Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2018, 10:07 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
I would also think that the chassis manufacturer attaches the hitches at their factory, not Thor, itself.
If by chassis manufacturer you mean Ford or Chevy, I doubt that’s the case since so many motorhomes have chassis extensions added. I expect the receiver is added by MorRyde or equivalent prior to shipping to Thor.

Having said that, I agree Thor should be notified, and held responsible.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:58 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
These hitch failures need to be reported to the NTSB. I would love to know the manufacture of all the hitches that have failed.

Having spent 35+ years supplying GM, Ford and many other Tier one auto suppliers with raw steel to be transformed into safety related parts These incidents would not be taken lightly. Any part, that if it failed, could lead to an accident or injury were usually over engineered to avoid situations like these. In the failures that are documented in these posts it doesn't appear that the vehicles towed exceeded the specified weight of the hitches.

I'm going out and checking my hitch again. If I was still working I would be taking the hitch into our lab and have it professionally inspected for cracks. They would see cracks not visible to the naked eye.

Good luck finding a lasting, safe solution.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:12 PM   #23

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Interestingly enough I had dinner with my attorney last night and discussed a number of issues. It just so happened he got involved with a death-related accident (entire family) a few years ago that was related to a motorhome towing a boat. Hitch broke, boat and trailer went through front of a small car...rest of the story you can figure out. The end result and culprit/blame was the use of a "drop down hitch" installed by MH owner. Drop hitch extension was 8" and it was claimed to have changed the dynamics of the original design of hitch which is designed to work against horizontal forces. The use of the drop down changed this range of force to an arc or fulcrum, thus weakening the metal over time and resulting in the failure. It was stated that most certified hitches are designed to withstand a minimum 140% of rated capacity. The 8" drop down extension actually reduced the original capacity to less than 65%. This isn't my opinion. This is what came out of a 4 month legal action that resulted in the MH owner having his life changed forever and $2.5M settlement to the estate of the deceased. Whatever you do to your hitch...have your system inspected with your modifications/drop downs/etc., in-place before hitting the road.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:22 PM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I never knew that the goose-neck would affect the strength of the entire package like that...
If I get a Toad after selling my Spyder: I'll keep this in mind!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:30 PM   #25

THOR #11130
It's important...MH's are the only thing that come with a "factory hitch" three feet off the ground! Some type of modification will be necessary...period. I even had to install a 10" straight extension just so my rear carrier rack would clear the ladder.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:32 PM   #26
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
It's important...MH's are the only thing that come with a "factory hitch" three feet off the ground! Some type of modification will be necessary...period. I even had to install a 10" straight extension just so my rear carrier rack would clear the ladder.
The hitch on our Axis is the perfect height for our dolly--no drop needed.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:33 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'll take some hitch height measurements, and go shopping for a lifted Jeep CJ!
Old 08-17-2018, 12:38 PM   #28

THOR #11130
Bob..that's exactly what I am looking at now. Saw a nice one go for $7K on Mecum. If I go the trailer route I've already got a guy to build the tongue at a higher level so as to meet the factory hitch head to head.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:43 PM   #29

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Am I wrong or did these hitch failures start showing up after Thor went from a 5,000 pound rated hitch to a 8,000 pound rated hitch on the Challenger line?

If that is the case you have to wonder if the hitches changed or some vendor just started stamping them different.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:46 PM   #30
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
They changed the rating on my Outlaw from 5,000 lbs; to 8,000 lbs in 2018. I assumed it was due to the new 6-speed transmission.

Good question!
Old 08-17-2018, 01:07 PM   #31

THOR #11130
Transmission torque capacity is generally the factor of tow capacity. I have a 2011GMC with Duramax (430HP) and Allison 1000...tow capacity is 16,700#. I also have a Chevy 2500 Express Van with Duramax (325HP) and GM 6 Speed...tow capacity is only 10,000#. HP is reduced on van due to transmission and so is tow capacity. Also I think there's some metal stamping issues going on here.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:11 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Could the hitch have NOT been the limiting factor before: but is now?
Old 08-17-2018, 01:17 PM   #33

THOR #11130
The GM dude told me it is based on what the transmission can handle. Both have same engine but HP was cut back on van engine due to transmission tolerances. Hitch models/capacity will be matched and designed according to the limits of the vehicle's tow capacity.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:19 PM   #34
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Thor changed the hitch ratings (er started to install the 8000 lb hitch) a few years ago (like in 2015 or 2016). I know this because our Axis only has the 5000 lb hitch and we missed the 8000 lb hitch by about a year. (At least for the Axis/Vegas lines--not sure about the others; thought they all went to 8000lbs at around the same time.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:05 PM   #35

Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
Guys, just for reference this hitch failure looks very to some of the pics in this thread. I had an 2007 Rvision motorhome and this is what happened to it. I had posted it in the other hitch failure thread. I had it removed and welded. It looked like a stamped metal issue plus magnified w a dropdown issue.

As some as stated it may be mostly related to hitch and dropdowns. And I'm not an engineer but common sense tells me this.

So, maybe not entirely a Thor thing but a hitch/dropdown thing. Thor, hitch manufacturers, dropdown manufacturers, tow bar manufacturers, us, etc. appear to all have a dog in the fight and some responsibility. Thx, Dennis.

Thor Forums - View Single Post - CAUTION!!: Double Check Trailer Hitch
Old 08-17-2018, 02:58 PM   #36

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
This is very concerning to me. I’ve got a 2017 Challenger and I’m towing a 4,600 lb. Wrangler Unlimited. I use a 4” drop hitch to level the tow bar with the Jeep’s baseplate. I’ve towed the Jeep about 10,000 miles so far, and haven’t yet inspected the hitch’s attachment points to the MH’s frame. I will check it out before I take it out again, but this is just not the type of thing I would have thought was possible to happen. I hope Thor gets on top of this issue!
Old 08-17-2018, 03:35 PM   #37
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'm guessing that almost everybody who is towing; needs to use a "goose neck" hitch.
What sort of reinforcements can be done to the the hardware, in order to take this into account?
Old 08-17-2018, 03:44 PM   #38

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Food for thought ....

As stated before in other thread, the drop down extension adds to the “moment arm” length during braking; which just happens to create a torque in OPPOSITE direction that a weight distribution hitch rotates a receiver.

Notice that many/most receivers have a higher weight distribution capacity versus when same receiver is used in load carrying applications. It’s not a simple stress analysis, but one of the significant differences is that the point of failure you guys are seeing would be stressed much differently. Instead of receiver being pulled away from chassis rails at very end where it it weakest, a WD application would push the receiver into chassis at very end (or at least not pull them apart as much).

Just like WD increases capacity, it’s understandable that a drop extension would have opposite effect. The problem I see is that consumers who buy different components can’t be expected to take all these variables into account. Each piece may have a different rating, but when combined the total can be LOWER than the weakest individual component.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:29 PM   #39

THOR #11130
And kill someone....
Old 08-17-2018, 09:02 PM   #40

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
OK, here a twist. I just double checked the 8000 lb hitch on our Quantum class C.
To get the Road Master towbar level when hooked to an '05 Liberty I have a 2 1/2" RISER. So my added force is two and a half inches above the receiver center line. How does that effect the failure potential? Looking at the side plates on my hitch they appear almost double the thickness of those in the pictures and the bends have a large very noticeable radius to them. I wish there was a formula to multiply drop or rise by and subtract from the rated weight to get an idea where the safe range is. But I'm not smart enough to create it, any mechanical engineers in the crowd?