Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2017, 04:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
Towing a full size pick up truck

I would appreciate any advice/feedback from folks who flat tow full size pick up trucks with their motor home. I have an 8K towing capacity and the truck weighs 5,300lbs. The motor home is a 2016 Miramar 34.2 with a V-10 Triton engine. Thank you

Old 11-05-2017, 05:03 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
First of all have you weighed the coach?
Your GCWR is 26,000lbs if the coach weighs any more than 20,700 lbs you won't be able to pull the truck.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:07 PM   #3

THOR #3584
JamieGeek,I remember you gave me some advice a while ago when we were just thinking about doing this, now if possible it’s going to happen. The motorhome weighs 26,000 pounds like you said, you don’t think this can happen?
Old 11-05-2017, 05:43 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by suenmike View Post
JamieGeek,I remember you gave me some advice a while ago when we were just thinking about doing this, now if possible it’s going to happen. The motorhome weighs 26,000 pounds like you said, you don’t think this can happen?
He didn't say your MH weighed 26000 lbs, but if it did, and if your GCWR is 26000 lbs, then you can't tow anything, not to mention you would be 4000 lbs over your GVWR of 22000 lbs.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:48 PM   #5

THOR #3584
Ok, thank you
Old 11-05-2017, 05:48 PM   #6

Model: Aria 3401
State: California
THOR #8959
Quote:

I think he is referring to "GVWR" or Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.

That is the total of ALL things in and on your RV, fuel, food, water etc, when you roll over the scales, you can not exceed that number on the RV tires. You CAN however tow a trailer or pick up truck for that matter that would then give you a Gross Combined Vehicle Weight , or GCVW. Your RV probably has a 26K GVWR rating, but you need to Verify that number for sure. It will be on the tags from the manufacturer. On a 4 wheels down tow, you have no additional tongue weight so you would not be adding anything to your GVWR, only the Combined Total weight.

With being said, your for sure will need a braking system to help you stop. You will also be slow on hills and grades with the V10. Not an issue as long as you are mindful of the load you are piloting and remain safe.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:06 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvanling View Post
I think he is referring to "GVWR" or Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.

That is the total of ALL things in and on your RV, fuel, food, water etc, when you roll over the scales, you can not exceed that number on the RV tires. You CAN however tow a trailer or pick up truck for that matter that would then give you a Gross Combined Vehicle Weight , or GCVW. Your RV probably has a 26K GVWR rating, but you need to Verify that number for sure. It will be on the tags from the manufacturer. On a 4 wheels down tow, you have no additional tongue weight so you would not be adding anything to your GVWR, only the Combined Total weight.

With being said, your for sure will need a braking system to help you stop. You will also be slow on hills and grades with the V10. Not an issue as long as you are mindful of the load you are piloting and remain safe.

Hope this helps.
The GVWR on that coach is 22,000 lbs, GCWR is 26,000 lbs just to be clear.

They will only know how much it weighs by taking it to a scale.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:13 PM   #8

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I know people that do tow full size SUV's and pick up trucks, but all that I know of are towing with a large 42+ foot DP. I would not suggest towing that much weight with gasoline power, and certainly not with an RV that weighs 26,000 pounds or less.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:04 PM   #9

THOR #3584
Thanks guys fall advice
Old 11-07-2017, 10:06 AM   #10

Model: Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #9030
towing full size pickup

SuenMike, I tow a ford supercab pickup, also about 5300 lbs, with my 2017 thor outlaw 29h. I have the 5 star tune but everything else is stock on my e450 ford v10. I also use the RVI braking system for the pickup. I have not had any problems towing this pickup. The power seems adequate for towing. I do not carry anything in the garage when towing the pickup but carry a Goldwing trike in the garage when I travel without the pickup No problems so far with either hauling the Goldwing or towing pickup with this rig.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:17 PM   #11

THOR #3584
oldtymer, how far have you towed your truck, how many miles?
Old 11-08-2017, 04:46 PM   #12

Model: Challenger 37KT
THOR #2628
Quote:
I would appreciate any advice/feedback from folks who flat tow full size pick up trucks with their motor home. I have an 8K towing capacity and the truck weighs 5,300lbs. The motor home is a 2016 Miramar 34.2 with a V-10 Triton engine. Thank you

I had a full size F150 when I bought my challenger, after some quick math it was way to much weight to safely tow. Just because the hitch is rated at 8k, gas class A generally can't or should not tow that much (all though I have seen it, I wouldn't recommend it). We ended up with a small SUV to tow.

