Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2017, 09:57 PM   #21

State: Arizona
THOR #7430
Thanks moondoggie happy trails

Old 06-14-2017, 10:21 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Arkansas
THOR #6634
Ok, rotate from a half dozen other problems back to this one. Since my original clogged pipe I've been to the dump station twice. After first the black, then gray water tanks stopped draining I rinsed the hose, put it away and went inside. Monitor indicates Gray water tank is empty, black tank is 2/3rds full. First time I chalked it up to my error--maybe toilet paper was holding it up and I should wait for any trickle to stop. Second time I made absolutely sure all flow had stopped. Still reads 2/3 full.
Plan now is to use campground toilets as often as possible until we get home. I have a good dump station there and I plan to flush full bowls of water while pouring in fresh water from a 5 gallon tank. Does that sound like it may take care of the problem? Any other suggestions as to how to clear up this mess would be appreciated.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:01 PM   #23
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Having a black water tank ready 2/3 full when actually empty is most likely a sensor problem and is very common in RVs.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:13 PM   #24

THOR #6634
Could be, but there are only 2 of us and the monitor shows full after 4 or 5 days. (It hasn't backed up since our original problem--just going by the monitor readings).
Old 06-14-2017, 11:29 PM   #25
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
That is also common with fouled sensors; they make it read one or two ticks "higher" than it really is.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:12 AM   #26

THOR #6634
That would sure make for an easy solution. I'll clean it out best I can and take the monitor readings with a grain of salt!
Old 06-15-2017, 02:38 AM   #27

State: Colorado
THOR #5477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggie View Post
That would sure make for an easy solution. I'll clean it out best I can and take the monitor readings with a grain of salt!

Put a about 10 gallons of water to tank after draining. Then put in dish washer detergent to tank and let it scrub your tank while you drive. Use the powder detergent. Will clean tank while you drive. Works well.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:43 AM   #28
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by philvickie View Post
Put a about 10 gallons of water to tank after draining. Then put in dish washer detergent to tank and let it scrub your tank while you drive. Use the powder detergent. Will clean tank while you drive. Works well.
Don't forget the bag of ice cubes!
Old 06-15-2017, 03:33 AM   #29

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
The sensors are worthless, as I said before ice cubes, magic mixtures, over priced sensor cleaners all might help til the next tank full. I go by the sound when flushing to determine when to dump or do it weekly, forget the POS sensors.
I do add a healthy squirt of the dollar store liquid dish soap or liquid laundry detergent in about 5 gallons of water while traveling. As far as ice cubes, in my opinion, unless you dump lots of bags (like 5-6 10lb bags) of ice & took off immediately the ice would melt long before it would slosh around enough to do any good.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:43 AM   #30
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Just going to leave this here:
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:44 PM   #31

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Friends of ours never used RV wipe either. They said a dealer told them when they bought their first RV that they only had to use "septic tank safe" paper. It took a few years but their black tank gate valve finally got stuck partially open with toilet paper. Gate valve had to be replaced which was a very crappy job!

Scotts RV toilet paper sold at WM is inexpensive and high quality. The correct paper and tons of water is about the best you can do.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:57 AM   #32

State: Alaska
THOR #7567
Hello, you are right. Make sure to have toilet on drivers side of coach. That way it drops right into the sump part of the tank. I have called Thor twice and dealer too. They said they would get back to me. So far they havent
Old 06-28-2017, 03:05 PM   #33

THOR #7430
You have to use a ton of water. People think they are saving it but it really does dilute everything with the right amount of chemicals you will never have a clog.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:07 PM   #34

THOR #7430
Make sure the toilet paper says septic safe period even with that put one sheet in a cup of water stir with a fork if it doesn't break up and get slimy with in a minute don't use it.