big block 8.3 great motors...million miles