Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2019, 02:32 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
Travel Resorts of America

Wife and I went thru a presentation at the Gettysburg, PA location today. I knew going in I WAS NOT buying in to anything on the spire of the moment and we didn't buy in although it is an interesting concept.

The reason for the post is I looking for info from other RVers if they have had Amy experience with this program pro or con comments welcome.

2013 Chrysler 300 "S", 1936 Chrysler C-8
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Brakeman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:57 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
First time I heard of them. Lots of complaints about them on the BBB website though.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:50 AM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13710
Read and understand what you are buying. Difficult to get out once you are tired of the product or restrictions. You can probably buy a resale and save money.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:21 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds 24F
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13098
I just got a call today from TRA about visiting one of their resorts in Gettysburg. They mentioned 21 of free camping, a tour of the resort in Gettysburg and a free lunch (of course there is no such thing). I did put them off until the weather was better and based on my research (which I have not done as of yet) I may put them off forever. I plan on following the comments in this string as part of said research
Old 03-14-2019, 01:54 AM   #5

Model: 30.2
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #471
We have been members of Travel Resorts for 4 years and have enjoyed using their 7 Campground’s and many of the Coast to Coast campgrounds in our travels. We have never had a problem getting reservations and have found all of their facilities very friendly and well maintained. We have been able to make cross country vacations staying in their properties with all the campground costs included in our membership dues.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:21 AM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Personally, I don't like "payment booklets" hanging from my apron strings or the shadow of "time share" blocking my Sunshine. No clubs or HOA's for me. I think it would limit the purpose of why you have an RV. Belonging alone will steer you in their direction on all your excursions simply to "get your money's worth". If they had never contacted you, wold you have looking into that type of arrangement???...probably not. Follow your own Sun...not someone else's.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:15 PM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I agree...

although, there seems to be a fair amount of the public, whether RVrs or not, who simply enjoy someone 'else' helping them determine when and how they stay somewhere - my parents fall into that category - while I didn't get that gene, myself.
my parents also like to take bus tours with a bus packed with other folks, letting someone 'take the reigns' of the hotel stays, where and when they go to a specific destination or location, when and where they eat, etc. That's certainly not in my own wheelhouse!

I'm the opposite, and probably like many here, traveling and parking where I want to, at my pace, with no 'push' by some membership or campground 'timeshare' where I would feel as though I needed to find one to, as previously stated, 'get my money's worth'... though, I imagine some folks might like it because it takes some of the 'unknown' out of the equation, giving them less to worry about - they don't have to plan as much and don't have to concern themselves with 'finding' an rv park or campground, though for the rest of us we understand that because of the huge number of rv parks and campgrounds around this country, it's very, very rare that many are not already available along your travel path, even WITHOUT any prior reservations.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:24 AM   #8

Model: Synergy SP24
State: New York
THOR #11543
I similarly attended the TRA offer at Gettysburg. I remember that the cost was around $7,000 and you still need to pay a yearly maintenance fee. Also, the number of parks to visit is limited to, I believe 6-7.

That is in my opinion, not worth it. Someone turned me onto Thousand Trails which, although not perfect, provides you unlimited nights' access to over 200 nationwide resorts (many fantastic, most good, some poor) for approximately $750.00 per year as a one time fee.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:28 AM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephC View Post
I similarly attended the TRA offer at Gettysburg. I remember that the cost was around $7,000 and you still need to pay a yearly maintenance fee. Also, the number of parks to visit is limited to, I believe 6-7.

That is in my opinion, not worth it. Someone turned me onto Thousand Trails which, although not perfect, provides you unlimited nights' access to over 200 nationwide resorts (many fantastic, most good, some poor) for approximately $750.00 per year as a one time fee.
I thought that $750 only got you into your "home" region and you had to pay an additional $250 (?) for each additional region you wanted to utilize. There are also other limitations as well. Gotta read the fine print.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:07 AM   #10

Model: Synergy SP24
State: New York
THOR #11543
No, the rates you state are not the current rates. You should check with TT for the latest specials. Also, if you purchase from a rep located at many of the TT resorts, you will avoid the sales tax. I purchased my membership three years ago from TT call center located in Orlando Florida and was charged sales tax.

If you sign for a four year plan, as I did starting this year, you get a discounted rate. You need to do your homework for the best plan for your needs, travel plans, locations typically visited, etc.

Also, it does not hurt to say no, a few times over, to get the best deal.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:59 AM   #11

Model: Challenger
State: Arizona
THOR #14593
We join TROA about 10 years ago. When we were very green to RVing might have been our first trip haha. We are still just weekenders. Our membership allows us to book our 90 days in advance. We have not had any problems booking. Gettysburg is our home resort now and we are there most Holiday weekends. We just purchased a new rig which comes with a year of TT which looks nice. We are going to give it a try. With the thought when we finally sell our house we will do the full TT so between the two— TT and TROA we will be pretty set.

It I had the option to do it again— I would not join TROA because of the financial investment. Could have put the money in an envelope and camped any where for a long time haha