Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2019, 09:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Louisiana
THOR #7882
Tow vehicle

I am considering towing a vehicle behind my motorhome. Thoughts on what vehicles are the best to tow ? I am leaning to purchase a manual transmission Jeep.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:53 PM   #2

State: Alabama
THOR #13602
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyC View Post
I am considering towing a vehicle behind my motorhome. Thoughts on what vehicles are the best to tow ? I am leaning to purchase a manual transmission Jeep.

Mini Cooper s, 6speed, fwd- u won’t know its back there....
Old 02-22-2019, 11:21 PM   #3

THOR #7882
Thank you
Old 02-23-2019, 12:04 AM   #4

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
We had a 4WD Jeep with automatic transmission that was a piece of cake to hook up and tow. We also have a Ford Focus manual transmission that is also very easy. Jeep seems to be a very popular make as a toad. Motor Home Magazine puts out an annual supplement on Toads. I think the supplement is also online. Great resource when looking for a toad. Also, this has been hashed and rehashed many times on this forum. Do a search for toad or four down as a start.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:47 AM   #5

THOR #7882
What did you have to do to prepare the Jeep for towing?
Old 02-23-2019, 12:21 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
your question is common for anyone new to the idea of 'towing' their personal vehicle, but it's also VERY subjective - you'll find that almost anyone that is towing is going to say that 'their' vehicle is the best vehicle, since that's what they have experience in.

your final decision should be based on 'how' you are going to use it, where you are thinking you are going to drive it, how much you want to spend on it, and what you think other people are going to 'think' about it, at least if that's your goal.

you'll find that Ford Focus tow'ers are very, very satisfied with their easy, light, and very economically minded 4 door sedan or hatchback automatic vehicles. you'll also find a very strong 'jeep' or 'honda crv' crowd that is very, very set in their own views of what is 'best'...

ultimately, only YOU can decide...but there are many, many types, brands, and styles of vehicles you can tow. you want to keep it within your towing weight parameters for your GVCWR of your coach, but otherwise it's simply a personal choice.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:58 PM   #7

THOR #2020
Quote:
What did you have to do to prepare the Jeep for towing?

We had a baseplate, wiring and breakaway switch installed. We also purchased an auxiliary brake unit. Finally, we also had to purchase the tow bar itself. We purchased everything from Etrailer because we live close and they do free installation. Any RV dealer should be able to assist with the install and hookup instructions. Some people on the forum have done the installation on their own. Even if you don’t buy from Etrailer take a look at their instructional videos. They are excellent.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:21 PM   #8

THOR #7882
Thanks
Old 02-23-2019, 03:49 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx43 View Post
Mini Cooper s, 6speed, fwd- u won’t know its back there....

When I wanted to tow my manual transmission Mini a few years back I discovered that Mini did not recommend flat towing. They couldn’t tell me why though. Has this changed with newer models? I really like that car!

I bought a 5 speed 2014 Ford Focus and the only thing you need to do to tow it is put the transmission in neutral. Doesn’t even need the key in the ignition as the steering does not lock. Easy peasy
Old 02-23-2019, 03:59 PM   #10

THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
When I wanted to tow my manual transmission Mini a few years back I discovered that Mini did not recommend flat towing. They couldn’t tell me why though. Has this changed with newer models? I really like that car!

I bought a 5 speed 2014 Ford Focus and the only thing you need to do to tow it is put the transmission in neutral. Doesn’t even need the key in the ignition as the steering does not lock. Easy peasy

We have a 2015 Focus w/ Manuel transmission. One other thing you need to do other than putting it in neutral is make sure parking brake is released. Automatic transmission requires battery disconnect. Remote disconnect for battery is available though.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:21 PM   #11

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
You don't have to have a manual transmission with most Jeeps to tow.
Unless you just want a manual.

Newer auto Jeeps with 4X4 ADII are towable. Pre 2019 (Cherokee)with electric steering will need a wiring harness added.

Personally we liked our Ford Cmax much better than our Cherokee for towing, MUCH easer to hook up and unhook!

I did a self install on both using parts and video from etrailer .
Old 02-23-2019, 04:22 PM   #12

Model: 32.1 ACE
THOR #14323
PT Cruiser Toad

I bought a one owner PT Cruiser that according to Carfax the oil was changed every 5000 miles from purchase to sale, with 107,000.

Plan on towing it behind a Thor 32.1 with a ACME dolly, if it ever gets delivered. It's sitting in San Antonio for the last 3 days. Fedex Frieght said they hoped for Monday.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:43 PM   #13

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I’m currently towing a Toyota Prius on a Demco tow dolly

For me, it was all about $$$

I didn’t want to purchase another/new vehicle, instead only needed to purchase a used $700 tow dolly to pull my Prius
Old 02-24-2019, 12:54 AM   #14

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
We have a 2015 Focus w/ Manuel transmission. One other thing you need to do other than putting it in neutral is make sure parking brake is released. Automatic transmission requires battery disconnect. Remote disconnect for battery is available though.

Copy that! Interesting story, when I bought my Focus I noticed that the steering on the car I was looking at did not lock when the key was removed.and the dealer (Ford) said it should and must be broken. I don’t know about the automatic transmission models but this is normal on the manual focuses (Foci?). Not sure why it’s that way but it’s a great feature for a toad.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:28 PM   #15

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Quote:

Our Mini is a 2012 6-speed manual and the owners guide is quite specific that it may be flat towed. We’ve towed it over 10k miles.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:34 PM   #16

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
my '14 Focus SE is a CVS automatic, just put in neutral and pull, and also cutoff the 12v and remove the key, if you wish... easy - 90,000miles.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:19 AM   #17

State: Alabama
THOR #13602
Quote:

Mine is a 2002 and has transitioned from 3 RV’s currently being pulled by a DP, almost 60k towed miles, car has 120k on it - no issues.
Mini tells me at every service that they don’t recommend it. I tell them I know and it keeps getting a clean bill of health, so I suppose a few years when it’s 20 years old I’ll say it’s passed the “proven test” for me.
Btw it’s a fwd and 6 speed and it doesn’t increase mileage as it rolls.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2733.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	15851
Old 02-26-2019, 02:28 AM   #18

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
we tow a 2015 fiat 500 pop manual trans...put it in neutral and go, but like said... to each his own...I had a smart car, but wanted a back seat for the dogs...that and bigger trunk
Old 02-26-2019, 05:19 AM   #19

THOR #7882
Thanks for all the help.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:30 AM   #20

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I think the question is like chicken or beef at a wedding reception. It doesn't really matter. We currently tow a 2011 Honda CR-V. Previous toads were Izuzu Trooper, PT Cruiser, Chevy Cobalt, Ford Ranger. All have towed well.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote