Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2016, 01:14 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #2465
Towing Smart Car

We have a 2016 Miramar and we would like to flat tow a Smart Car. Does anyone have experience with this? The car weighs about 1500 lbs. Would this require a braking system for the car? If so, what system is recommended?

Old 10-01-2016, 07:59 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
We have a 2016 Miramar and we would like to flat tow a Smart Car. Does anyone have experience with this? The car weighs about 1500 lbs. Would this require a braking system for the car? If so, what system is recommended?
I love Smart Cars! But they are just too tiny for us.

I don't have any useful ideas for you, but your post made me recall a rig we spotted near Lake Havasu Arizona on our recent road trip.

I think the little car has a Mercedes logo on it, but it's about the size of a smart car. The 5th wheel these folks were towing was HUGE! The picture was taken through our windshield and doesn't so the entire rig justice!

Eileen in AZ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rig.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	3077  
Old 10-02-2016, 12:54 AM   #3

State: Alabama
THOR #4160
I would start with Remco's website and your owner's manual to ensure it can be dingy towed. If it can, I would watch this video by Blue Ox. They run you through all the basic of flat towing plus Blue Ox truly is the best imho. Best of luck.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:59 AM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
We had a neighbor who towed a Smart car four down. I think he had a Brake Buddy.

You need to check the laws in the states you'll be in to see if brakes are required. Many do require, some don't. There are lots of cars out there being towed without any kind of brake system.

The question only you can answer is, are you prepared to lawyer up after an accident while towing an unbraked car?
Old 10-02-2016, 01:31 AM   #5

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
At the Tampa RV show a few years back there was a 45 footer with a garage that had a Smart car in it. There was a ramp that came down and you drove the car on it and the ramp lifted the Smart car up into the RV. I rented a Smart car in Santorini, Greece several years ago and was pleasantly surprised at how it drove and the room inside.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:05 AM   #6

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: South Carolina
THOR #3582
We have a Thor 31W and tow a Smart car four down. We live in Charleston SC and are now in Oregon with the Smart Car in tow without a problem. The car does weigh 1700 lbs and all you have to do is put the selector in Numeral turn the key towards off, it will not turn off and you cannot remove it. We had a disconnect added so we disconnect the battery and are ready to go. Depending on the State you may need a break assist. We have a break buddy so we can change cars if we ever want to and just readjust the break. We have put on 4200 miles towing the toad and the toad has 2000 miles taking us around from the campgrounds.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:58 AM   #7

State: Missouri
THOR #5697
The Wynns (of the blog Gone With The Wynns) flat towed a Smart Car. Here's one of their videos. How To and How Not To Tow a Car Behind an RV Hope it helps you.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:03 PM   #8

State: Indiana
THOR #4825
Don't buy a 2016 Smart car because they can't be towed! We bought one to tow behind our Vegas and prior to that Smart Cars could be towed. However, neither the Indianapolis Dealer or the Orlando Dealer were not aware that the 2016 could not be towed. That was our first question out of our mouth when we went to buy. They changed the suspension and other thing on the 2016 and they cannot be towed all four down. My DH loves his smart car so we kept it but can't towed it the way we wanted too. Lesson learned.
Connie, Indiana
2015 Vegas 24.1
Old 10-18-2016, 09:35 PM   #9

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eternal Explorer View Post
The Wynns (of the blog Gone With The Wynns) flat towed a Smart Car. Here's one of their videos. How To and How Not To Tow a Car Behind an RV Hope it helps you.
Thanks for posting. Watching those videos makes me question whether a tiny Smart-Car-size trailer may not be easier and less hassle. There is a lot going on with flat towing that car.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:17 PM   #10

Model: A.C.E. 27.1
State: New York
THOR #4585
Smart Car Toad - recently heard that 2016 is towable

Friends told me that recently a new advisorary came out from Smart stating that the 2016 automatic Smart cars are towable 4 down. Can anyone confirm that?

We don't tow - yet, but if we decide to tow it will most likely be a Smart car. The neatest Smart car we've seen was in a Thor Outlaw and it was skinned to match the Outlaw. Very "smart" looking!!!!
Old 10-19-2016, 06:04 PM   #11

THOR #4825
We went around and around with the Smart Car people about this and they said no. We purchased our Smart Car 2016 in October of 2015. Since they had all been towed in the past, the sales people didn't even know they had changed. This was the only reason we purchased it since we had the Vegas 2015 24.1. They didn't even have tow bars available at that time because the 2016 is four inch wider than the previous models. Basically, you can't believe anyone until you read the manual that comes with your car. Manufacturers change year to year on same models that were once towable. My DH likes the car and we get extremely good gas mileage. If I remember correctly in our manual, it stated you could tow the car at 30 mpr for 30 miles - now, who would do that. We still don't have a towable car. We flatbed our Smart car from Florida to Indiana.
I truthfully didn't want to buy the Vegas not because I didn't like the looks or floor plan but because it was new and I knew all the kinks were not worked out but DH was smitten. Its even to short for a dolly. We have travel out west and to Florida and really don't miss the car. Only a few instances have we said we wished we had one. However, every one is not a senior citizen and would like to have that option. LOL
Connie, Indiana
2015 Vegas 24.1
Old 10-20-2016, 02:44 PM   #12

Model: A.C.E. 27.1
State: New York
THOR #4585
FWIW
Smart Car of America forums has a 9/27/16 post "CONFIRMED SMART 453 (DCT only) can be flat towed YES !!!" with a picture of someone towing a 2016 Smart car and says that Mercedes will be updating it owners manual.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:01 PM   #13

THOR #4825
Thanks SuzeQ, I will be definitely looking into this. Thanks for the information.
Connie
Old 10-23-2016, 10:47 PM   #14

Model: 2016 Freedom Elite 29FE
State: Mississippi
THOR #5561
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeliec View Post
I don't have any useful ideas for you, but your post made me recall a rig we spotted near Lake Havasu Arizona on our recent road trip.
Eileen, we just saw this same rig 2 hours ago in Wallace Creek COE Campground in Enid, Mississippi. When I saw it, today, I remembered the picture you posted (because I thought it was a great rig). How funny - they're really getting around.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:35 PM   #15
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
My last trip to Charleston there was a Super C Toy Hauler on an International chassis that had a smart car in the garage.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:53 PM   #16

THOR #2121
Quote:
I love Smart Cars! But they are just too tiny for us.

I think the little car has a Mercedes logo on it, but it's about the size of a smart car. The 5th wheel these folks were towing was HUGE! The picture was taken through our windshield and doesn't so the entire rig justice!

Eileen in AZ
That's a nice setup with lots of flexibility. The truck may have a rear seat, so perhaps they can unhook occasionally in case they needed space for more than two people.

The original Smart cars (by Mercedes) where just under the 102-inch length that would normally be permitted on highways if hauled across truck; if I recall correctly. I think newer ones are closer to 106 inches, so I wonder if traveling with them sidewards like that ever becomes an issue with law enforcement.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:47 AM   #17

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosbirn View Post
Eileen, we just saw this same rig 2 hours ago in Wallace Creek COE Campground in Enid, Mississippi. When I saw it, today, I remembered the picture you posted (because I thought it was a great rig). How funny - they're really getting around.
That's amazing! We didn't get a chance to talk with these folks...would have loved to find out a little more about their rig and lifestyle. They were just finishing up when we pulled in, so I grabbed my camera and snapped this shot through the front window. By the time hubby got out of the coach to go fill up, they were leaving. Seems they do get around! :-)
Old 10-28-2016, 06:12 AM   #18

THOR #5561
Quote:
That's amazing! We didn't get a chance to talk with these folks...would have loved to find out a little more about their rig and lifestyle. They were just finishing up when we pulled in, so I grabbed my camera and snapped this shot through the front window. By the time hubby got out of the coach to go fill up, they were leaving. Seems they do get around! :-)
We live about 1-1/2 hours away from the Enid Lake COE campground . So last weekend we drove to the campground to check it out before we reserved a site. Now we're here camping. 😀 Tonight , were walking our dogs and guess what ...they're still here. Maybe we'll get a chance to talk to them. I love their rig. Great idea.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:22 PM   #19

THOR #2121
Interesting to watch some of the loading equipment. Seems similar to tow trucks, except off side rather than back of truck. Others use long ramps and drive the car up onto truck bed.

https://youtu.be/X094-_CkC7w
Old 10-29-2016, 04:49 AM   #20

THOR #5561
Wow. Interesting. ��

Tags
dingy braking system, flat tow, smart car