Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2018, 05:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
12v TV

In my never ending search to enable me to boondocking in reasonable comfort, I’m considering changing out the Seiki over the door of my Axis with a 12/110v 1080 LED Smart TV.
The problem is I have no idea how to power it! Would I need to install a 12v outlet or is there an adapter that I could use that would allow me to switch between 12v and 110?
Thanks

Old 01-16-2018, 06:58 PM   #2

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
I had a 2015 forest river greywolf trailer that had a 12v socket next to the tv mount. I used a 13" tv that came with a inline transformer to input 12v to the tv. Used a car adapter and ran it off the 12v. I don't think that they make any larger tvs that way.

My 2017 outlaw has a invertor that powers the three ac recepticals for the tvs. Invertor has a internal transfer switch so I only need it when boondocking
Old 01-16-2018, 09:45 PM   #3

Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
My Axis doesn’t have an inverter. I’m still hoping to have one installed, but can’t find anyone willing to do the work.
In the meantime I was hoping to get a 12v/110v TV, but in my research I can’t find that option.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:27 PM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Really don't need the 110v option - as anytime you are plugged in - you will have plenty of 12v power as well...
However the choices for 12v TVs tend to be limited in size.

I didn't want to lose the larger TV, but wanted the flexibility of 12v.
I added a 13inch 12v TV in our bedroom for use when boondocking... It is out of sight mounted to the back of the door holding the 110v TV with a 'swing down' mount...
Open the cabinet (regular TV points to ceiling) and swing the 12v TV down - and along with the 12v smart Blu Ray player (we use with either TV) and connection to 12v AT&T Mobley - watch anything we like while disconnected.
Not as nice as the 32" main TV - but if I wanted all the 'creature comforts' - I wouldn't be boondocking!

Took a little looking to find a 12v smart Blu Ray - Ours is Sony - picked up at Best Buy a couple of years ago.

An option for a larger TV with a 'brick' providing power might be a voltage stepping circuit... But if the TV takes 110v directly into it - an inverter is needed.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:50 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
Any idea of the efficiency of straight 12V power vs. inverter generated 110V?
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:24 PM   #6
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
Any idea of the efficiency of straight 12V power vs. inverter generated 110V?
Hard to quantify without knowing specific components... but...
Every conversion has loss/inefficiencies.

Running on direct 12vDC has to be more efficient than 12vDC to inverter converting to 110vAC to brick/transformer converting back to 12v DC...

The waters muddy if you start needing voltage stepping circuits to get to 19v... but still would think a more efficient circuit would be possible than the conversion to AC and back.

Of course if the TV/device doesn't have an external brick/transformer - little choice other than an inverter - unless you want to open/mod the device.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote