Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2015, 10:46 PM   #21
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergreen49
What model Acme model are you using? And what is the approximate cost with all necessary attachments, cables etc?
I picked up the standard "Disc brake tow dolly" that they sell there ($1,499.99). In addition to the dolly I also picked up a spare tire and an extra set of wheel straps.

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:22 PM   #22

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergreen49 View Post
What model Acme model are you using? And what is the approximate cost with all necessary attachments, cables etc?
I too have the standard 2014 model steel ramp, hydraulic disc brake, LED taillight Acme dolly, (however I purchased on CL for $900 from someone who had just purchased a 5th wheel). And, I purchased new dolly basket straps directly from the manufacturer.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:50 AM   #23
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Just finished towing our Escape on the dolly behind our Axis for a 200 mile trip. I estimate that the car+dolly weigh in at a smidge over 4000 lbs (yeah didn't get them weighed yet).
The Axis easily handles the job. At times you do notice it's back there (like catching a gust of wind seems to have a bigger affect with the toad). Since my straps are new I did stop frequently to re tighten them--at the first stop they were pretty loose but after that they remained tight.
Since we were pulling the wife's car she was looking over everything at every stop LOL.

They even match:
Old 05-16-2015, 11:34 PM   #24

Model: Vegas
State: Oregon
THOR #1838
Towing A Subaru

We tow a 2015 Subaru Forester with manual transmission. I had a Roadmaster Invisibrake installed so hook up is quick and easy. I have to keep checking the rear camera to make sure the car is is still there as it tows so easily. This is our 3rd Subaru we've towed behind a motorhome. The last two were diesel pushers so having the engine up front in the Vegas screaming 4000 RPM going up a mountain pass is a bit different. We're getting used to it though.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:17 AM   #25

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Just finished towing our Escape on the dolly behind our Axis for a 200 mile trip. I estimate that the car+dolly weigh in at a smidge over 4000 lbs (yeah didn't get them weighed yet).
The Axis easily handles the job. At times you do notice it's back there (like catching a gust of wind seems to have a bigger affect with the toad). Since my straps are new I did stop frequently to re tighten them--at the first stop they were pretty loose but after that they remained tight.
Since we were pulling the wife's car she was looking over everything at every stop LOL.

They even match:
Thats a good looking rig Jamie! Great to hear you didn't have any problems towing.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:47 AM   #26

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
I wondered what effect a toad might have on the little RUV... pleasantly surprised that it does great with a 4100lb JK! Was planning to tow a focus we got partly because it was 4 down towable in an auto tranny but in the end, off-road capabilities lead to another wrangler.

Got more appropriate adventure shoes on the toad today
Old 05-17-2015, 12:53 AM   #27

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #1466
Don't worry bthode, the V-10 does scream when it winds out. It is designed to run at high rpm. It took me a while to get used to that, too, in our 2010 Tiffin. The Tiffin screamed louder than our Vegas. It doesn't hurt the engine a bit, tho. I am installing the Fat Max sound barrier in the doghouse to help with the noise. The guys on this blog used this, and they say it works pretty good to quiet the coach down. One thing I am doing is to put up some type of curtain behind the front seats to keep the cool air in the cab area. Here in Florida, the dash AC just wont cut it especially since the windshield is such a greenhouse. No need for the AC to try to cool the whole coach.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:05 AM   #28

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthode@gmail.com View Post
We tow a 2015 Subaru Forester with manual transmission. I had a Roadmaster Invisibrake installed so hook up is quick and easy. I have to keep checking the rear camera to make sure the car is is still there as it tows so easily. This is our 3rd Subaru we've towed behind a motorhome. The last two were diesel pushers so having the engine up front in the Vegas screaming 4000 RPM going up a mountain pass is a bit different. We're getting used to it though.
Look into the 5star tuner. It makes all the difference in the world! Mine no longer scream at 4000 and seldom goes over 3200. There is also a gear that ford apparently doesn't program in which I guess is what causes the screaming downshifts.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:07 PM   #29
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
I can concour on the 5-star tuner. We had one on our F-350 for towing our 5th wheel. It added some HP and mpg at the same time. Well worth the $.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:40 PM   #30

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
Look into the 5star tuner. It makes all the difference in the world! Mine no longer scream at 4000 and seldom goes over 3200. There is also a gear that ford apparently doesn't program in which I guess is what causes the screaming downshifts.
May I ask - what is a 5star tuner? Sorry - a real newbie here!

Eileen
Old 05-17-2015, 08:52 PM   #31

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeliec View Post
May I ask - what is a 5star tuner? Sorry - a real newbie here!

Eileen
Of course you can

It is a small decide that will reprogram the engines computer for maximum HP, torque or mileage or a blend of all. They will ask what is the most important things for you, for instance if you don't tow a vehicle and want max mileage. It also re programs the transmission for better shifting and control of rpm.

Custom Dynomemeter Chassis Tuning Products and Services - 5 Star Tuning
Old 05-18-2015, 02:34 AM   #32

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
Of course you can

It is a small decide that will reprogram the engines computer for maximum HP, torque or mileage or a blend of all. They will ask what is the most important things for you, for instance if you don't tow a vehicle and want max mileage. It also re programs the transmission for better shifting and control of rpm.

Custom Dynomemeter Chassis Tuning Products and Services - 5 Star Tuning
Thank you so much! I'll share this information with Stan. It sounds like something he might want to consider doing.

Question - does this kind of a modification void any warranty on the coach or the engine?

Thanks again for the helpful info!

Eileen
Old 05-18-2015, 02:53 AM   #33

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
For those considering the 5 Star Tune there is an interesting thread over in IRV2. It seems the device works really well, but it will void the Ford powertrain warranty.

Regards

Randy
Old 05-18-2015, 03:07 AM   #34

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Missouri
THOR #1971
What is being used for a brake controller on the Axis/Vegas for a toad?
Old 05-18-2015, 04:59 AM   #35

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
The toad brake controllers I found were whatever is included with the braking system you choose and some didn't have a controller option. None, that I found, were compatible with a normal trailer brake controller.

I got the Blue-Ox Patriot. It's easy to use with multiple vehicles and it has a wireless dash mounted controller with a manual activation lever.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:45 AM   #36
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
The tow dolly we use has a surge brake much like a boat trailer: the weight of the car+dolly pressing against the hitch compresses a cylinder which engages the brakes on the dolly. We just finished towing our Escape (pictured above) 400 miles with it and had no issues--including a couple of "vigorous" stops.

When we first purchased the Axis I was anticipating pulling a car on a trailer so I had a brake controller installed. Our dealer found a bunch of wiring issues to the 7-wire plug during the controller install--glad I had them do it!

Yes the 5-Star tune will void the warranty. The engine computer keeps a counter of the # of times its been reprogrammed--the tuner will increment that number each time you download a tune. The Ford dealer can compare the count with the vehicles service record and void the warranty simply because they don't match. On our F-350 I waited until the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty was up before I tuned it.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:54 AM   #37
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
We're now back so we've towed the combo a total of 400 miles now. All went well, except the safety chains popped out of their channels on the way back--I had read on IRV2 where people use zip-ties to hold them in, something I may try. (These were the safeties that go from the car to the dolly--not the hitch chains.)
Old 05-18-2015, 12:57 PM   #38

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeliec View Post

Question - does this kind of a modification void any warranty on the coach or the engine?

Thanks again for the helpful info!

Eileen
Kind of a grey area, 5star claims that the reprogramming is all within fords specs for the engine. At any time the tune and be reprogrammed back to original ford program. There has been a lot of controversy over programmers over the years and the jest of it seems to be that IF you had an issue the Manufacturer would have to prove the tuner caused it. Granted you would still have to defend yourself in a court of law at your expense should it ever come to that but all this is pretty rare I would think.

I know of guys who always ran tuners and left them on when getting service work done and the dealers never worried about it. So I suppose you are at the mercy of that particular person.

If anything I would say the 5star tune is BETTER for the engine in that it uses all the gears in the transmission and reduces the screaming rpm's. Cruise control is where you will notice it specifically, anyone with a V10 ford knows that as soon as you hit the slightest hill in cruise it downshifts and starts screaming at 4000 rpm. With the tune it drops one gear usually and gradually maintains the speed up hill. It makes it a pleasure to drive. Usually when I would drive I would have to kick out the cruise on approaching a hill and try to gain some speed to prevent the screaming downshifts.

Its all a personal choice. You can risk having a claim denied during the warranty period or have the engine create more wear and tear by working harder to maintain speed which by the way will rear its ugly head as the years go by. I see people say don't worry about the screaming rpm that its built to run like that but common sense should tell you the harder you run something the more likelyhood of something happening down the road. JMHO

PS:They know that the screaming rpm will make it thru the warranty period till its off their back and wallet. After that its all on you
Old 05-18-2015, 01:56 PM   #39

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Missouri
THOR #1971
JamieGeek - Thanks for the info. I was wondering about a surge brake with a dolly. I have no current plans to tow, but was just wondering about options if the need arose.

Installing a brake controller is something I would probably not do unless towing was something I was seriously looking at doing on a regular basis.

May have to check the pin-outs on my plug after your experience.

TyCreek - Thanks for the info. I appreciate the endorsement of a braking system that has proven itself for you.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:59 PM   #40

THOR #1620
FYI, if by chance someone buys a dolly or trailer with electric brakes and you don't want to install a brake controller they now make an electric brake control unit that goes right on the trailer itself and works off inertia.

EZ Brake Instructions | American Car Dolly