KC
Old 11-08-2017, 06:37 PM   #13

Model: Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #9030
SuenMike, I have towed this pickup with my class c rig approximately 1000 miles mostly on the east coast so far. I bought this rig in March of this year and mostly haul a Goldwing Trike in the garage without towing. When I tow the pickup, I do not put anything heavy in the garage. Prior to this rig, I had a 40 ft diesel pusher (350 hp) and towed this pickup and a Jeep Cherokee over most of the US and parts of Canada. I find the Ford V10 (e450) seems to tow just as well as the big rig. I have had no problems driving at highway speeds, climbing hills (no mountains yet), and braking towing the pickup. Hope this helps
Old 11-08-2017, 08:37 PM   #14

THOR #3584
It does help, thank you very much. I did call Thor and their technician said I was well within the weight of towing, And at the V 10 engine Could handle this with no problem
Old 11-09-2017, 12:54 AM   #15
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
It does help, thank you very much. I did call Thor and their technician said I was well within the weight of towing, And at the V 10 engine Could handle this with no problem
So did you weigh your rig loaded for travel? Not sure how the tech could say you were within limits without knowing that weight... Since it depends what you added in cargo.

GCWR - (weight of toad) = max weight of loaded rig....
26,000 - 5300 = 20,700 lbs max loaded weight.

If you are under that, then good to go.. with toad supplemental brakes.
Remember to include weight of passengers, fuel, water, propane....
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:00 AM   #16

THOR #3584
Thank you, I go and get it weighed
Old 11-09-2017, 01:12 AM   #17

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
Your V-10 will be more than capable of towing at the GCVW of 26,000. You will definitely need the auxiliary braking installed if you do the mountains and also as a requirement by law in most states.

If you use a very large drop hitch on your MH to create a level tow bar you may want to have a welding shop evaluate and strengthen if needed the welds where the hitch mounts to the MH as it will effectively reduce the 8,000 lb rating due to the increased leverage of the drop hitch. I have seen and heard of quite a few welds that have failed on the stress of lengthy drop hitches.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:34 AM   #18

Model: PALAZZO 33.3
State: Illinois
THOR #5696
These guys are all wrong with the GVW The toad is not IN the coach and is not included in the GVW Matter as fact with a flat tow there isn't even any tongue weight...I tow a 7000 boat all the time with no problem behind a 32 Diesel pusher I plan to tow a Ram 1500 (only 4700 with brakes) and know it will handle it..
Retired Firefighter/Paramedic, Truck Driver
C WITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 02:47 AM   #19
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by C WITT View Post
These guys are all wrong with the GVW The toad is not IN the coach and is not included in the GVW Matter as fact with a flat tow there isn't even any tongue weight...I tow a 7000 boat all the time with no problem behind a 32 Diesel pusher I plan to tow a Ram 1500 (only 4700 with brakes) and know it will handle it..
Don't know which guys you are referring to...
But no one was including the weight of toad IN the RV, nor any saying it added any significant tongue weight, but rather the GCWR - Gross COMBINED weight rating of 26,000 pounds which does include the weight of toad (or anything being towed).
No one said the V10 couldn't handle the 26,000 pounds either...

The comment was to be sure as loaded, the COMBINED rig is under the GCWR - combined weight rating...

Manufacturer's like to quote high tow ratings which are not always achievable with a loaded coach.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:11 AM   #20

Model: Hurticane 34J
State: Massachusetts
THOR #1987
Not to disparage anyone here, but on every forum and every site the weight police are deputized and in full force. I have been towing a 2017 Ram 1500 4WD Crew Cab Laramie for about a year with absolutely no problems. I have Blue Ox Avail tow bars, Brake Buddy Vantage Select, 10k lbs safety cables, and I always use the breakaway cable. I have a 2014 coach with the older 5000lbs hitch and I know for a fact I’m a few hundred pounds over that with my set up. I inspect the hitch, where it attaches to the frame, and my equipment before and after every trip and I have no issues. I was towing a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara prior to this truck and my Ram actually tows much better. I hardly know it’s back there. With the Jeep I hardly used the tow/haul mode, but with the heavier truck I use the mode in traffic and hilly areas. With the tow/haul mode my Brake Buddy actually activates less with the truck than it did with the Jeep. I do most of my traveling in the hilly and rough roads of the Northeast with no problems at all. With the right equipment you will have no issues towing a full sized pick up within your coach.